Quantcast

Pedals

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
XT level, trail, or non- trail?

How important is that goofy cage? Is it worth a few grams?

For reference, I've tried TIME atacs, but keep going back to my old m535s. I prefer the way they feel and how I know exactly when I'm going to clip out. The float is fine. I just want something lighter, as my 535s are now 17 years old.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looking at the pedals when clipped in, there's no extra platform from those "wings" (that's what i call 'em). doesn't really look like it would give you much (if any) extra contact area when unclipped either.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Yeah, I don't know about that (shoes with teh carbonz soles). I haven't been on non extra/goofy caged clipless pedals for years (except on my road bike, which doesn't count). I can say that my Shimano AM45 shoes work much better with my XT Trail and 647 pedals than my Sidi's. Better in that there's more/actual benefit to the extra/goofy cage.

I think I'd probably stick with the regular XT pedals if you're not using a more DH oriented shoe to maximize the benefit.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looking at the pedals when clipped in, there's no extra platform from those "wings" (that's what i call 'em). doesn't really look like it would give you much (if any) extra contact area when unclipped either.
that's what I thought, but people get pretty gooey about the extra wings.

Thanks for the advice guys

vanfreeride

Chimp
Oct 19, 2013
RF
I run M540. The cage on M530 Trail does nothing! It doesn't protect clip-in mechanism and it doesn't encrease pedal square.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mmm i was looking at the m780, which has a bit of a different body to it. Looks like it puts more surface area in contact with your foot, which could actually aid in power transfer and stability. The 770/540, yeah, looks about the same.

My shmancy Giro shoes are coming in next week...yay disco shoes!