Quantcast

People from Houston are all fat...

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
Hey, you @#$#%%^^'s we're just big boned!

I gained 35 pounds when I moved to Houston from PA. It's took 3 years to lose it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
ssk said:
Hey, you @#$#%%^^'s we're just big boned!

I gained 35 pounds when I moved to Houston from PA. It's took 3 years to lose it.
just because you choose not to see that extra 35 lbs on the scale doesnt mean it's actually gone :blah:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
It's an "unscientific" ranking, but it's hard to argue that we haven't earned the dubious honors. We do have a lotta fat people, a WHOLE lotta restaurants, and a pitifully small menu of healthy outdoor activities compared to SOME places. The fact that I can ride a bike here--either on the road or on a trail--year round doesn't make up for the fact that most people don't wanna exercise when it's 100 degrees, 100% humidity, an ozone alert, a high allergy (tree pollen, mold, ragweed, grass) day, and oh yah do you like exhaust fumes?

There are several miles of good trail, plus a pretty good inventory of hike/bike paths, if you're in the right parts of town. But walk/ride to work, or step out of the office for a pleasant stroll or ride? Uhhh, I doubt it.

This is a place that rewards those who have the determination to do something physical regardless of the circumstances, as long as they also go easy on the HUNDREDS EACH of Mexican, Chinese, Italian, and BBQ restaurants, THOUSANDS of fast-food joints, plus assorted seafood, thai, sushi, Indian, Greek, Vietnamese, Korean, Cajun, and even FREAKING ETHIOPIAN restaurants.

You don't even wanna know how many places I can go within 10 miles of this desk and get all-you-can-eat chicken fried steak. You like Sonic Drive-ins? We have FOUR in the town where I work. There are FIVE on the road I take to work. On a 13-mile commute I pass 4 pizza shops, 2 Mickey Ds, 2 Whataburgers, 2 Jack-in-the-Box, Wendy's, KFC, DQ, and Taco Bell.

Want breakfast? Within 4 miles of my house are Waffle House, IHOP, a half-dozen assorted country diners, plus Cracker Barrel (if you've never been, there's one beside every major freeway. It's the real crowded place w/all the bluehairs and 300lb bubbas sitting in rocking chairs out front).

So yeah, we got fat people. Who is the most powerful business person in your city? Ours is a restaurant baron. This place is freakin' built by, for, and around fat people, and I think a lot of 'em like it that way. So the LESS fat among us have to work harder to keep it off. . . It means more to us that way. Like the stupid ad campaign sez, "Houston, It's Worth It."

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
The Toninator said:
all this from a guy with FAT in his name? Outstanding!

Hey you've never come riding with me, wasnt that part of the deal when i sold you those parts?
Hat size = 7 3/8. Play blues guitar. I dig the handle.

Tony, I've seen your race times, and I've seen mine. You train more miles in a month than I ride all year. PM me when you're all beat up from a crash and you wanna leisurely 8mph jaunt around MP or Jack Brooks. Otherwise, it'll hafta wait until my kids are grown and I have time to train :)

BTW, the shifters still work great.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Megan Black said:
seattle's the fittest? are they suuuuuure? if seattle's the fittest i'm sad for the rest of the country :help:
Sounds like cause to celebrate, wanna hit up a Fatburger then hit Coldstone followed by a stroll thru the park? Don't worry i got a couple of these babies so we don't have to get winded.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Skookum said:
Sounds like cause to celebrate, wanna hit up a Fatburger then hit Coldstone followed by a stroll thru the park? Don't worry i got a couple of these babies so we don't have to get winded.
omg, i totally used one of those in a fred meyer yesterday since my foot's in a cast. i could DEFINITELY get used to one those babies...

it's a date then! i'll pick up some doritos in case we get hungry on the way to the park tho...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Megan Black said:
seattle's the fittest? are they suuuuuure? if seattle's the fittest i'm sad for the rest of the country :help:
That's what I was thinking....have the people that concocted that list spent much time here? In my office of about 30 I can count the people that regularly exercise on one hand.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Snacks said:
That's what I was thinking....have the people that concocted that list spent much time here? In my office of about 30 I can count the people that regularly exercise on one hand.
schit, i don't even know anyone that can exercise on one hand! :D

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Fathead said:
It's an "unscientific" ranking, but it's hard to argue that we haven't earned the dubious honors. We do have a lotta fat people, a WHOLE lotta restaurants, and a pitifully small menu of healthy outdoor activities compared to SOME places. The fact that I can ride a bike here--either on the road or on a trail--year round doesn't make up for the fact that most people don't wanna exercise when it's 100 degrees, 100% humidity, an ozone alert, a high allergy (tree pollen, mold, ragweed, grass) day, and oh yah do you like exhaust fumes?

There are several miles of good trail, plus a pretty good inventory of hike/bike paths, if you're in the right parts of town. But walk/ride to work, or step out of the office for a pleasant stroll or ride? Uhhh, I doubt it.

This is a place that rewards those who have the determination to do something physical regardless of the circumstances, as long as they also go easy on the HUNDREDS EACH of Mexican, Chinese, Italian, and BBQ restaurants, THOUSANDS of fast-food joints, plus assorted seafood, thai, sushi, Indian, Greek, Vietnamese, Korean, Cajun, and even FREAKING ETHIOPIAN restaurants.

You don't even wanna know how many places I can go within 10 miles of this desk and get all-you-can-eat chicken fried steak. You like Sonic Drive-ins? We have FOUR in the town where I work. There are FIVE on the road I take to work. On a 13-mile commute I pass 4 pizza shops, 2 Mickey Ds, 2 Whataburgers, 2 Jack-in-the-Box, Wendy's, KFC, DQ, and Taco Bell.

Want breakfast? Within 4 miles of my house are Waffle House, IHOP, a half-dozen assorted country diners, plus Cracker Barrel (if you've never been, there's one beside every major freeway. It's the real crowded place w/all the bluehairs and 300lb bubbas sitting in rocking chairs out front).

So yeah, we got fat people. Who is the most powerful business person in your city? Ours is a restaurant baron. This place is freakin' built by, for, and around fat people, and I think a lot of 'em like it that way. So the LESS fat among us have to work harder to keep it off. . . It means more to us that way. Like the stupid ad campaign sez, "Houston, It's Worth It."

This all sound way too familiar, to the Dallas area. You left out one thing on the breakfast. There is a freaking doughnut on every corner, and a StarBucks on every other. The only trouble we have about going to lunch is deciding where to go. The choices are endless. I can eat just about anything with in 5 to 10 minutes from where I work. Fast food or not. Oh and out cafeteria added starbucks to it. So I'm a 2 minute walk from there.
It's so ridiculous.

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
Fathead said:

I can vouch for this, since he commutes through my town. If you count the McD's in the walmarts, we have 4, soon to be 5. We have a starbucks in the parking lot of Target, and theres also a Starbucks INSIDE the target. We also have Chick Fil A, 2 Subways, a kfc/taco bell mix place, cajun, thai, and dominoes in one strip mall, a few (5) swanky mexcian places, almost every huge pizza place in the country, and about 4 small ones. this town is only about 12 by 6 miles... and we have 60,000 people here.

I think Im gonna move soon.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
The article didn't work for me for some reason, but I know Detroit's up there. I think it has a lot to do with how "car-friendly" cities are. Some cities you HAVE to walk, like Chicago, SF, etc. (that I've been to). Some, like Detroit, you can drive EVERYWHERE and there'll be a parking waiting for you. I believe Houston's similar.

McT said:
I can vouch for this, since he commutes through my town. If you count the McD's in the walmarts, we have 4, soon to be 5. We have a starbucks in the parking lot of Target, and theres also a Starbucks INSIDE the target. We also have Chick Fil A, 2 Subways, a kfc/taco bell mix place, cajun, thai, and dominoes in one strip mall, a few (5) swanky mexcian places, almost every huge pizza place in the country, and about 4 small ones. this town is only about 12 by 6 miles... and we have 60,000 people here.

I think Im gonna move soon.
Ha ... Id like to see a listing for small town USA. How about this for restaurants :

2 x Wendys
2 x Mcdonalds
2 x Subway
Dairy Queen
Sonic
Long Johns
Pizza Hut
Arbys
Quiznos
3 small pizza joints
shoneys
applebees
ruby tuesdays
3 x chinese
mexican joint
bob evans
cracker barrel
1 seafood joint
atleast 10 greasy spoons
waffle house
KFC
Burger King
Taco Bell

oh and this is a town of 6,900.... 5 miles x 3 miles in size

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Fathead said:
<snip>
and even FREAKING ETHIOPIAN restaurants.
</snip>
good Ethiopian food is SO tastey. :drool:

I could go for some tastey injera and lentils right about now. :drool: :drool:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
pnj said:
good Ethiopian food is SO tastey. :drool:

I could go for some tastey injera and lentils right about now. :drool: :drool:
Maybe I went to the wrong place (if someone can do it right, someone else can surely do it wrong). I remember some lentils. I remember some meat in a broth, and some bland bread we scooped the stuff up with. I just can't be bothered w/that crap when we have so many choices I like better.

I had a buddy in grad school we called "AYCE" (All You Can Eat), and I'm trying to live up to his name. Today was AYCE ribs. Yum.