Quantcast

Performance Bike shops=?

1SurlyRider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
Springfield Va
Does anyone have anything to say about the Performance Bike company? How are the ppl that work there? Their selection? I'm just trying to get an idea of how the rest of the cycling community feels about this Corporate giant. Think of this as a way of venting or praising. Personally my main issue with them is they do nothing to benefit the sport, the company doesn’t sponsor any races, community rides, Nothing! All they do is leach off of us that do ride, and undercut independent bike shops that actually aid in the growth of the sport, either threw races, or charities.

IN your posts please be specific about which shop location your talking about.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This is a weird question or atleast how you phrased it.
I would say you're "leading the witness"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Performance actually does plenty of sponsorship, they provide clothing to tons of pros.

However I will never order from them because their prices suck, their customer service people are morons, and they don't understand the current MTB market.

Oh and I'm not talking about any particular location, we don't have any around here... just their internet/mail order.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The one in Beaverton, OR already had good people working there, they always gave me sales prices on items I bought, even if the sale was six months later. The opne in Redmond, WA sucks though, they have a pretty crap selection and hire alot of half-assed employees.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The local performance shop 'round here has soom really sharp people and some dumb ones.

Last time I was there there was some tool yelling at the manager because he could not get the exact tire model that came on his POS comfort bike that he bought there 4 years ago. The manager kept patiently trying to explain that there were several model tires that would actually work better. The crazy dude kept demanding he order OEM replacement parts. Just thought it was funny.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
While in college in the middle of no-where, WA, Performance, Nashbar, and Supergo saved our collective arses from going broke and kept us rolling on MTB's. It offered us deals the LBS couldn't on some items and often if the LBS needed to order it, we could get it much faster through the catalogues.

It was a necessity for us poor college students....needing stuff like clothing, shoes, helmets etc....certain parts that the local shop jsut realistically couldn't carry.

I say they helped us keep biking....making it available to us.

As far as support/mechanics....we did 97% of the stuff ourselves. If we couldn't we went to the LBS.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm not going to say which store because I still go there occaisionally. The only reason I go is because the staff is constantly mis-pricing items during sales. I've landed some sweet deals that way. Otherwise, the floor staff is arrogant and/or rude and the mechanics are self-centered pricks.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
hmmm...well the one I go to has mostly cool people..their wrench is an arrogant prick who thinks no one knows about bikes but him and he's always trying to explain things to me that I already know...but the sales guys are cool and they keep decent stock...whenever I have had to order anything I get it in less than a week...so no complaints here....D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
each store is and will always be different... this is true of most businesses.

I used to love one of my local Performance's and hated another. The staff turn over at both stores makes it the other way now.