Quantcast

Phantom broken spokes...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Yesterday I rode on the trainer for about 2 hours while watching the tour, then went for a short ride in the afternoon with no issues at all. Then this morning I tried to roll my bike over to the trainer and noticed the rear rim was completely out of true and was rubbing on the brake. I looked closer and saw that two spokes were broken off at the hub. I know its an easy fix, but I just find it strange that spokes could just break like that with no warning and with virtually no pressure on them. Is this a common occurrence on roadies?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The ghost of Floyd Landis has visited you.

P.S. Never heard of broken spokes on a trainer wheel.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Yesterday I rode on the trainer for about 2 hours while watching the tour, then went for a short ride in the afternoon with no issues at all. Then this morning I tried to roll my bike over to the trainer and noticed the rear rim was completely out of true and was rubbing on the brake. I looked closer and saw that two spokes were broken off at the hub. I know its an easy fix, but I just find it strange that spokes could just break like that with no warning and with virtually no pressure on them. Is this a common occurrence on roadies?
"Phantom" broken spokes are actually very common. Spokes fail from cumulative stresses. This can cause a spoke to fail at weird times, like when going for a very relaxed ride or no ride at all. It's usually caused by uneven and/or generally low spoke tension. Breaks at the hub are a give away here.

Once you break one or more spokes like this others will follow until the wheel is taken all the way down to zero tension, the bad spokes replaced, and the wheel is re-tensioned optimally and evenly.

Take it to a good builder and have them re-do the wheel proper style. Keep it at max/optimum tension and you should see the ghosts go away.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Take it to a good builder and have them re-do the wheel proper style. Keep it at max/optimum tension and you should see the ghosts go away.
Thats what I did. I took it to the local roadie shop just to make sure its done right. Thats so weird that they would just break like that.. The wheel probably has about 3000 miles on it though so I guess its about time something went wrong with it