Quantcast

Phoenix - South Mountain

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
At the advice of some Monkies (based on a post I made requesting such advice), I took my bike on my work trip to Phoenix. I brought the hardtail and took a pedal around South Mountain. The local bike shops gave me a few ideas of which trails to hit.

I started in the parking lot and headed up the main fireroad.

I passed an old stone building along the way. If there was signage about the importance of this building, I missed it.

I started up the Mormon Loop.

I came to a fork in the road. It was a good place for pictures. You can see downtown Phoenix here. I could even see my hotel. I was amazed at the smog. Part of having a city in a valley, I guess.

Enough rest. Back on the trail. I took Mormon Loop to National.

This spot looked nice enough.

However, there was a bit of a drop to be prepared for (reverse view)

It was a great ride. I was in the saddle for about an hour or so riding out. On the return trip, I took the National trail back. There was lots of techy stuff. No big jumps or drops, but tons of fun. I was running Maxxis Hollyrollers (semislicks). They gripped well in the sand-over-hard-rock. I did the trip about two weeks ago and the weather was amazing. It was warm, but not hot in the morning. I started about 10am. By noon, I was back at the car and the temperature was rising. The dryness of the air did help make the heat less of an issue.

Overall - a fun ride :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
glad y'all like the pix.

stinkyboy - i did need to dab a few spots. i just wasn't able to pedal up or bomb through some of the tech sections. more time to ride would have been great!!!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
stinkyboy - i did need to dab a few spots. i just wasn't able to pedal up or bomb through some of the tech sections. more time to ride would have been great!!!
No shame there, the tech sections can kick your butt. Props for running the hardtail. I'm usually hungover hiking up with a 55 lb. bike.

:cheers: