Quantcast

Photo monkeys: Need gear help

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My wife has always been a pretty good race day/rugby day photographer. However, with shooting a lot lately she has wanted to take her game up a step or two.

Right now she is shooting with a D70 that she really likes with an assortment of lenses. She's getting pretty good with it, but what's messing with her is the issue of light. She shoots daylight a lot, but sometimes its just not right/enough.

She's deploying for seven months in mid-September, which means that she's gone for her birthday, Christmas, all of the major gift giving holidays. She doesn't want anything big or expensive sent to her in the suck, because what with all the sand, hadji's and thieves in her own unit, things tend to wander off all the time.

I need suggestions from you guys who shoot real high end. When she gets back she wants to start shooting at a higher level.

I was thinking of getting her a D300 body, maybe a couple more lenses (a fisheye would be cool) and a remote flash set up. Can you give me any suggestions?

Thanks

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
D70 body with the vertical grip that gives the extra battery.

A hand full of decent Sigma and Nikor lenses, but nothing real high end.

I was thinking of getting her:
- D300 body
- AF-S VR NIKKOR 200mm f/2G IF-ED lens
- AF Fisheye- NIKKOR 16mm f/2.8D Lens
- AF-S Zoom- NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED

What I don't know jack about is a remote flash set up. Need some suggestions in that arena, along with any other lens suggestions you might have.

That other forum is currently down by the way.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Don't want to change brands now. We have a d70, an N90 and an N80, going to a new brand now would be a real PITA. We like things to work together in the ever present event of things crapping the bed.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
D70 body with the vertical grip that gives the extra battery.

A hand full of decent Sigma and Nikor lenses, but nothing real high end.

I was thinking of getting her:
- D300 body
- AF-S VR NIKKOR 200mm f/2G IF-ED lens
- AF Fisheye- NIKKOR 16mm f/2.8D Lens
- AF-S Zoom- NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED

What I don't know jack about is a remote flash set up. Need some suggestions in that arena, along with any other lens suggestions you might have.

That other forum is currently down by the way.
How about something 24-70 or so instead of the fisheye? Fisheye would be cool to have but would you or her really use it all that much?

Off camera flash...Speedlites and Pocketwizards ($$$). www.strobist.com will get you started.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
That's serious coin. Are you really worried about high iso? You might be better off ditching the 200 2.0 (Which is an amazing lens...) for a D3 instead of the D300.

If you're more worried about reach, you could always go with the 200-400VR instead of the 200 2.0.

It's always a compromise. As far as flashes go, since it sounds like you're going to be shooting outside, I think you'd probably want to go with Vivitars and Pocketwizards.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
D3 = serious coin.

nikon lenses are more than comparable canon lenses.

save money and switch to the big C :D

i don't think you would need the 200 f/2 unless you are really shooting under very low light...the 70-200 f/2.8 is the go to lens for sports shooters (IS for canon, VR for noink). the fisheye is fun but would you also need the ultra-wide? how about the 17-55 f/2.8 lens instead? that should be wide enough on a crop body (whereas the 24-70 may not be...it all depends on what you shoot and where you can situate yourself).

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I hate switching gear after I already have a collection. Have always had Nikon, they've always done right by me, might stick with them.

I saw the D300 in a store yesterday for $1900, which means with some hunting around I can do better price wise.

I have had the 70-200 before, and like a dumbass sold it in a moment of financial woe. Greatest lens I have laid my hands on, ever.

I think she wants the fish eye just to have, and I over indulge her.

You think the 17-55 might be better off?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the 17-55 is the ideal focal length for a walk-about lens on a crop body camera. i had one for my 30D which i sold before i went full-frame (i got the 24-70, which is too long on the 30D).

the fisheye is a fun lens, but you are gonna be down at least 5 bills to get one. the 70-200 is at least 1600 (for canon, not sure what noink charges), and you've got to get the body too...what's yr budget look like?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Trying to stay under $5k total with body, flash and at least two (70-200 being one of them) lenses.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Trying to stay under $5k total with body, flash and at least two (70-200 being one of them) lenses.
Ok...

D300 $1800
70-200 $1700
Sigma 10-20 $500

Thats $4000 right there.

Do you need 2.8 on the 17-55? If not, go ahead and reuse the 18-70 from the D70.

Leaves you about $1000 to play with...you threw me off budget wise when you mentioned the 200 F2...