Quantcast

Photography equipment

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
So I am updating my photography quiver and am looking at a DSLR. Sorta flying blind and not wanting to go over the top for my first run at this I was considering the Nikon D90 or the Canon 50D. For lenses I was wanting a fisheye and then something longer range for shooting scenary sorts of stuff. I played with a D90 with their fisheye and the VR 70-300 lense and was pretty impressed, but that was me playing at the Ritz store at Mall of America.

Help me out, those of you that no better, am I on the right track, should I be checking out other options. I will be shooting lots of riding, close quarters, woods and skatepark sorts of things. I also intend to shoot a lot of stuff in Europe next summer, architecture and lifestyle scenary stuff. Having a fair amount of FPS and liveview are a couple things I am interested in.

I'll leave it at that. I'm not looking for super highend, but I don't want to buy a body and lenses that I will be disappointed in. "Prosumer" is the area I was thinking.

Thanks in advance.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
both the Nikon and Canon will do fine. I own a Canon 40D (which btw is somewhat cheaper and older then the 50D but will do more or less the same), a friend has a D90. It's rather hard to see any difference between the pics from both, certainly after putting them on the internet for example, and even if you see a difference it's even harder to say that one is 'better' than the other.

I'd suggest going to a store that has them both, check out how they feel in your hand, if you find the menus intuitive etc, then decide based on that.

If you're going to shoot lots of indoor and in the woods, better spend money on a decent flash and learn how to use it before getting a fisheye, the fisheye (or any lense for that matter) will probably turn out useless if there's not anough light to start with.

Hope this helps.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Keep in mind that the fisheye is gonna wack everything out distortion wise. It works well a lot of the time, but I would hate for a fisheye to be my only lens below 70mm. I use my 18-55 more than anything else. Its just a kit lens, but for what I shoot the length is good.

Also, keep in mind the D90 shoots HD video. Which is sick. I have a Canon 20D and have loved it. I'd consider myself a Canon person, but if I were buying a camera right now, I'd be pretty tempted by the video feature.
If you really wanna shell out though, spring for the Canon 5D. Its a grand or so more, but you get a full frame (higher quality image, no magnification factor) and incredible HD video.
These were shot on a 5D still camera:
http://vimeo.com/2327058
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2326

C_S

Chimp
May 14, 2004
Clovis
Um, the 5D might be the worst choice possible for action photography. I'm not real familiar with Canon but do know people who get great stuff with their 40D's so I would imagine the 50D would work well. Personally, given what you want to do with the camera, I would go with the D300 plus vertical grip. It's already proven to produce great image quality, has an excellent autofocus, and shoots up to 8 frames a second with the grip (6 without). The D300 is way more prosumer than the D90.

Also, don't be afraid to buy 3rd party glass. Sure, it's not quite on par with the Nikon or Cannon, but they make some seriously quality stuff nowadays at sometimes a third of the price. I've been shooting for a few years with a 15mm Sigma fisheye, and a Sigma 70-200 2.8 and both are super sharp and fast.

Oct 8, 2008
Maryland
if you go canon don't bother with the 50D wait till the 40d goes down and pick up the 70-200 either f/4 is or 2.8 (F/4 IS is slighter better but can you afford not going to 2.8?) 3rd party glass is good if you do research on the right lenses!

Peleng fisheye works great for the money esp. when the next closest thing is twice as much.

You're gonna want a strobe setup eventually......................

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
Choose one or the other. Canon or Nikon. Don't buy from Ritz, Best Buy or any large national mass retailer- you will spend more than you need to. Find where the pros go and go there or use BHphoto or Canoga Camera.

C_S has good advice- he's the bastard that re-kindled my addiction. He's a Nikon guy. I'm a Canon guy.

Many of the BMX photogs are running the 5D and it works cause the full frame is sweet for that stuff and the FPS isn't a huge deal when you are shooting just one frame with a bunch of off camera flash.

If you're shooting sequences or DH then the FPS is huge unless you are a genius when it comes to timing (not advocating "spray and pray" but it has it's place.)

As for fish and long or suggestions... I'd start with the kit lenses- something in wide zoom (17-55) something in a long zoom (70-300) and get a 50 prime for low light. Buy a good flash with an off shoe cord. As you determine your preferences, needs and addiction you can add and upgrade your gear.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Thanks, guys, all good advice (and please keep it coming).

To answer two things, one, the fisheye, I have shot enough video (and that leads to another point, I already have a really nice HD camcorder with mini death lens so the video capabilities of a still camera are not that attractive to me) to know the benis of close quarters and not being able to get everything in a shot. I will probably get a basic wide angle as well, some to bridge that close end gap but for action stuff I appreciate the fisheye.

As for buying, I know better then to buy at big stores, with an exception. I hunted around and found that I could save hundreds on the other stores prices. The thing is the big box stores can be manipulated into lowering their prices (thats how I got my camcorder for a few hundred off of what they were asking) and they tend to have been warranties (at least that I have seen). That will all come into place as I get further into it.

One other thing, a flash and filters will definitely be in my future. Probably the filters first, but any advice on flashes I am open to as well.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I really wanted one when they came out several years back so when I saw a Canon G5 on craigslist, I bought it for $75 or something. (Doesn't have certain new features, e.g. the mpeg feature sucks, but otherwise an excellent camera).

Then ordered the Canon WCDC58N wide angle lens, with the Canon LADC58B adapter through Amazon.com...

... Pretty cheap way to get into the widea-angle / fish-eye game without major dollar investment.