Quantcast

Photography Monkeys

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
After spending a few years on RM checking out all the cool photos you guys can take I have taking an interest in becoming a better photographer myself. I'm planning on sighing up for a call this spring.

Currently I have no idea what a good camera can do, what I should look for, what lens' I need.

So I was hoping that you guys could help recommend me a camera - I'm looking for something in the $500 - $1000 range, that I can take good pictures of scenery, DH races, and everyday round the house pictures.

Thanks guys!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cannon Rebel XT/XTi/350D/400D or whatever the fvck they are calling them now.

Nikon D50/D70/D80.

There have been countless threads in the last weeks to look at.

EDIT:Go to a camera shop and fool around with them all. Find one you are comfortable with.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
The Xti looks like a great camera. I started shooting for a year now and have not outgrown the camera. The Xti offers 10.2 megapixel shots and the new self cleaning sensor, which is nice when your switching lenses in dusty, snowy etc. environments. Go out and pick up some cameras, see what feels comfy and has the features your looking for and buy it! Then take tons of photos!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've got the Canon 30D, which is more camera than I need. At this point, I think we would have been better off waiting for the 400d/Xti and getting a better lens.

Still,... I love this camera.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Cannon Rebel XT/XTi/350D/400D or whatever the fvck they are calling them now.

Nikon D50/D70/D80.

There have been countless threads in the last weeks to look at.

EDIT:Go to a camera shop and fool around with them all. Find one you are comfortable with.
Agree.

Those are all solid choices, and with a D50 or an XT he'll have enough money left over for a decent lens.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
There isn't that much visible difference between 8 (xt) and 10 megapixels (XTi), but the XTi has some slightly better technical features like nine point autofocus instead of seven.

I'm going to shut up now and let some of the more experienced photo monkeys chime in.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
What is considered a "decent Lens"
depends on the user requirements.

generally speaking, you want excellent image quality (IQ). that means excellent resolution, no or little chromatic abberation, vignetting, barrel or pincushion distortion, etc.

specifically speaking, you need to figure out how you'd like to use it. do you need a wide angle lens? or long telephoto? will you shoot in low light conditions, or need a high shutter speed to freeze action? do you need a macro lens? lots of options out there.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
After spending a few years on RM checking out all the cool photos you guys can take I have taking an interest in becoming a better photographer myself. I'm planning on sighing up for a call this spring.

Currently I have no idea what a good camera can do, what I should look for, what lens' I need.

So I was hoping that you guys could help recommend me a camera - I'm looking for something in the $500 - $1000 range, that I can take good pictures of scenery, DH races, and everyday round the house pictures.

Thanks guys!
Hi!

Welcome to photomonkey.com

Try doing a search n00b!

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1277970

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
If you're tempted by a kit remember , the Kit lenses in everyone's kit, regardless of brand are marginal. They generally have a high f-stop (4.5-5.6 typically) and aren't exactly the fastest focusers. An f 2.8 lens will gather almost four times the light of a 4.5, which means you can shoot the shot at a lot higher speed and get less motion blur and camera shake, or have a larger aperture range for creative photography. A lot of people shoot mostly primes (single focal lenght lenses) for low light photography because you can get fast primes for a reasonable price.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I recently was in the exact same position, and went for the XTi (400D) and a 50mm 1.8 lens. this was mainly due to the slightly better autofocus and the bigger LCD screen. camera was 650 shipped (www.buydig.com for silver body), and lens was ~80. Then of course you need a memory card (~25-50), camera bag and a UV filter for the lens (protects it and keeps the lens clean). if you don't mind the smaller LCD (you only use it to review your pic after you take it, you have to use the viewfinder for taking the pic) I'd say grab up one of the XTs for a little cheaper. the 50mm lens is a great little lens, no zoom and on the XTi it's a slight zoom, so that might throw you off a bit as well.

I'd definitely stay away from the kit lenses, and also from the nikon d40. it doesn't have an autofocus motor in the body of the camera, so it limits the lenses you can use with it (at least if you want autofocus). if you're looking at Nikon's the D50 is a pretty neat little camera as well...

hope this helps, and there have been quite a few posts on this recently, do a search for DSLR for several very good ones.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the LCD is very important for reviewing the histogram to check exposure.

the kit lens isn't as bad as people tend to make it out...stopped down to f/8 or so, it's a *very* acceptable IQ lens. no, it's not fast, and the build is cheap, but if you are just getting into photography, it's not a bad thing to have esp if yr budget is limited and you will need other things like memory and maybe an external flash (i'd also recommend the 50mm prime lens Dante speaks of...$75 is a steal for the IQ and speed you get).

fwiw, UV filters (ie, use or don't use) are like the 'grease spindle/don't grease spindle' argument of the photog world.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you're tempted by a kit remember , the Kit lenses in everyone's kit, regardless of brand are marginal. They generally have a high f-stop (4.5-5.6 typically) and aren't exactly the fastest focusers.
FYI, the Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 kit lens is considered a pretty great lens... Of course, it bumps the price of the kit up by $300 but the image quality is damn good and focusing speed is decent, it's just a little slower than the expensive and heavy f/2.8 lenses.

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
FYI, the Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 kit lens is considered a pretty great lens... Of course, it bumps the price of the kit up by $300 but the image quality is damn good and focusing speed is decent, it's just a little slower than the expensive and heavy f/2.8 lenses.
I use the 18-70 "kit" lens for most of my photography.

Side note: the lounge is starting to resemble something like a photomonkey.com :biggrin:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Konabumm,

I would agree with what everyone else is saying. I have a D50 which I really like, and my father just picked up the DigiRebel XTi. I would tell you that you really need to feel the cams in your hand. they all feel different, and the functions and layout are all different. The worst part of the whole thing is once you purchase you will find things out about the cams that you like and things you don't like! and then you start wanting more equipment as you learn.... anything that you get you will like for sure!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
That's not the typically advertised kit, although it's an option. If you buy an xt ot XTi and speend $300 for a lens you can add the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 for $349 or the Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM for about $300 and end up at about the same price point with a similar (maybe slightly better) lens.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
If you're tempted by a kit remember , the Kit lenses in everyone's kit, regardless of brand are marginal. They generally have a high f-stop (4.5-5.6 typically) and aren't exactly the fastest focusers. An f 2.8 lens will gather almost four times the light of a 4.5, which means you can shoot the shot at a lot higher speed and get less motion blur and camera shake, or have a larger aperture range for creative photography. A lot of people shoot mostly primes (single focal lenght lenses) for low light photography because you can get fast primes for a reasonable price.
You really seem to know about - Do you mind if I bounce questions off you in the future?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's not the typically advertised kit, although it's an option. If you buy an xt ot XTi and speend $300 for a lens you can add the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 for $349 or the Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM for about $300 and end up at about the same price point with a similar (maybe slightly better) lens.
Of course, I wasn't trying to say that there weren't other options or that it was superior to another combo, just that that is a specifically designated "kit" and happens to also be a very good lens.

Konabumm, I would really recommend handling a few cameras if that's an option for you. I personally really dislike the build quality of the Digital Rebels and while that might not drive you away from Canon (there's no reason it should) it may drive you to looking at something like an old stock or used 20D.

This is a great time to be buying a digital SLR. Pentax's new K10D is a nice piece of kit, Sony is trying to revive the Konica-Minolta brand, Nikon is releasing DSLRs at every price point and they're all great quality, and Canon still has probably the most comprehensive lens collection around. Try some out.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no, i definitely think they have their use (esp in harsh conditions, like if you were shooting rally cars and the like), but that said i've only got one (for my 70-200). however, the downside is that you should really use a pretty high quality one if you care about image quality, and they aren't cheap.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
You really seem to know about - Do you mind if I bounce questions off you in the future?

I don't mind, but Narlus, transend, BV, maxyedor and some others are all more knowledgeable. And just about any of the major camera companies (canon, pentax, sony, nikon, and others ) make very good DSLR's. If you can try them out at a store before buying one.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Konabumm, I would really recommend handling a few cameras if that's an option for you. I personally really dislike the build quality of the Digital Rebels and while that might not drive you away from Canon (there's no reason it should) it may drive you to looking at something like an old stock or used 20D.

This is a great time to be buying a digital SLR. Pentax's new K10D is a nice piece of kit, Sony is trying to revive the Konica-Minolta brand, Nikon is releasing DSLRs at every price point and they're all great quality, and Canon still has probably the most comprehensive lens collection around. Try some out.

I have to say I like the feeling of the 30D vastly better than the Rebel XT, and it's without a doubt a heavier more professional build. If you can get it at a similar price I think anyone with bigger hands is going to like the 20D/30D better, esp. if they are doing manual shooting.

If I didn't already have a canon, I'd be looking at the Nikon d50 or d70 or the pentax K10/K100D/K110D, and probably leaning towards Nikon.