Quantcast

PhotoMonkies: 20D vs 30D vs Rebel XT

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I know the 30D's have a larger screen and i think they've got a faster star-up (but the 20s pretty fast as well) are there any other advantages that make the worth the extra coin. Seems like most places have dropped the price of the 20s now that the 30s are out, do you have any idea how long the 20s will last? Lastly, is the advantage of a 20d or 30d worth the extra coupld benjamins over the rebel XT?

Thanks for your time

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I have the 20D and absolutly love it! The 30D is cool too, but the price of the 20D is great now. I would personally go for the 20D and get a legit lens

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
from what i have read most people are not going to be upgrading from the 20 to the 30. the additional features are not enough to tempt them.
as far as the difference between rebel and the 20 will be in start up speed, frame per second quick burst mode and the body. the body of the 20 is magnessium and metal and will be much more durable. although there are few pros out there that use the rebel xt as their back up most of them use the 20d.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I would say it comes down to this
The XT is cheap and smaller, but only 3fps and it is considerably smaller, than the 20/30d
The 20d is a great camera, I always have one in my car and carry it as a back-up for my Mk2s
The 30d has better high ISO noise reduction (suposidly) It also has 1/3 stop adjustment on the ISO wich is pretty sweet, and a larger buffer for longer busts of shots. The bigger screen could be nice, but I rarley evr look at it, and it will draw more power.

It comes down to how you use it, for sports and low light I would get the 20/30d, for daylight and travel I mite go for the XT because of it's light weight.

Idealy I would go for the 30d if you can swing it, because the 1/3 stop ISO adjustments are a very handy feature.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
maxyedor said:
The 30d has better high ISO noise reduction (suposidly) It also has 1/3 stop adjustment on the ISO wich is pretty sweet, and a larger buffer for longer busts of shots. The bigger screen could be nice, but I rarley evr look at it, and it will draw more power.
I didnt know about the 1/3 stop adjustment, thats pretty cool. Good point on the larger screen and battery, I hadnt thought of that. I think I'm gonna shoot for the 20D. I knew it had a higher fps rate, which could lead to some pretty cool stuff (I like sequences sometimes) The only reason I was even considering the XT was its price, I can deal with a bigger/heavier camera, and I would prefer the mag aluminium for the durablility. Hopefully the 20 will still be available when I get the cash (probably mid to late summer), and if not, I'll just get a 30. Anybody have a guess as to how long the 20s will be around?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
escapeartist said:
Anybody have a guess as to how long the 20s will be around?
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can still dig up the original Digital Rebel (300D), especially on places like eBay, with a warranty.

I'd be willing to bet that you'll be able to find a 20D even a year from now.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
binary visions said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can still dig up the original Digital Rebel (300D), especially on places like eBay, with a warranty.

I'd be willing to bet that you'll be able to find a 20D even a year from now.
Good point, I bet you're right. I hope so anyway. I think I'm gonna end up going with the 20d. I'm you and my eyes are pretty good so forget about the screen size. I can deal with a little slower start up time, and the 1/2 stop isnt really worth the extra cash for me (although it is pretty cool).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
escapeartist said:
Good point, I bet you're right. I hope so anyway. I think I'm gonna end up going with the 20d. I'm you and my eyes are pretty good so forget about the screen size. I can deal with a little slower start up time, and the 1/2 stop isnt really worth the extra cash for me (although it is pretty cool).
Heck, even B&H still stocks the 300D. Full warranty.

I'm sure you'll be able to find the 20D later this summer.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
You should get, should have gotten, a Nikon...

obligatory reverse "should have gotten a Canon" smack talk

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
narlus said:
is it worth a 50% cost increase (350D ~$650; 20D ~$1000)?
Some folks are still fascinated by overplayed (IMO of course) sequence compilations and/or are "machine gun" shooters.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
narlus said:
is it worth a 50% cost increase (350D ~$650; 20D ~$1000)?
If it were just the burst speed then probably not, its not. Its a better all around camera. I could definetly get by with 3fps, I was being quasi e-sarcastic. trust me, I am a poor high school student, I'm gonna cut corners where it makes sense to. Justsomeguy, I already have a Cannon Rebel T2, and I'm very happy with it, I dont really wanna switch platforms completely

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
escapeartist said:
If it were just the burst speed then probably not, its not. Its a better all around camera.
i looked at the spec sheets, and nothing really dramatic jumped out at me...maybe i missed something.

if you are a cash-hungry student, i'd throw the $350 towards a nice lens, personally.

but like i said, maybe i either don't fully understand (or can't exploit) the difference between the two bodies. i'm pretty new at the SLR game.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I'm pretty new too, but I'm getting more and more serious every day. I have been in a B&W program in my high school all year, and will take a color one next year (where I will be able to shoot digital). I also plan on doing a lot more in College. So if I go for the better camera now so I can go longer without upgrading. the 20d is faster in general, and should be much more durable.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
escapeartist said:
I'm pretty new too, but I'm getting more and more serious every day. I have been in a B&W program in my high school all year, and will take a color one next year (where I will be able to shoot digital). I also plan on doing a lot more in College. So if I go for the better camera now so I can go longer without upgrading. the 20d is faster in general, and should be much more durable.
what does 'faster in general' mean?

is the 20D rated for a longer shutter life than the 350D? i'm not sure, just throwing it out there...as you learn you will definitely take a lot more throwaway shots; at least i have. i've taken almost 6000 shots in the last 3 months.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
i looked at the spec sheets, and nothing really dramatic jumped out at me...maybe i missed something.

if you are a cash-hungry student, i'd throw the $350 towards a nice lens, personally.

but like i said, maybe i either don't fully understand (or can't exploit) the difference between the two bodies. i'm pretty new at the SLR game.
Been awhile so I don't remember all the differences, but the 300 lacks a bunch of features that make the 20d what it is.

Metering modes missing, slower shooting speed, slower buffer speed, smaller buffer size, Digic 1 vs digic 2 processor (i think- 10d was digic 1), much better low light response in 20d, better auto focus (by a mile) in 20d, different AF modes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Transcend said:
Been awhile so I don't remember all the differences, but the 300 lacks a bunch of features that make the 20d what it is.

Metering modes missing, slower shooting speed, slower buffer speed, smaller buffer size, Digic 1 vs digic 2 processor (i think- 10d was digic 1), much better low light response in 20d, better auto focus (by a mile) in 20d, different AF modes.
300D, yes. 350D not so much (which was released after the 20D and 300D). which is the one he was comparing it to. i'm just trying to figure out why $350 spent towards the different back is a better investment than towards a lens.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
300D, yes. 350D not so much (which was released after the 20D and 300D). which is the one he was comparing it to. i'm just trying to figure out why $350 spent towards the different back is a better investment than towards a lens.
Wasn't he looking at a 300d??

350 has much less difference. Basically much lower build quality (very plasticey feeling), slower buffer, smaller buffer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Transcend said:
Wasn't he looking at a 300d??

350 has much less difference. Basically much lower build quality (very plasticey feeling), slower buffer, smaller buffer.
he mentioned the 30D.

Lastly, is the advantage of a 20d or 30d worth the extra coupld benjamins over the rebel XT?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
justsomeguy said:
Awesome!

After all, nobody can capture decent images with that Nikon crap and white lenses are the roxzors!
Not to be a dick but you did bring up the N word in a Canon disscussion, what did you expect?

That being said I uses to shoot Nikon and they were great stuff I had f5s f100s and a D1 but as soon as I made the switch to an all digital workflow, there was no question as to wich system to go with. Personally I just think that Canon makes a better digital camera than Nikon. Dollar for dollar it is no contest, Canon wins every time.

Also before you bag on white lenses, just know that Canon started making them decades ago, and Nikon started a few years ago, so what does that tell you?

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
maxyedor said:
Not to be a dick but you did bring up the N word in a Canon disscussion, what did you expect?
You're not being a dick, you're just being hopelessly stereotypical.

maxyedor said:
Also before you bag on white lenses,
See above.

My tongue-in-cheek comment was an indictment of the siliiness that is equipment measurebaitors.

Get it?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
justsomeguy said:
You're not being a dick, you're just being hopelessly stereotypical.
Which stereotype mite that be? A guy askes which Canon we mite recomend and you reply that he shouldve bought a Nikon. How was that in any way helpfull to Escapeartist, and how did you not expect the snide remark from Merrrjig?

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
maxyedor said:
Which stereotype mite(sic) that be?
An evangelical, humorless Canonite.

maxyedor said:
A guy askes(sic) which Canon we mite(sic) recomend(sic) and you reply that he shouldve(sic) bought a Nikon. How was that in any way helpfull(sic) to Escapeartist, and how did you not expect the snide remark from Merrrjig?
It was a sarcastic response that immitated the common "shoud've bought a Canon" reply that can be found on many discussion forums on the 'net. I'm sorry that the humor escaped you. Really.

Why do you assume that every reply to every post on Ridemonkey must be helpful?

p.s. I expected and laughed at Merrjig's reply (I didn't expect that type of reply from him particularly, although a reply in that vein from someone who understood my post and who isn't all wrapped in the brand of their phot equipment was expected).

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
Everytime there is a canon thread, you mention something about nikon in it, for no apparent reason.
That's total bullsh|t.

Learn to use the search function lest you continue to post such idiocy.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
holy freakin' thread deterioration...

I'm considering buying a D-SLR in the not too distant future, so I'm wondering the same question as Narlus, which has yet to be answered. Is the D20 worth a few hundred bucks over the Rebel XT? If so, why? If not, why?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Smelly said:
holy freakin' thread deterioration...

I'm considering buying a D-SLR in the not too distant future, so I'm wondering the same question as Narlus, which has yet to be answered. Is the D20 worth a few hundred bucks over the Rebel XT? If so, why? If not, why?
Yes, it's a better built camera (Magnesium vs plastic), with features that the XT does not have. It is also much more comfortable to hold for most people. I have small hands, it fits better in my hangs then the tiny (in comparison) xt.

The 30d has spot metering and iso in 1/3 adjustments, which is a huge advantage over the 20d. The 350 does not have either.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Transcend said:
Yes, it's a better built camera (Magnesium vs plastic), with features that the XT does not have. It is also much more comfortable to hold for most people. I have small hands, it fits better in my hangs then the tiny (in comparison) xt.

The 30d has spot metering and iso in 1/3 adjustments, which is a huge advantage over the 20d. The 350 does not have either.

That still doesn't answer the question. Ok, so it's more comfortable to hold. Obviously it has things the rebel doesn't have. It f'in better, it's hundreds more. For someone buying their first D-SLR, someone who is getting into photography and won't be trying to make a living off of it with this camera, is it worth spending that extra money on the 20D or will the Rebel allow plenty of room to grow?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Smelly said:
That still doesn't answer the question. Ok, so it's more comfortable to hold. Obviously it has things the rebel doesn't have. It f'in better, it's hundreds more. For someone buying their first D-SLR, someone who is getting into photography and won't be trying to make a living off of it with this camera, is it worth spending that extra money on the 20D or will the Rebel allow plenty of room to grow?
Well to me, that does answer the question. The cheapest $100 slr will work just as well, but a better built camera wil last longer, and has added features you may want in 6 months or so.