Quantcast

Photos from Whistlarr.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
My mate Ross cracked the headtube of his bike due to riding too fast and too hard for too long, so he borrowed his girlfriend's bike (gentleman through and through) in order to putt around the hill and take some photos today. All photos by Ross Dunlop.

Trying to kill the 2nd corner on Freight Train, so loose up there right now. Note front wheel foldage, just like the pros... when they feel like tasting dirt.

Giving it a red hot huck on Freight Train. I don't have any style so please don't ask.

Ok we spent a bit of time on Freight Train. It's a basic trail but f**k me if it doesn't have some stupidly fun jumps.

Funny story behind this one - for those who know the trail Goats Gully, this will make sense. This is pretty much the hardest trail in the bike park, and the part in the photo is steeper than it looks in the pic and obviously rocky - we were trying to time a photo with me having my hands completely off the brakes in order to make it look like I was pinning the crap out of some chute of death. However due to us messing that up, actual speed at the time the photo was roughly a trackstand.

More Goat's Gully - this is one of the "cheat" lines that basically involves pointing, shooting and hoping.

Cornering like a punter on Blue Velvet. This trail is "only" a blue trail but in typical Whistler Bike Park fashion, it's retarded amounts of fun.

Wallride on Blue Velvet - it's actually possible to bottom your bike out whilst "cornering" here.

New section of Blue Velvet that currently turns into In Deep - the "square off berm" at the bottom of a rock wallride/huck thing. Definitely one of my top 10 favourite things on the mountain.

Hip/huck after the Drop-in Clinic on No Joke/Freight Train. So much fun!

The hip on D1. One of the sickest jumps ever built, this thing gives that feeling of unlimited airtime and a sweet landing.

I'm too much of a pussy to do the actual wallride so I just try and hit it with my rear wheel.

The sketchy berm on Canadian Open. Not going to pretend I can do this well more than 1 time out of 10, but the odd occasion when you do nail it is pretty much better than sex... well at least sex with someone you don't like.

Despite what the dust trail may have you believe, I did not skid the entire way around that corner.

Hucking the jump into the trees on Canadian Open with less style than Robbie Bourdon.

I live here. Yeah :)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Also, anyone who has the chance, I highly recommend having a night out with John P (of ridemonkey fame, formerly of Evil/e.13) and his mates. Holy mother-f'ing hell those guys know how to rock it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
was up yesterday - hot, dusty, loose & getting blown out but great times nonetheless. my first day up this year - which is sad as i live in vancouver (familial obligations, alas). looking forward to getting up again next week.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
was up yesterday - hot, dusty, loose & getting blown out but great times nonetheless. my first day up this year - which is sad as i live in vancouver (familial obligations, alas). looking forward to getting up again next week.
You still riding the Lahar? Give me a yell if you're keen to punch out a few laps next time you're up.

So dusty and loose right now, loving it. Only thing I don't really like is that a lot of rock faces are really slippery because of it, but some of the corners are SO much fun right now!

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I hate you for posting these......

(I'm going back in September and every day is pretty much a drag until then haha)

Sweet style off the CAN open gap between the trees--that jump isn't easy!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
We have 10 people here from Montana. Im taking the day off after a bad wreck on Rock City. I thought I broke the collarbone, but I think I just screwed up the shoulder muscle. I cant move the arm very well today. I hope to be riding tomorrow or later this week. It sucks to get hurt the first day. I guess after all my trips to Whistler it could have been a lot worse. Im just pissed that Im sitting in the condo reading RM and MTBR.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
You still riding the Lahar?
yup. haven't touched it since last year and was a bit clapped out - fork was splooging oil, front brake pulling to the bar (scary good times on the steeps), and the bb bearings were dying a horrible noisy death. a bit of loving is in order methinks. still an amazing bombhole levelling ride though.

will see if things come together next weekend...

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I left prematurely this summer and only got 9 days in. The only day that I got to ride the top the only thing open was Blue Velvet to Bear Cub. Even if all you have right now is dust enjoy it. I know I miss it a lot right now. My choice to leave for the rest of the summer was worth it but I don't miss it any less.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Jackalope - sick pics! Cool how both he and Ross picked almost the exact same perspective for a couple of those. Don't recognise where that first one is from?

Not a bad gig that. Do you actually live in Whistler full time, or just every summer?
Just been the last couple of summers. Only got about a month left before I head home though, the idea of which is a little bit nauseating actually. This summer has been the best time of my life. I will be back.

Nice man. All you're missing are pics from your ride over at Blueberry Hill the other night. :)
hahahahah! I said I'd give her a ring but apparently she already had one...

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I heard whistler was for chumps.

Mainly because I've got a 20 hour flight home to look forward to. Fsck.

Socket - you owe me $13

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Those pictures are great but the captions had me in stitches.... "with less style than Robbie Bourdon" you might be the Rob Warner of teh monkey.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
yup. haven't touched it since last year and was a bit clapped out - fork was splooging oil, front brake pulling to the bar (scary good times on the steeps), and the bb bearings were dying a horrible noisy death. a bit of loving is in order methinks. still an amazing bombhole levelling ride though.

will see if things come together next weekend...
haha yeah those things iron out terrain like nothing else. Pity they went under (again) really, in a straight line I still reckon they are the fastest bikes in the world.

Those pictures are great but the captions had me in stitches.... "with less style than Robbie Bourdon" you might be the Rob Warner of teh monkey.
If you've ever seen me ride you're probably well aware that my riding style resembles a stoned panda trying to keep his balance during an earthquake. Photos do not do the awkwardness justice ahah

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Nice pics! Spent the weekend there loving every minute. I think my favourite run of the weekend was Original Sin/Goat's Gully/Upper and Lower In Deep/Duffman/No Duff/CrackAddict (at least I think it went like that). Tech trails top to bottom and TONS of fun. Good job on the D1 hip. The moon dust was so deep in there today I couldn't find any traction at all.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Damn I LOVE Goats Gully and D1. Two of my favorite trails of all time. Maybe they aren't for everyone but god do I love those trails.

John P really does know how to party, I can attest to that

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
coast mountain photography had a shooter on the mountain on sat. cool service - they snap photos of random riders at select locations, then post proofs to their site where you can buy prints or download the high res files. not cheap, but nice quality
Agreed. Mine turned out so uncharacteristically photogenic, I just had to buy the file.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
coast mountain photography had a shooter on the mountain on sat. cool service - they snap photos of random riders at select locations, then post proofs to their site where you can buy prints or download the high res files. not cheap, but nice quality:
Good to get a run in with ya the other day man. Not gonna lie, I kinda thought you might be one of those people with sick bikes more for show than go, but was really cool to see you actually giving the Lahar a proper hammering!

It's new. Part of "Black Velvet". Turn left instead of going up the hikeabike on original sin.
Eh? Black velvet (inc that wallride) is down next to Captain Safety. Basically at the 3-way junction where you can go right for In Deep, straight for Captain Safety, or left for Bear Cub Connector, you go left then instead of following the fireroad down, veer around to the right. Joins back into In Deep just after where Captain Safety comes out. Wickedly fun section.

In other news, I just got home from over 12 hours of riding, doing a "downhill ironman". Nailed every run in the park (yes even After Atlantis and Smoke & Mirrors), plus Crazy Train, plus the trail which should not be publicly named, plus South of Heaven, and finished off with Ride Don't Slide. Worked it out to be over 33,000ft (that's roughly 10,000m) of descending in the one day (for the record, Everest is 29,000ft high), 24 scanned runs, one flat tyre, one busted hub, one completely bald rear tyre, and 3 riders with a combined total of about 35 broken-feeling knuckles.

Vid of D1 from the other day, filming with Floor Tom:

Tom's version of the same trail - http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234755

Also got held up by Nico Vouilloz today, fortunately I managed to get past him and went by like he was standing still... punter.

Last edited: