• Move in with loco and eat bacon

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
In order: 3, 1, 2. And 3 & 1 are close. All are out of my price range though.

I like that #3 has that in-law apartment in the back for the MIL to live in when the time comes.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I didn't look at either of the houses you linked. But I will tell you this, I moved into a nice neighborhood with a bigger yard.....no kids in our neighborhood, so my son has this great big yard to play in, and a great safe neighborhood to ride his bike around, but no friends to enjoy it all with.

I regret that the most of all the factors in my purchase.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I didn't look at either of the houses you linked. But I will tell you this, I moved into a nice neighborhood with a bigger yard.....no kids in our neighborhood, so my son has this great big yard to play in, and a great safe neighborhood to ride his bike around, but no friends to enjoy it all with.

I regret that the most of all the factors in my purchase.
that is my #1 concern - I'm hoping to go around the hood of house three and talk to a few people and see if there are any kids around.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
three then a very close one, and two a no purely based on the house. cleaning the leaves up on #1 looks like a never-ending job.

i have kids too - make sure you really factor them in. a boring place (like where i grew up) can really suck. until you discover pot.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
speaking from experience....steep driveways on the east coast in the winter are not fun.....i would exclude #1.

although it doesn't look that long....

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
3. But the spread on price is pretty drastic. Everybody is right about the kids thing is big. Local schools is a huge factor too, especially if you plan on being there for a while.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the second house we lived in in virgina was similar to #3....change the garage to living space....add a addition the same size as the garage to the other end....separate garage in back with breezeway....full basement....on 10 acres...i miss that house.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
speaking from experience....steep driveways on the east coast in the winter are not fun.....i would exclude #1.

Houses with the garage as the most prominent frontal feature are architectural abominations.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I'm a boat owner, so house #3 looks good. it appears to be near some access to Patuxent River Mouth (and by default - Chesapeake Bay). Does it have any access rights to a boat ramp or portion of waterfront?

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
you get use to them and if you salt and keep them clear your fine. my drive way is a good 600-700 feet and insanely steep..... only one car went down it sideways :p

i voted number to because the house seems to have the most open floor plan.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Aesthetically, all three options are pretty unpleasant.
I should say that I'm incredibly picky about all design related things, dislike virtually all suburban-type architecture, and don't particularly care for the outside appearance of my own house.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I should say that I'm incredibly picky about all design related things, dislike virtually all suburban-type architecture, and don't particularly care for the outside appearance of my own house.
This was a favorite book of mine as a little kid......your username plus what you just described makes it eerily appropriate:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I'll assume it's at my expense.
Book about a guy who lived on a street where all the houses were identical, seagull flew over and dropped a can of orange paint on his roof. Rather than remove the paint, he went nuts and painted/decorated his house/lawn to be wildly different and stand out from everyone else. His name was Mr. Plumbean.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
you get use to them and if you salt and keep them clear your fine. my drive way is a good 600-700 feet and insanely steep..... only one car went down it sideways :p
the driveway to our first house in virginia totaled two UPS trucks.

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Book about a guy who lived on a street where all the houses were identical, seagull flew over and dropped a can of orange paint on his roof. Rather than remove the paint, he went nuts and painted/decorated his house/lawn to be wildly different and stand out from everyone else. His name was Mr. Plumbean.
Ah. Not too far off.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Dude, you need to come up to Mechanicsville, look in Ben Oaks. Elementary school is less than 1 mile up the street, Chopticon high school for future, way better than Great Mills or Leonardtown, IMO.