Quantcast

Pick me a TV (dinner)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I need a new TV, 46 or 47". Don't care for 3d, but getting a smaaaht TV wouldn't be bad. Mostly I want something that has a great picture and good sound. Budget hovers at 800.

Samsung and LG seem to be frontrunners, but I dunnolol which of the 9000 models is any good.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
TV is stupid and you shouldn't buy one and go read a book and go outside more and I hate you and you are ugly and you suck for buying a TV you douche.

Sorry, I just wanted to be the first person here to offer that advice.

Edit: Our 48" TV is only few years old and not ready to be replaced but I'd love a smart TV.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm sure it's going to be moderately useless as nobody has quite figured out how to make a computer that's also a tv that's also a computer without some kind of near-field thermo-kinetics and a degree in fax machine repair in order to change websites....but at the same time, in a few years it might be really neat to be able to call up a movie on "THE CLOUD" and play it on "THE TV", if they ever figure it out.

Right now we have a 42" westinghouse which has held up amazingly well for 10 years...but it's getting the ugly. I can't really bring myself to buy into 3d, but all of the higher end TVs have it...so you either have a dumb tv lit by matches or 3d retina-blasting wicked-smaaht laserdisk compatible megatron TV.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
samsung all the way, unless you're a cheapskate, in which case why am i even responding to this thread.

smart tv's are pretty cool, but IMO worthless if its gonna be hooked up to a video game console or other connected tv device (roku, apple tv, etc). it's really just redundant services that work better on the other devices.

also, a chromecast is $35, does netflix, hbo go, u-tub, hulu plus, off the top of my head the only service it doesn't work with is amazon prime streaming.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you have a samsung phone then get a samsung tv. A smart one.
I do!

I don't have a video game console to hook it up to right now. I have a bluray player that does have wifi connectivity (it's a sony) but it isn't the easiest thing to navigate. In fact, it kind of sucks. So, I could probably get away with that and a dumb TV, but I like the idea of an all-in-one, especially for future proofiness.

I don't have any of the chromecast jobbers, and a smart TV is really only like $60 more expensive than a "dumb" tv.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I need a new TV, 46 or 47". Don't care for 3d, but getting a smaaaht TV wouldn't be bad. Mostly I want something that has a great picture and good sound. Budget hovers at 800.

Samsung and LG seem to be frontrunners, but I dunnolol which of the 9000 models is any good.

Are you a BJ's Wholesale member? You might be able to see this model and buy it over on Seyon Street.

Last edited:

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
I just bought a Samsung for my bedroom. A little smaller than what you are looking for (37) and even bought it at the giant evil store.

It was a display model with one of the little red price buster stickers on it. Sales chick gave me additional $ off because of some scratches on the back where they had it mounted. Out the door for less than 300, and it is a smart one. I'm not really into TV's enough to get all excited about pixels and refresh rates, and whatever else you can debate about them.

It comes on when I push the button, and the picture is good enough.
Less than 300 was the big selling point for me.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm only replying because I just bought a new TV last week. I think I got the last 50" Panasonic Plasma.
$800 is on the high end for that size, unless you really want ultra thin.
Depending on what you are watching and the lighting the room, Plasma is still relevant. And there are some good deals.
Unless you are going to be getting a sound bar or AV system, pay attention to sound. Most of them sound really bad. Not sure why they even bother putting speakers in them. Decent sound bars can be had for $150 so budget that if you want to here stuff

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I'm only replying because I just bought a new TV last week. I think I got the last 50" Panasonic Plasma.
$800 is on the high end for that size, unless you really want ultra thin.
Depending on what you are watching and the lighting the room, Plasma is still relevant. And there are some good deals.
Unless you are going to be getting a sound bar or AV system, pay attention to sound. Most of them sound really bad. Not sure why they even bother putting speakers in them. Decent sound bars can be had for $150 so budget that if you want to here stuff
My brother just picked up the some thing about a week ago also. Plasma is being phased out and he wanted it for the faster refresh rates.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I just bought a new TV today.

My options were:

Samsung 46in LED @ 599€
Thomson 50in LED Smart @ 630€
Philips 46in LED @ 499€

I wanted something to connect my loaded external hard drive over wifi. I was steered away from smart TVs as they are likely to age quickly as technology races ahead. This would leave me with a not-so-smart TV in a few years time.
As both of us have Macs and iPhones, we were advised to get a regular LED TV and attach an Apple TV. Apple's offering is better than a TV company's proprietary interface. That's what I ended up with. A Samsung (arguably the better TV make in that list) and a regular LED 46in. Attached an Apple TV and easily set it up and have been watching stuff direct from my hard drive which is attached to my router in another room. All wirelessly. It's magic I tells ya.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I just bought a new TV today.

My options were:

Samsung 46in LED @ 599€
Thomson 50in LED Smart @ 630€
Philips 46in LED @ 499€

I wanted something to connect my loaded external hard drive over wifi. I was steered away from smart TVs as they are likely to age quickly as technology races ahead. This would leave me with a not-so-smart TV in a few years time.
As both of us have Macs and iPhones, we were advised to get a regular LED TV and attach an Apple TV. Apple's offering is better than a TV company's proprietary interface. That's what I ended up with. A Samsung (arguably the better TV make in that list) and a regular LED 46in. Attached an Apple TV and easily set it up and have been watching stuff direct from my hard drive which is attached to my router in another room. All wirelessly. It's magic I tells ya.

Of your 3 choices, going with the Samsung was definitely the best decision. :thumb:

"Dumb" tv's and devices like the roku/chromecast/apple tv are pretty much already outdated. :)

I have a 55" Samsung "smart" LED, and it does everything you are doing, without the extra box. If you're happy with your setup, that's ultimately all that matters, but offerings like apple tv are just a bridge for non-smart tv's to keep them relevant for a few more years.

Set-top boxes are being phased out fairly quickly.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBAFYWC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2V25GVFU9BPOZ&coliid=IFK7NQMK55HGD

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRTFK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2V25GVFU9BPOZ&coliid=IJTGS12TAEGG9

These are the two that I have my eye on, with one being 3d and the other not. I like LG panels, I have two of them that are still going strong and look great, a 24" LCD and a 17" LCD (both PC monitors). In fact, I've been happy with every LG appliance I've owned, including two air conditioners, my oven and fridge, and a pair of phones. That being said, I'm also happy with my samsung phone, and I hear great things about the rest of their junk.

Again, I don't need 3d and will likely never use it, but the LG TV also has a 2.1 sound system, which will make listening a little bit more enjoyable while the stereo is packed up during the toddler years. It's also pretty, and has the fancy remote.

The samsung has a matte, non-reflective screen which is fantastic, skips 3d for cheaperness, and is also pretty, as well as being underbudget instead of over. There are a couple of mentions on the amazon page of a built in subwoofer, but the samsung spec page says nothign about it, so I think it might be a typo.

Input?

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBAFYWC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2V25GVFU9BPOZ&coliid=IFK7NQMK55HGD

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRTFK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2V25GVFU9BPOZ&coliid=IJTGS12TAEGG9

These are the two that I have my eye on, with one being 3d and the other not. I like LG panels, I have two of them that are still going strong and look great, a 24" LCD and a 17" LCD (both PC monitors). In fact, I've been happy with every LG appliance I've owned, including two air conditioners, my oven and fridge, and a pair of phones. That being said, I'm also happy with my samsung phone, and I hear great things about the rest of their junk.

Again, I don't need 3d and will likely never use it, but the LG TV also has a 2.1 sound system, which will make listening a little bit more enjoyable while the stereo is packed up during the toddler years. It's also pretty, and has the fancy remote.

The samsung has a matte, non-reflective screen which is fantastic, skips 3d for cheaperness, and is also pretty, as well as being underbudget instead of over. There are a couple of mentions on the amazon page of a built in subwoofer, but the samsung spec page says nothign about it, so I think it might be a typo.

Input?
"Santa" got our family a Samsung UN46F6300 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV you link to above (from Amazon no less). It has already come down about $75 in cost since we purchased in December.
It does NOT have the subwoofer built in (we use a reciever with surround speakers & a sub, which is optimal in this case), and being that since it is a slim LED the stock speakers are just OK, but tolerable. Otherwise, this is a great smart TV, and the picture is great in all types of lighting. I haven't fiddled with color setting, and I typically do, but this set has pretty decent color right out of the box. We run it on the "natural" setting.
The smart features display themselves as soon as you start using the tv (after telling it which cable provider and region you use, and connecting it to your wifi). When you turn it on, the first screen it shows is a "SMART HUB" screen with your CATV input showing the last channel playing in a small screen in the upper left corner, and all around it a bunch of menu screens displaying upcoming shows & previews. It's a nice menu visual to see when turning on the tv.
The smart features will be especially awesome if you already have a Samsung phone, as there are some really slick options built in that it seamlessly integrates with.

Here are a few of the apps I've seen on it: Skype app. where you can attach a webcam to the top of the TV, and sit at your couch on a skype call, there are all the apps you can find on a Roku, like Netflix, Hulu, Facebook, Twitter, Crackle, Amazon video, Pandora, Youtube, a full featured web-browser (you can buy a separate Samsung bluetooth keyboard to make inputting web addresses and navigating the mouse pointer easier), and you can go to their "app store" and add more apps as you go. There is a Samsung TV specific social media app, that allows you to launch FB/TWT etc so you can have an on screan dialogue w/ your friend while wathcing tv in a small panel to the right of the main pic. I dont use it, no Samsung phone, and probably wouldn't anyways...
It also has mulitple USB and HDMI inputs, in example, you can put your family pics on a USB flash drive, and go to the media app to show a family video with music scrolling through the pictures, my kids like this. There are a bunch of other apps I haven't used yet. The only downside at this point is if you have apple devices, you got nothing built in for that interface, which would then require you to buy an apple tv. Although the Samsung remote app can be put on an iphone, it has a full function querty KB which makes inputting to social apps and web features a little easier.

PM/reply if you have any questions.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
personally, i'm of the mindset that the speakers built into a tv are so crappy these days that i wish manufacturers would offer options without them to save on the cost.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
personally, i'm of the mindset that the speakers built into a tv are so crappy these days that i wish manufacturers would offer options without them to save on the cost.

I would have loved a no built-in speaker "credit" to use towards a speaker purchase. I picked up a Samsung sound bar the same time that I purchased my tv.

However, I want something better and plan on purchasing this fairly soon.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a decent home theater setup, boston acoustics center and dipolar/bipolar rears with a yamaha reciever that sounds fantastic...need new bookshelf speakers for the l/r main channels...BUT...

I have a kid now, and soon she's going to be a toddler, and toddlers LOVE messing stuff up. We don't have room for a built-in stereo cabinet, and I'd prefer to skip something to sensitive to juice and soda and 2ft weapons of destruction as possible...so a built in speaker would be best. I also haven't had time to deal with even putting a movie on in the four months she's been alive, so having another 4 remotes for the sound bar, TV, cable box, and bluray player is a bit...excessive. I just want to turn it on and go.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Of your 3 choices, going with the Samsung was definitely the best decision. :thumb:

"Dumb" tv's and devices like the roku/chromecast/apple tv are pretty much already outdated. :)

I have a 55" Samsung "smart" LED, and it does everything you are doing, without the extra box. If you're happy with your setup, that's ultimately all that matters, but offerings like apple tv are just a bridge for non-smart tv's to keep them relevant for a few more years.

Set-top boxes are being phased out fairly quickly.
I'm extremely skeptical that TV manufacturers will be able to create *anything* that is a reasonable user experience. My guess is that eventually TVs will go iOS/Android and just be another "phone/tablet" type thing. Because all the intelligence already exists there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm extremely skeptical that TV manufacturers will be able to create *anything* that is a reasonable user experience. My guess is that eventually TVs will go iOS/Android and just be another "phone/tablet" type thing. Because all the intelligence already exists there.
most of the better/most popular TV manufacturers also make phones...LG, Samsung....

Personally I don't think anything will ever come close to the old keyboard and mouse or some sort of bluetooth tv-tablet arrangement, but it sounds like some people are headed in that direction anyways. I don't think TV over internet is really here yet...it's getting close, but for 90% of the things I'd want to watch via intertubes, I either would rather watch on my tablet or it's going to require a more in depth process that's going to require my computer.