Quantcast

Pick my next car

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I just traded my Element. I really liked it, but on a good day I was only getting about 23 mpg. If you can deal with the mileage, everything else is great about the Element.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Well that's where the chics belong, unless of course they are driving back to the bottom of the mountain on a shuttle run :oink: :oink: :oink:
MAYBE the chicks you know sit in the back, but not up here :p ....and we take turns driving and riding down the mountain ;)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

NGP in Maryland has a wagon for sale. Not this one.

If I had the money I would buy it.

narlus said:
is the mileage range overall driving, and do you do mostly highway? for 4 bikes, i'd go w/ a hitch rack and roof rack. i could fit 4 bikes and people in my civic, if i throw my roof rack on. it's well under 30K and can get much better than 30mpg.
Of course, once roof racks and bikes are on top, mileage takes a significant hit...

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
but then again, except for the turbo models, your Odyssey is faster and handles better
Wow, to think people may actually listen to you(I'm shocked really). there is no way on earth an odyssey handles better than my 02 suby 2.5rs.

Or handle better than any suby.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how about a mazda 3 or 6 wagon? Great build quality and mileage will probably be great. Not going to look it up, but the three is probably well under 30. If used is an option, volvo wouldn't be a bad way to look, but I would say avoid anything german or american. Japanese have build quality for less, in my experience. You could check out a pontiac vibe/toyota matrix, but those just don't rub me the same way a mazda does.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Sandwich said:
You could check out a pontiac vibe/toyota matrix, but those just don't rub me the same way a mazda does.
I agree about the questionable looks of the vibe/matrix. I just find hard not to like a car that's as usefull as they are. If the cars looked better the sales would be through the roof.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
same thing with the element. Great functionality, questionable design.

I think you're best bet is a wagon. SUV/Truck is poor MPG, and a sedan isn't going to give you the same cargo capacity.

Mazdas are designed to be sportier, as in firmer suspension and a tighter ride, plus the looks are light years ahead of others. I believe they're pretty good in terms of reliability too.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
mazda 3 has been ok in reliability, mazda 6 has been poor. this according to my memory + consumer reports.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i just changed the oil in my 02 Golf TDI.

man i love that car.

diesel here is below gas at 2.05!

i got it last summer and have put 35,000 on it

and can't quit driving it!

for more that two get a passat.

EDIT: O, i get 40+ @80 W/AC and cruzzzzzzzzzzze

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I'm driving an 03 Mazda P5 and digging it. The 3 seems nice too, but bigger engine and heavier car - plus more expensive (and uglier I think). Both models seem to hold their value well - mine is still worth more than what I paid for it. It handles pretty damn well for what it is. Averages 30mph for city/hwy w/ a roof rack. I've had 3 bikes one at once, if I had a receiver I could fit 4. The only issue I've had w/ it is the stock tire size 195/50 - hard to find replacements that aren't summer tires or crap. my 2 cents.