Quantcast

Picked up a beach cruiser to rebuild for the lady.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Found an older 3sp steel frame Electra beach cruiser on CL that could use some love. Has a little surface rust, but I figured I would strip it down, put on some fresh parts and revive it. I thought it was a cool looking frame.

On a side note, what are my options for cranks? It has the 1pc cranks that look the same as I had on my bmx bike forever ago, but they are pretty rusted. I disassembled the whole bike last night, so it's ready to go to the powdercoaters.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Think about a bmx crank.

One-piece jobs suck, and a bmx crank will be extremely stiff.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, I thought about bmx cranks. I don't mind putting some cash into it since she will likely be keeping it and riding it for a long time. I guess I just need to figure out what type of bottom bracket and cranks I need.

I have found some generic 'beach cruiser' replacements, but they are literally just cast steel parts. Maybe it shouldn't bug me to use stuff like that, but it does haha.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I did the conversion for a cruiser, it was a standard 68mm english thread job.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Electra is local to SoCal right? I recently resurrected a 1982 Schwinn World Tourister. Was able to use an old shimano 68x105 square taper. Was a bit of a tight fit, but a quick trip to the LBS to have the BB threads chased and the shell reamed let me finish the install quick and easy.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Electra is local to SoCal right? I recently resurrected a 1982 Schwinn World Tourister. Was able to use an old shimano 68x105 square taper. Was a bit of a tight fit, but a quick trip to the LBS to have the BB threads chased and the shell reamed let me finish the install quick and easy.
I believe so. I looked up some info on the model and it looks like one of their first ones. The company was started in 1993. I might e-mail them when I get a chance and see when it was made out of curiosity.

Oct 9, 2006
That is going to be an American BB shell to allow those Ashtabula cranks to fit so you will need a bottom bracket adapter to be able to run a threaded BB.

Something like this:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That is going to be an American BB shell to allow those Ashtabula cranks to fit so you will need a bottom bracket adapter to be able to run a threaded BB.

Something like this:
Thanks. We actually went to a relatively local bike shop last night that was really helpful. They have 3 piece cranksets for less than $100 that come with sealed bearings that fit right in and the cranks. Should work out for what I need. They knew exactly what my options were and have stuff in stock. I will probably head back this weekend and get some stuff.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The other question I got is headsets. Looks like a 1" threaded headset. Will any 1" threaded one work or are there different cup sizes or anything funky like that?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
The other question I got is headsets. Looks like a 1" threaded headset. Will any 1" threaded one work or are there different cup sizes or anything funky like that?
Is it not rebuildable? Most older headsets were tanks and can easily come back to life with a good cleaning and new grease.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Is it not rebuildable? Most older headsets were tanks and can easily come back to life with a good cleaning and new grease.
I might be able to save it, but it is chrome and has some rust issues that I don't really feel like dealing with.