Quantcast

Pics from Saturdays Pisgah ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Yeah I would of liked to see some "burrs", but atleast Kenen took us to "El Sh!tholio", for that great mexican food!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
ok...fun trails and all BUT....

Does anyone else find it a little bit stupid to be running truckloads of DHers (and putting pictures of it on the internet for that matter) on a trail that JUST got reopened to bikers, and was closed for several years BECAUSE of heavy traffic, skid marks/erosion, dudes in DH gear scaring hikers etc...

Granted, nobody can tell you not to do it, both trails are fully legal right now.

I really don't mean to be an asshole, it looks like you guys had fun, just as a former Brevard local, I know the type of attention rides like that attract to hikers and XC riders that are local to the area and I felt the need to say something. Take it how you may, just be careful is all I'm saying. Maybe a weekday or an overcast day would be a better choice for that type of ride. There are a lot of locals (not me) that really don't appreciate shuttling in that area of the forest.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
As far as locals that don't appreciate shuttling - is it just me or do we have the same rights to be there as they do when they climb?? Also, who really cares what they think? Am I not a local because I live in Asheville? What if I don't appreciate them climbing - does that mean they should stop??
I believe most of the hostility doesn't come from bitterness about "cheating" to get to the top, but more from the adverse effects of heavier traffic on the trails. For example, this group was 10 people on DH bikes (hypothetical), and they did 3 runs. That's 30 sets of tires (probably DH tires) hitting the trail, probably going way faster than the average xc rider (can't hate there, I do it too!). On a steep trail like one of these is (I don't think the tread on the other is at as much risk) thats a pretty significant number erosion/impact wise. If the forest service sees immediate decline in trail condition after it's reopened to bikers, who's to say they don't just close it down again?

I'm really not trying to call anyone out here, just trying to pass along some knowledge that might help everyone out. Nobody said you can't drive to the top if you want to, but just be smart. Lets face it, neither of those trails requires a DH bike OR full gear. I've ridden both of the trails there on my 4 inch hardtail in XC gear more times than I can count. Groups like the one above freight training down narrow pisgah trails is what gets whiny hikers running to the ranger's station to complain.

Being from Asheville, I DO consider you to be a pisgah local. But if that's the case, you should know enough about how things are around here that you wouldn't be ragging on me so bad.

I'm trying to give logical, intelligent reasoning to back up my arguments here. If I'm totally out of line, so be it, but i'm standing by my opinion. Just consider what I have to say next time you organize a ride, I'm not trying to hate, just trying to inform.

EDIT: Also, I do realize many people do not know the history of conflict regarding these trails, I apologize to those that didn't. What you guys were doing is fully legal, just know there has been significant conflict in the past regarding the amount of shuttling going on in that area. I've been riding in the Brevard area for over 10 years, and i'm just trying to protect the trails and places I love.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Just kidding, I'm just SUPER jealous that I wasn't invited.
Wow your true colors really come out on line. Your still the same Butt Pirate, we all knew before. Its funny you changed your name, not surprising though. Why dont you just delete your posts and go start your own thread and post pics of all the "legal trails" you ride. No one who has anything to do with this thread really cares what you have to say.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
You obviously haven't realized that the trails you were riding in this thread are the very ones I have been referencing EVERY time we've gotten into this argument. Some people just never learn.

I was just trying to offer the knowledge of experience to the Wilson's situation, but this one actually kind of pisses me off. It's a HUGE priviledge that bikes are even allowed on part of that particular trail now, and it's immediately back to huge groups of riders on it being posted on the internet. If I haven't made it clear enough, that's the EXACT SAME THING THAT GOT THE TRAIL SHUT DOWN THE FIRST TIME. There were people on that ride that knew better to take a group of that size down those trails in full gear on DH bikes.

Davidson isn't Wilsons, it's much more well-traveled and well-marked. This type of activity isn't appreciated by a lot of local people, the ones that probably maintan and fix the trails that you guys were on. User conflict doesn't exist in most parts of Wilson's we ride, but that's because we're mostly the only users. Those trails end at the horse stables for god's sake. They run guided horse tours on the trails in the area. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal to you if rangers came and changed the signs next week, but to me, someone who lives there and has ridden these trails for years, that would be devastating.

You have something against me, and I know this. I knew that response would piss you off, but this is a blatant repetition of the behavior that got the trail shut down in the first place. Don't talk about what you don't know.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
In case anyone is wondering, I deleted my previous tirade because I no longer feel compelled to debate points that are based on assumptions and flawed logic.

Though I identify in the regard that you want to keep these trails open, I must point out that no one except for you mentioned the name of a single trail.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
In case anyone is wondering, I deleted my previous tirade because I no longer feel compelled to debate points that are based on assumptions and flawed logic.
Man, now my response just looks like angry ramblings about nothing:imstupid:\

Also, this isn't just some prejudice I've developed towards you guys in particular. I know this concern has been voiced to me by many forest users and I just felt you guys should be made aware of it.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
El Chapala....mmmmm

At least you guys were supporting local fine dining establishments.

and I do realize that we're talking about a pure gem of a shuttle trail here, that has a lot to do with why I got so defensive.

Just be smart guys, I don't have a problem with ANYONE riding trails in Pisgah so long as they are legal, just if you encounter anyone, properly yield and say hello. Which I'm sure you guys did anyway.

Edit: Cleaned up this mess of a thread. I'm leaving up points that I think need to be read by all.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Despite the deliciousness of El Chapala, anyone coming from greenville that chooses NOT to stop at Mike's Chuckwagon at exit #3 on 25 does not deserve to cross into NC.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
You have something against me, and I know this. I knew that response would piss you off, but this is a blatant repetition of the behavior that got the trail shut down in the first place. Don't talk about what you don't know.
I have nothing against you, I would have something against anyone who would make such an ignorant comment. And what did I talk about that I dont know about? I know what happened to this trail, and didnt say sh!t about anything but your ignorant comment.

Those kind of comments make me think, you think, your too good to ride with us? Or so your comments portray. If you wouldnt of made that stupid comment I wouldnt of said anything. We werent doing anything wrong, we treated all hikers and equestrians (horse people, if I spelled that wrong), with total respect and courtesy, nothing we did is gonna shut any trail down.

Oh and that Mexican place sucked, El Sh!tholio is what I will call it.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Oh and that Mexican place sucked, El Sh!tholio is what I will call it.

Uh oh...Don't tell Butch or Matt.

I wasn't trying to imply I was too good to ride with ya'll, I just somehow doubt I'll be getting invitations to the next big ride. Big groups just aren't my thing man, I ride to get away from people. I guess I just got over shuttling in Davidson a long time ago, enough dirty looks and comments from people got to me eventually. Realize that 4 years ago, I was getting reamed on forums for shuttling and posting pictures of those same trails.

I really wouldn't have said a thing if it were ANY other trail. I realized my other efforts were a lost cause a long time ago. I'm not gonna blow things out of proportion. That comment was out of line and my comments were attracting more attention to the issue than the initial thread. That's why I deleted my posts.

pisgahrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
Judging by the photos, these guys were not true DHers.
Most people I see on the trails with big hit bikes just don't need all that travel and would be better server with a 4-5 inch bike.

Futhermore, the hard core DHers I know go the the summer ski areas for big time air, they can really lay it all out with out worring about taking out a family of hikers.

National Forest like Pisgah are for all users, not just bikers, and if we want to keep our access to the trails we must respect all the other trail users as well. Super fast, blind flying downhilling belongs on a downhill specfic course.

It is all good, from the weekend wariors to the balls out DHers, just be smart so that we will continue to have trails to ride.

FOOD FYI:
El Chapala is not a good place to eat.
Drive into Brevard at eat at Pescados Burritos or Cileto Lindo mex.
Or better yet go into Hendersonville or south Asheville (near Bent Creek) and eat at Papas and Beer

Nc Bo

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Bend OR/Asheville NC
El Chapala....mmmmm

At least you guys were supporting local fine dining establishments.

and I do realize that we're talking about a pure gem of a shuttle trail here, that has a lot to do with why I got so defensive.

Just be smart guys, I don't have a problem with ANYONE riding trails in Pisgah so long as they are legal, just if you encounter anyone, properly yield and say hello. Which I'm sure you guys did anyway.

Edit: Cleaned up this mess of a thread. I'm leaving up points that I think need to be read by all.

Who the f are you and why do think it is wrong to shuttle in pisgah? And why do you think we care what the local XC guys say about our shuttling? So shut it and put your bitch ass posts up somewhere else.
Bo

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Who the f are you and why do think it is wrong to shuttle in pisgah? And why do you think we care what the local XC guys say about our shuttling? So shut it and put your bitch ass posts up somewhere else.
Bo
hahahha...this is EXACTLY the type of "I don't care" attitude that gets trails shut down. This is also EXACTLY the type of "holier than thou" attitude that gives DHers a bad rap in general.

You my friend, are an idiot. Don't care about what the locals think of you? That's pretty Effed up if you ask me considering they are the ones that suffer when your dumb ass comes in there actin a fool and gets trails shut down.

And who the F am I? Just someone that has LIVED in Brevard and SEEN what unresponsible use by mountain bikers can do to trail access.

ass.

Everyone else in this thread has been for the most part civil. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about regarding pisgah if you're rattling off stupid comments like these.

Nc Bo

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Bend OR/Asheville NC
hahahha...this is EXACTLY the type of "I don't care" attitude that gets trails shut down. This is also EXACTLY the type of "holier than thou" attitude that gives DHers a bad rap in general.

You my friend, are an idiot. Don't care about what the locals think of you? That's pretty Effed up if you ask me considering they are the ones that suffer when your dumb ass comes in there actin a fool and gets trails shut down.

And who the F am I? Just someone that has LIVED in Brevard and SEEN what unresponsible use by mountain bikers can do to trail access.
Yeah so who are you? I want to put a face with your ****. I am usually civil but you make me steam.. Just who is a local? how far away do i have to live to be a local? what trails have unresponsible bikers hurt access to?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Ok...I had trouble interpreting that last part. If you can't figure out who I am already, then you obviously don't know me.

"What trails have unresponsible bikers hurt access to?"

Are you serious...did you even read the thread?

Remember what I said about you not knowing what you're talking about in any way regarding Pisgah??....uhhh...yeah

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
^^^mulestar is faster than you i bet. and cooler. and is able to come ride my beautiful dh trails on my gated private property with my own mountains and a river and creeks and thousands of feet of elevation. and a road to shuttle. you can't come since you have an e-tude towards someone just trying to tell people to be responsible and to help keep things enjoyable for future generations. just be nice and ride your bike.

Nc Bo

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Bend OR/Asheville NC
Ok...I had trouble interpreting that last part. If you can't figure out who I am already, then you obviously don't know me.

"What trails have unresponsible bikers hurt access to?"

Are you serious...did you even read the thread?

Remember what I said about you not knowing what you're talking about in any way regarding Pisgah??....uhhh...yeah
Dude I am going to find out who you are you (punk ass). You are the idiot and i hope to meet you sometime cause you sir must not know what the **** you are talking about. you see, i live in Mills River and I am happy to sign my posts with my real name so shuffle off dick stick. Bo

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
harsh words, you sound like the type that gives bikers a bad name. gonna start a fight? oooh badass.

just ride your bike and chill man. riding bikes is a good thing, don't kill it with the anger you seem to have.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Wow your true colors really come out on line. Your still the same Butt Pirate, we all knew before. Its funny you changed your name, not surprising though. Why dont you just delete your posts and go start your own thread and post pics of all the "legal trails" you ride. No one who has anything to do with this thread really cares what you have to say.
I didn't even have to read the rest of the posts to say
that talk like that is totally uncalled for
don't be a ****ing ass when hes trying to look out for the best interest of riders and trails that everyone love, really take your 4th grade smack talking to pink bike

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Bo
Another ignorant asshole shows himself
wow didn't know how many existed in the south

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
it's true, if everyone could just get along more like the people in the pnw, we would have way less problems with trail access and person to person relations in general, too bad that southern hospitality is a thing of the past, replaced by ignorance, rudeness, a lack of respect and an abundance of hostility.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I didn't even have to read the rest of the posts to say
that talk that that is totally un called for
don't be a ****ing ass when hes trying to look out for the best interest of riders and trails that everyone love, really talk you 4th grade smack talking to pink bike
What? You didnt even have to read the rest of the posts to say that talk that that totally un called for / (and) really talk you 4th grade smack talking to pink bike, luckily for you I speak idiot and understood the senseless sh!t you just typed. Again someone who has nothing to do with the thread and nothing to really add. Thanx for your input chief.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
What? You didnt even have to read the rest of the posts to say that talk that that totally un called for / (and) really talk you 4th grade smack talking to pink bike, luckily for you I speak idiot and understood the senseless sh!t you just typed. Again someone who has nothing to do with the thread and nothing to really add. Thanx for your input chief.
Yea after a long day of college my 4th grade typing is a little rough aha:imstupid:
and nothing to do with the situation?
anyone that rides these trails has something to do with it and a concern in what careless actions could lead to the shutting down of the trails.:plthumbsdown:
your right I don't have much to input into the situation except that a couple of people in this thread are immature assholes that make a bad name for the sport that we love, and MOST of us respect:disgust1:

and after I have read the rest of the thread my previous statements still stand

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Edit: And El Chapala DOESN'T SUCK!! I ate there twice this past weekend and both were good (and I generally don't even like Mexican all that much).
Thanks for your retraction and long live the El Chapala, where the waitor just stares at you in a total fog when you ask for salsa. That place has saved my life pretty much everytime I've ridden in Pizgah.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Dude I am going to find out who you are you (punk ass). You are the idiot and i hope to meet you sometime cause you sir must not know what the **** you are talking about. you see, i live in Mills River and I am happy to sign my posts with my real name so shuffle off dick stick. Bo

Dude...you are ridiculous. Are you seriously threatening me over this crap? Get a life.

And if you are really all that concerned with my name...its REALLY not that hard to figure out.

And how do I not know what I'm talking about? If you had any idea what was going on in YOUR forest (since you do live in mills river), you would know that one of these trails was just reopened after being closed for 2 years.

You seem to think I'm uninformed, but we are talking about the forest I visited on a daily basis for the entire time I was living in Brevard.

You can disagree with me if you want, but save the worthless threats for elsewhere, I'm not doing anything to deserve that.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
"There's too much drama in mountain biking."
I hear there's a lot of drama in the LBC....

"its kinda hard bein snoop d-o-double-g But i, somehow, some way Keep comin up with funky ass sh!t like every single day ..."
-snoop d-o-double-g

Status
Not open for further replies.