Quantcast

Pics of my new DHR....

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Nothing too crazy, but i snapped off a couple of quick pics...super happy with the bike so far....only swapping tires and grabbing a ti spring at some point...other than that, i love everything on the bike....

-new sram derailleur is much improved...
-new codes are great but i may opt for metallic pads for a little more power
-'11 boxxer is WAY better than '10 boxxer
-elka is dope
-E.13 cranks are incredible but the one weird call out i have is to maybe radius the machining on the arms...it sounds strange but they're so sharp and square edged that they snag on your shoes
-canfield pedals are pretty sweet
-point one stem is straight and stiff
as always cane creek never fails to suck, and my headset was wacky, i had to put my e.13 spacers BB spacers between the top race and the upper cap so it wouldn't rub on the upper cup....i still don't know why i even bother buying their products...
-hadley/721/dt combo never fails....

that's all for now....

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Nice build, and awesome frame! I'm especially jealous of the sunny SoCal weather as seen in your pics. Here in NJ, I've been buried in snow and ice the entire winter.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I have to say man, she is really nice!

ONly downside for me is the front end. Could of tidied up the gussets, dont follow the lines of the bike. Also how long will the bushes in the shock last after some mud! ;-)

However i think you would just forget about after one run! :-)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
as always cane creek never fails to suck, and my headset was wacky, i had to put my e.13 spacers BB spacers between the top race and the upper cap so it wouldn't rub on the upper cup....i still don't know why i even bother buying their products...
didnt the headset come with shims for this problem?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Nothing too crazy, but i snapped off a couple of quick pics...super happy with the bike so far....only swapping tires and grabbing a ti spring at some point...other than that, i love everything on the bike....

-new sram derailleur is much improved...
-new codes are great but i may opt for metallic pads for a little more power
-'11 boxxer is WAY better than '10 boxxer
-elka is dope
-E.13 cranks are incredible but the one weird call out i have is to maybe radius the machining on the arms...it sounds strange but they're so sharp and square edged that they snag on your shoes
-canfield pedals are pretty sweet
-point one stem is straight and stiff
-hadley/721/dt combo never fails....

that's all for now....
Sick ride.

Yeah, best to take those crank arms to the belt sander/buffing wheel. I had a pair eat through my shoes, and almost my ankle, before doing so.

E*13 crank designer, why the infatuation with sharp edges? A little radius goes a long way...

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
looks good. :thumb:

i have a bunch of CC headsets in the bike quiver...they've been great for me, perfect tolerance and easy installation. have you called CC to find out what's going on here?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Is that the WC or R2C2 ?

Share some of the tangible improvements over '10?
It's R2C2...

I was only getting 5.5" of travel out of my '10 fork with the compression damping all the way out and a medium spring...i weigh around 185 lbs.

so, almost anything is an improvement really....the new one is sprung correctly, the damping adjustments work well, and are pretty independent of one another....

i've always liked the boxxer chassis...RS just needed so sort out their damping issues...it isn't a perfect fork, i've felt better damping, don't get me wrong....but overall it's pretty damn good

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
looks good. :thumb:

i have a bunch of CC headsets in the bike quiver...they've been great for me, perfect tolerance and easy installation. have you called CC to find out what's going on here?
putting that spacer in worked fine, i'm too lazy to call them about that, besides last time i used a headset they designed wrong they wanted me to PAY for the new redesigned lower race and shipping on it...long story, but it was not cool and they handled it poorly in my opinion

Nice rig, I am hoping to join you in the ranks of new dhr owners, I got some laps on them at whistler last year and it was instantly comfortable through the ruff stuff and fun as hell on the big jumps! Screw that crank bros headset junk!

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Nice rig, I am hoping to join you in the ranks of new dhr owners, I got some laps on them at whistler last year and it was instantly comfortable through the ruff stuff and fun as hell on the big jumps! Screw that crank bros headset junk!
Cane Creek, not Crank Bros.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Sweet bike IC. Damn I have to get my DHR build done. I'm way to picky when I build my own bikes. I'm already contemplating swapping out parts I've installed, but haven't even used yet. Can't decide if I want uber light, or reasonably durable.... :rant:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sweet bike IC. Damn I have to get my DHR build done. I'm way to picky when I build my own bikes. I'm already contemplating swapping out parts I've installed, but haven't even used yet. Can't decide if I want uber light, or reasonably durable.... :rant:
Dude, just find a healthy balance. The dhr is the utilitarian's race bike. Don't go too weenie or too burly. You know what to do....

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Traditionaly that's how I build my DH bikes. High quality DH parts that stand the test of time. But, these days customers expect to be WOWED when they see one of my personal bikes. I'm not thinking carbon rims and cranks, but I do have a lot of ti bolts and carbon bars. The only final decisions are between Saint cranks, shifter, & drlr or lighter parts like Descendants and XO. I'll get'r done today.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeesh scott, there's not one 'right' part over another. Anything you put on there will be top of the line expensive something.......and hence the billboard you're looking for. If someone comes into your shop and buys 250 dollar saint cranks, do you get pissed that they didn't buy 250 dollar truvativ cranks and then go and stare at your bike in the corner and shake your head at it?

Actually I can kind of picture you doing that :D

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Hahahahahaaaaa it's like you work at the shop with us! My weightweenieism has infected Scott. My 130lbs can take rash decisions about lightweight setups.

Hey Ian- sick bike. It's true after one ride the thought of gussets or shock bushings or top secret fender designs is long forgotton. One ride had me scheming about how to get on one. It's all Scott has spoken of since Interbike. Now i know why. It's got the ideal, dreamlike rising rate that feels plush but not too plush, and ramps up perfectly to resist bottoming. Combine that with DW link and Turner quality and i personally wouldn't consider another DH bike-money allowing.

Would you say the 11 R2C2 springrate is different than your 10 Team? Or did the Team just suffer from a sticky damper/first year issues?

So far we've found the 11's to be exceptional, better even than 10's with new dampers and tuned springrates. The 11 damper has better flowing pistons that allow for moare shims without getting spiky. The World Cup's updated air system is a lot better too.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Hahahahahaaaaa it's like you work at the shop with us! My weightweenieism has infected Scott. My 130lbs can take rash decisions about lightweight setups.

Hey Ian- sick bike. It's true after one ride the thought of gussets or shock bushings or top secret fender designs is long forgotton. One ride had me scheming about how to get on one. It's all Scott has spoken of since Interbike. Now i know why. It's got the ideal, dreamlike rising rate that feels plush but not too plush, and ramps up perfectly to resist bottoming. Combine that with DW link and Turner quality and i personally wouldn't consider another DH bike-money allowing.

Would you say the 11 R2C2 springrate is different than your 10 Team? Or did the Team just suffer from a sticky damper/first year issues?

So far we've found the 11's to be exceptional, better even than 10's with new dampers and tuned springrates. The 11 damper has better flowing pistons that allow for moare shims without getting spiky. The World Cup's updated air system is a lot better too.
last I heard that fender isn't going to come into fruition...bummer cause it looks super cool....

spring rate is definitely drastically different...it feels like a completely different fork overall, i don't know what they did exactly but they changed more than just the knobs....i'd be interested to try the newest revision of the WC, although i've yet to be sold on air suspension for DH....

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
The only final decisions are between Saint cranks, shifter, & drlr or lighter parts like Descendants and XO. I'll get'r done today.
Based on the testing we've done internally, if you've gotta pick between those two cranks, I'd steer towards the Saints. They may be heavier, but they're worth it for the strength vs. the Descendants (think: Gravity Lights).

--JP

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ian lives in socal and Krispy lives in utar.........why the fvck would a FENDER ever be an issue with your DOWNHILL bike?

It's like eye shadow. Sure you both probably look better with it but you can still walk around and function exactly the same without. It only matters on your facebook updates, not in real life. :D

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Ian lives in socal and Krispy lives in utar.........why the fvck would a FENDER ever be an issue with your DOWNHILL bike?

It's like eye shadow. Sure you both probably look better with it but you can still walk around and function exactly the same without. It only matters on your facebook updates, not in real life. :D
Hey NOW!

dude, i make a point to ride when it's raining! i'm from back east...i hate this parched desert crap! i wanna drift on loam, and wet roots, not sandy hardpack....i'm not really that concerned in all reality, and i'll probably cob something up if i'm riding in the nasty stuff, but the shock is pretty exposed, so covering it up isn't a bad idea..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey NOW!

dude, i make a point to ride when it's raining! i'm from back east...i hate this parched desert crap! i wanna drift on loam, and wet roots, not sandy hardpack....i'm not really that concerned in all reality, and i'll probably cob something up if i'm riding in the nasty stuff, but the shock is pretty exposed, so covering it up isn't a bad idea..
It's all good man, I'm just letting you know it'll be absolutely fine. ;)

I've ridden this frame in everything from the driest, gravely shlt, to peanut butter mud, to pissing rain sludge in the PNW. No fender and no problems. You're dialed as is. :thumb: This is far from the first dh bike to have the shock in firing line from the rear tire.

I can take pics of my shock shaft if you want.

^^^^^
I also just realized there is absolutely no way in hell that previous statement could ever be used outside the mtb community without getting all the wrong phone numbers.

Last edited:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Based on the testing we've done internally, if you've gotta pick between those two cranks, I'd steer towards the Saints. They may be heavier, but they're worth it for the strength vs. the Descendants (think: Gravity Lights).

--JP
Interesting. The Descedants are made from some pretty tough Alloy. A few years ago I had a set of Black Spires made from the same stuff and they were exceptionally tough. However, the Saints are mounted and look pretty damn sweet.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Interesting. The Descedants are made from some pretty tough Alloy. A few years ago I had a set of Black Spires made from the same stuff and they were exceptionally tough. However, the Saints are mounted and look pretty damn sweet.
I can't recall if they were failing at the arm or at the spindle (cranks were tested in horizontally opposed position with equal load on each pedal), but we were surprised ourselves by the results.

MTBAlex

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
Campbell, CA
Yikes. that's good to know. I just ordered the Saints from go-ride.

Saints are just bling by themselves. No other crankset looks just as good on a DH bike.