Quantcast

Piggybag or not - does it matter for DH

C_Mo

Chimp
Jul 15, 2003
Sofia, Bulgaria
Here is the question... my frame doesn't fit bigger shox with piggybag. I have to choose new shock and the options are Manitou Swinger 3-way (no piggybag) or X-Fusion Vector RPV (piggybag but smaller shock).

Performance wise does it really matter?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
X-Fusion what what?

anyways, yes it will make a difference most notably because you lose the extra adjustments and performance features depending on the model.

I would look into remote reservoir shocks instead (ie. the piggyback is connected via a hydro line and can be installed elsewhere on the frame), but it might help if you actually tell us what bike its being used on.

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
C_Mo said:
http://www.ram-bikes.com/img/content/dh1_big.jpg

This is the bike... the shock is 8.75" eye-to-eye. I tried fitting a Swinger 4-way but the reservoir will hit the frame during compression and if I put the reservoir on the frame side - it just will not fit.

What are your suggestions for remote reservoir shox in this price range?
Is the shock they show on the bike just for show then?

Also, are you asking in the price range of a Swinger 4way?

C_Mo

Chimp
Jul 15, 2003
Sofia, Bulgaria
@GravityFreakTJ

Check http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/

@Evel Monkey

The shock on the bike is the-never-heard-before brand X-Fusion ;)
... yes - in that price range.

@Dunshee80

If I go on the no reservoir way I will get the Swinger 3-way... but I am woried if a shock withot a reservoir will perform constantly during a run.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Oh and the temperature of the oil will affect the way it flows through stuff. It also depends on the quality of the oil used in the shock.
If you're worried look at the Romic shock.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
seismic said:
....but Romic s#cks !!!
ah come on... don't make statements like that...

romics offer a way better performance then the alternatives (X fusion and swinger 3 way)
and tthey are not expensive

i am with BMXman romic seems to be a good choice

Iiro

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
I think the 5th Element fits too, if the frame really is same as Azonic (or Oryx, or Cyclepro, or Muddyfox, or...).

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
UiUiUiUi said:
ah come on... don't make statements like that...

romics offer a way better performance then the alternatives (X fusion and swinger 3 way)
and tthey are not expensive

i am with BMXman romic seems to be a good choice
Sorry ! But I have had a Romic for 8 months...it blew 3 times !! That is un-acceptable IMO !! :mumble:

Brazil_boy

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Brazil_Texas
Well, I've known that frame for a while. And I know those frames have problems when it comes to fit shocks.
Well, the only shocks you can fit on the frame are: DNM BURNER, X-FUSION,and FOX.
Well, By far the best shock you can buy is the FOX. Buy a fox and PUSH it... it'll really make a huge diference. :)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zedro said:
have to be careful with that thing too....the spring is massive.
I'm 90% it won't fit because the front spring collar on that shock was really close to the frame. The El Jefe springs are too big.

I say stick with Fox. Dirt cheap, reliable, probably won't leak and you can get it fixed up later on. Romic is a gamble: if you beat the odds of it draining itself all over the place, your bike will feel fast.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ChrisRobin said:
I'm 90% it won't fit because the front spring collar on that shock was really close to the frame. The El Jefe springs are too big.

I say stick with Fox. Dirt cheap, reliable, probably won't leak and you can get it fixed up later on. Romic is a gamble: if you beat the odds of it draining itself all over the place, your bike will feel fast.

el jefe springs are a few mm`s wider than any other spring out there.

i also would recommend the RC.

then you try the new xfusion, i talked to a guy extremely knowledgeable in the taiwan way of things and he said the new xusions were a lot better than ever.
theres also the new manitou metel that might fit.

C_Mo

Chimp
Jul 15, 2003
Sofia, Bulgaria
I tried the Swinger - in the end of the compression stroke the spring collar and the reservoir hit the frame. Maybe the 5th will fit because of the shorter reservoir but the spring collar remains a problem... unless I file the frame a bit.

The 5th Remote maybe will fit. Looking at http://progressivesuspension.com/Images/shocks/5th-element-remote.jpg seems like it will fit on the frame side, but on the rear end side the spring diameter must be no more than 50mm... unless I put some shims to make it wider.

The RC will fit - the shock body is almost the same as the XFusion (and not a big difference on the inside...).

Thanks for the input.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
vitox said:
el jefe springs are a few mm`s wider than any other spring out there.

i also would recommend the RC.

then you try the new xfusion, i talked to a guy extremely knowledgeable in the taiwan way of things and he said the new xusions were a lot better than ever.
theres also the new manitou metel that might fit.
El Jefe shock with El Jefe spring doesn't fit at all in a Nucleon more than a few mm.

El Jefe shock with modified Avy spring does.

Maybe I got some weird spring.

WSUDirtrider

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
Montesano
I have a 5th on my Azonic with no problems at all. its a 9 inch eye to eye with a 3 inch stroke. and this is on the small frame. pm me if you want some pics