Quantcast

Pike race for DJing???

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
Okay, I want a sub 5 pound 20mmTA 32mm stanchion fork with 3.5-5" travel that will mostly be used at 4". It needs to be strong enough to dirt jump on, but will not be used for crazy hucks. It will be run mostly at Kenter Whoops. These are past forks I have tried & why they did not work for me:

03 DJ1 - felt great, THE most plush fork, but wayyyy too heavy.

04 Firefly Sherman - Travel adjust broke on small doubles & got stuck in 5" travel - if it came stock with 4" it would have been perfect. Strong otherwise, but much more stiction than the DJ, even with no SPV going on.

04 Talas - super light, best quality finish & materials of the rest, but feels flexy landing bigger stuff (mostly because it is QR). Not as progressive as the DJ1 (will quickly eat through most of it's travel). Definitely will keep for racing 4x though. The lightest fork I am willing to use on a track. Loskout threshold knob sets it up a a SPV type platform for 4X starts.

02 Psylo SL - my first fork. It sucked all around.

Which brings me to the Pike. If it is anything like the psylo, forget it. If RS has done a 180 and made a great quality fork that can take DJ abuse, then I am interested. Has anyone tried it for DJing rather than just trail riding? Price not an issue - i found one for $360.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Oly has one and it's feels way better than a Psylo. It is on my list too.
If money is an issue, you might try a used Z1 QR20. You can pick them up cheap and can be converted to 4" with a little "customizing"

The Z1 is a better fork than all the others you listed IMO

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I've been using an 05 Nixon elite, its 115mm, so its pretty close to 4", and it has 32mm stanchions. I am a bit concerned about the alum steer tube, and I have been thinking about selling it and getting a Stance Static (also cause I want to go to an 80mm fork) @ 4.3 lbs its very light, and with a heavier spring, its nice and stiff yet very smooth because of the internals.

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
scurban said:
I've been using an 05 Nixon elite, its 115mm, so its pretty close to 4", and it has 32mm stanchions. I am a bit concerned about the alum steer tube, and I have been thinking about selling it and getting a Stance Static (also cause I want to go to an 80mm fork) @ 4.3 lbs its very light, and with a heavier spring, its nice and stiff yet very smooth because of the internals.
The Stance Static is actually 5.8 lbs (from Manitou's website) A friend of mine just got one last night and said they are definitely not a super light fork, but not really heavy either.

I dont know anything about the Pike, but if past Rock Shox products are any indication, I would wait until next year sometime before getting one, get some feedback once people get some miles on them, see how many are exploding.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
dv8cam said:
Okay, I want a sub 5 pound 20mmTA 32mm stanchion fork with 3.5-5" travel that will mostly be used at 4". It needs to be strong enough to dirt jump on, but will not be used for crazy hucks. It will be run mostly at Kenter Whoops. These are past forks I have tried & why they did not work for me:

03 DJ1 - felt great, THE most plush fork, but wayyyy too heavy.

04 Firefly Sherman - Travel adjust broke on small doubles & got stuck in 5" travel - if it came stock with 4" it would have been perfect. Strong otherwise, but much more stiction than the DJ, even with no SPV going on.

04 Talas - super light, best quality finish & materials of the rest, but feels flexy landing bigger stuff (mostly because it is QR). Not as progressive as the DJ1 (will quickly eat through most of it's travel). Definitely will keep for racing 4x though. The lightest fork I am willing to use on a track. Loskout threshold knob sets it up a a SPV type platform for 4X starts.

02 Psylo SL - my first fork. It sucked all around.

Which brings me to the Pike. If it is anything like the psylo, forget it. If RS has done a 180 and made a great quality fork that can take DJ abuse, then I am interested. Has anyone tried it for DJing rather than just trail riding? Price not an issue - i found one for $360.
Out of all your choices here I would say that you should go with the Pike but I don't know if they are anything like the psylo but if they are then stay away. I have ridden the Pike and it felt pretty sweet but I perferred the Fox float.
The Talas, Travel adjusting LINEAR air fork, that's why it's linear feeling (and that's why I like the float because of it's progressiveness) is also an awesome fork. But if you can wait, the 36 is the way to go for sure, but again it is a Talas so if you're really against linear forks then you might not want this one either, but I think you could live with it cause it is such a bad ass fork. My vote is a Fox 36.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
FYI my pike Race was 5.5 lbs on the scale, and i recently weighed a Team out of the box and it was just a hair over 5lbs. This is uncut with axle, and stock springs.

I havent looked back since getting my pike. Its been really good so far. You can also tune them to be very stiuff, but not locked out with the flood gate deal.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Juano said:
Out of all your choices here I would say that you should go with the Pike but I don't know if they are anything like the psylo but if they are then stay away. I have ridden the Pike and it felt pretty sweet but I perferred the Fox float.
The Talas, Travel adjusting LINEAR air fork, that's why it's linear feeling (and that's why I like the float because of it's progressiveness) is also an awesome fork. But if you can wait, the 36 is the way to go for sure, but again it is a Talas so if you're really against linear forks then you might not want this one either, but I think you could live with it cause it is such a bad ass fork. My vote is a Fox 36.

I thought the "linear" just refers to the adjustability of the air spring......meaning the air chamber doesn't increase/decrease in pressure as you adjust the travel settings. There should be no difference between a talas set at 100mm and a float 100mm with the same air pressure. All air springs are progressive. I had a talas and it behaved the same way as my buddies float on his jump bike. Both felt like they ramped up similarly. Am I wrong on this?

If you know what you want your travel to be...80...100...130, the talas is a waste of money over the float anyway.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
kidwoo said:
I thought the "linear" just refers to the adjustability of the air spring......meaning the air chamber doesn't increase/decrease in pressure as you adjust the travel settings. There should be no difference between a talas set at 100mm and a float 100mm with the same air pressure. All air springs are progressive. I had a talas and it behaved the same way as my buddies float on his jump bike. Both felt like they ramped up similarly. Am I wrong on this?

If you know what you want your travel to be...80...100...130, the talas is a waste of money over the float anyway.
I was under the same exact impression. No difference between the float & talas except for adustable travel. And linear does refer to changing the travel without changing spring rate. And this the Talas does do well.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
buildyourown said:
Oly has one and it's feels way better than a Psylo. It is on my list too.
If money is an issue, you might try a used Z1 QR20. You can pick them up cheap and can be converted to 4" with a little "customizing"

The Z1 is a better fork than all the others you listed IMO
The Z1 is a good fork. Maybe 1/4 lb. less than a DJ1. Not as strong or progressive though. I have seen plenty of guys at Kenter bottom out their 4" z1s (can't miss that special crakc sound). I have never seen that with a DJ1, even when I was weighing 205 jumping 12 foot gaps. Z1 & DJ1 are great, but too much weight.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
oly said:
FYI my pike Race was 5.5 lbs on the scale, and i recently weighed a Team out of the box and it was just a hair over 5lbs. This is uncut with axle, and stock springs.

I havent looked back since getting my pike. Its been really good so far. You can also tune them to be very stiuff, but not locked out with the flood gate deal.
5.5 lbs? When are all these companies going to start reporting true wieghts? They advertise it as 5.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My next 2 forks will be a one of the cheap Reba's for my MTX and jump bike and a dual-air pike for my super-d/trail bike. I think that rockshox's chassis are probally the best out there, dual air is reliable and tunable, and motion control is fine by me. So far in my brief experience fiddling with, fondling and riding the new rockshox products i've been more than satisfied...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
redical said:
5.5 lbs? When are all these companies going to start reporting true wieghts? They advertise it as 5.
Thats why i got the race. On paper it was supposed to be sub 5, where my z1 that was being replaced was 5.38, so i was counting on a weight loss. In the end i maybe gained a few grams after cutting the steer tube down so it was a wash really.....