Quantcast

Pimplite Standard Issue for street? Impressions?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Saw these on sale...Pimp hub with Pimplite rim (little heaver than the other pimplite I think). Looking to use them for street - not DJ. They have a threaded hub for SS freewheel, which seems nice. I'm 185 - wondering if they're going to hold up or should I just get the Pimp and a SS conversion kit. Decision decisions!! Thanks

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Saw these on sale...Pimp hub with Pimplite rim (little heaver than the other pimplite I think). Looking to use them for street - not DJ. They have a threaded hub for SS freewheel, which seems nice. I'm 185 - wondering if they're going to hold up or should I just get the Pimp and a SS conversion kit. Decision decisions!! Thanks
in '08 i guess Atomlab called it the General Issue wheel. although it works well generally, the wheel's allen-bolt method of tightening the wheel down was kinda odd to me, coming from a bmx background. you have to tighten them down pretty well to make the wheel stay in place and with the smaller threading and bolt diameter you're wondering if you're going to strip it or snap the bolt with torque. i did strip one set of bolts a little bit but found replacements. several times i have let someone else ride my bike, they crank down hard and the wheel moves. that said, the wheel is light and has served me pretty well.

oh yeah, and if you do 30-14, i'm pretty sure you're going to want a half-link or half-link chain for that Mob. you can see my Shadow Conspiracy bmx half-link chain above. if i remember right, i tried a regular chain and it pulled the wheel too far foward, but when i added a full link, the axle was way in the back of the dropout. this is common in bmx frames these days--short travel dropouts that occasionally require half-link to get optimal axle placement.

you could bling it and go for a Profile mtb hub

http://profileracing.com/profileracing/estore2/index.php?productid=158

Last edited:

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Ah nice. Thanks. Dude - you're help all of my threads! Once I get this bike up, I'll give it a rest :) I just wasn't sure whether to get the pimp or pimplite rim. Only a difference of 100 grams. I can see what you mean about the half link

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
On the same Pimplite rims for over a year now and all I ride street and park. Honestly they are the best rims I have ever owned. No experience with the hubs, I went the Profile route...