Quantcast

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I start my daily ride about 7 miles down the river from the trailhead. Thus I ride about 15 min of pavement before I see any dirt... anyway I have been noticing a huge amount of pink cruiser bikes on the paved riverside trail, with guys and girls alike riding them.

Yesterday I investigated and this is what I found... huge racks of identical pink bikes for rent. I had no idea we had a borrow a bike program. Awesome. But why pink?!

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Average of 23mph??? Prove it.
23mph is not hard to achieve or maintain on a proper xc bike piloted by a fit cyclist on flat pavement. I finish out the last 10 minute stretch of pavement on the local weekly mtb ride at 22.6-23mph. Sustaining that pace for 15 minutes is totally concievable in my mind. If his diet were bacon and beer though (which I don't know), then I'd lean more towards his computer needing calibration. :p

Hmm... I wonder how you handle liability and theft risks with a business like this.
I heard they run a similar deal in Montreal. You pay with a credit/debit card and recieve a ticket. You scan the bike in/out with a ticket associated with your card number. Bike never checks back in, credit card charged. I'd hate to be the guy who maintained the fleets though.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
That's my average speed... don't be mad :p

It is flat pavement by the way, the trail runs along the river, hence no hills.

Beyond that after I maintain that pace I then do a 1.5 hour XC ride. Before returning home at a slightly easier pace. Including on some days, climbing intervals on this fireroad... I use the same road so I can track my progress. I can do this about 6 times before I get near my max HR.

You are looking at the first half of the climb, there is an identical climb just about 100 yards past the top of this to the left. Looks and feels steeper in person. Funny how photos always make climbs look easier.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
23mph is not hard to achieve or maintain on a proper xc bike piloted by a fit cyclist on flat pavement. I finish out the last 10 minute stretch of pavement on the local weekly mtb ride at 22.6-23mph. Sustaining that pace for 15 minutes is totally concievable in my mind. If his diet were bacon and beer though (which I don't know), then I'd lean more towards his computer needing calibration. :p

I heard they run a similar deal in Montreal. You pay with a credit/debit card and recieve a ticket. You scan the bike in/out with a ticket associated with your card number. Bike never checks back in, credit card charged. I'd hate to be the guy who maintained the fleets though.
My thoughts exactly... it's not like I'm killing myself maintaining that pace. It's quite fun when I tag onto a bunch of roadie wannabes and they are huffing and puffing trying to drop me though... always a good time :)

I do love both beer and bacon though... but I'm pretty tall so I need to watch it. If I get over 170 I start to really feel the difference. Therefore I stick to bourbon, low calorie :D

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not one to talk, but I have been amazed at how much faster I am since losing 75 pounds this year. Shocker, I know.

<edit>
There was a borrow bike program here and all the bikes were painted yellow with a rattle can including wheels and tires, yet they still managed to disapear. Some people will steal anything.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I did a points race of 20 laps at the "Mellowdrome" in Asheville. Converted stock car oval. I hid in the back in C class and averaged 32mph. That was scary and I can't imagine the wattage the monsters on the front were pulling.

I used to commute on pavement on my XC with a pair of semi-slicks and averaged around 24. Never could crack 25. I'm about 5 years removed from that fitness..and I was still a chump compared to the lycra legion.