Quantcast

Pink Surly Cancer Donation

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
SPEEDGOAT said:
How much money is The Breast Cancer Fund getting?
ALL of the proceeds from this raffle are going to The Breast Cancer Fund. Speedgoat is not making any money on this auction. Our expenses (coordination, parts, labor, shipping, etc.) are our donation.
Now that is a classy move...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
this is so much better than chris king making pink headsets and donating $.000000000000000000000000000000034 :rolleyes:

:thumb: to speedgoat

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
How come all of this stuff lately is for breast cancer? I mean its good that they are giving to charity but why does everyone pick breast cancer?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
manhattanprjkt83 said:
this is so much better than chris king making pink headsets and donating $.000000000000000000000000000000034 :rolleyes:

:thumb: to speedgoat

Ya, go CK..... Actually they donated $1 for every pink headset sold. Big deal. I agree. I really like CK but man they are really getting on my nerves. I waited 7 months for BLACK hubs now Im waiting again for a rebuild tool and they're telling me another 6 months. Then I read about their $1 donation for pink headsets. Give me a break. I wonder how many pink headsets they actually sold. At the prices they sell their stuff for you would think they would donate a little more.

Nice Surly.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
stoney98 said:
cause everyone has a mom, sister, best friend, girlfriend, grandmother, etc.
Also, because it has only become prevelant as of late. Sometimes I wish we could move back to a simpler lifestyle of fresh foods, less addetives, more physical activity, etc. But then again, that would require Americans to not be lazy.
I think I'm going to move. I need to learn a new language. Spain was nice!
And everyone has a brother, father, best friend, grandfather etc.

Don't want to rain in on your party, as i think research into treating cancer is important but........

>3900 women die of breast cancer in the US yearly, with a population of 295mill, approx half of which are women thats 1 in 33000 approximently (http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/nbccedp/about2004.htm#facts)
>approximently 35men per 100000 die of prostate cancer in the US (http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/prostate/prostate.htm)

Thats 10 times as many men dying from this form of cancer then women. 10 TIMES!!!!

Where is the fund raising or awarness for us? The majority of funding for any cancer research or testing goes to breast or ovarian cancer. Don't want to sound nasty, but we already die on average 10 years earlier then women, so why aren't we getting the bigger peice of the cancer research/funding/awarness pie to extend out lives?????????

Are we going to see a blue surly go under the hammer for us men with blue chris king hubs, seat and grips. I think not :nopity:

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Pfft, that's sexist CD! How dare you highlight such a thing!
Heh, a current promotion getting media attention is the "Be a man, talk to your doctor about prostate cancer".
Which I read as "real men get a lubricated finger stuck in their rectum" :help:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Rik said:
Pfft, that's sexist CD! How dare you highlight such a thing!
Heh, a current promotion getting media attention is the "Be a man, talk to your doctor about prostate cancer".
Which I read as "real men get a lubricated finger stuck in their rectum" :help:
Hey man, im not sexist, i a maninist (opposite of feminist :D )

Thats the problem with prostate cancer. If we got the funding that women got im sure they could develop a "less" invasive method of testing that didn't involve ky and a doctor :mad:

Aug 11, 2003
Cave Dweller said:
Hey man, im not sexist, i a maninist (opposite of feminist :D )

Thats the problem with prostate cancer. If we got the funding that women got im sure they could develop a "less" invasive method of testing that didn't involve ky and a doctor :mad:
Actually there exists a very non-invasive early screening test for prostate cancer. It is called the PSA (prostate-specific antigen) test. They look for this specific marker in the blood. Under normal conditions the prostate produces low levels of PSA. However there is an association between elevated PSA levels and onset of prostate cancer. High levels of PSA may also indicate a number of other non-cancerous problems with the prostate.

Simon

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Cave Dweller said:
And everyone has a brother, father, best friend, grandfather etc.

Don't want to rain in on your party, as i think research into treating cancer is important but........

>3900 women die of breast cancer in the US yearly, with a population of 295mill, approx half of which are women thats 1 in 33000 approximently (http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/nbccedp/about2004.htm#facts)
>approximently 35men per 100000 die of prostate cancer in the US (http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/prostate/prostate.htm)

Thats 10 times as many men dying from this form of cancer then women. 10 TIMES!!!!

Where is the fund raising or awarness for us? The majority of funding for any cancer research or testing goes to breast or ovarian cancer. Don't want to sound nasty, but we already die on average 10 years earlier then women, so why aren't we getting the bigger peice of the cancer research/funding/awarness pie to extend out lives?????????
Apparently not being able to read simple figures is also a rampant problem...

The number of women that died from breast cancer in 2004 is over 40,000. Only lung cancer claims more. Over 200,000 women were diagnosised with invasive breast cancer in 2004. Only skin cancer is more common.

The number of men that died of prostate cancer in 2004 is under 30,000. The number of men diagnosised with is about the same at a little over 200,000.

So your 10 times is crap.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so have any of y'all donated prior to this chance of receiving an award?

i have wondered about the recent breast cancer trend, also. maybe they're benefitting from the whole pink trend right now. pink ribbons have always been for breast cancer support, yes?

Kanter, waiting 7 months for hubs that will last a lifetime seems reasonable to me. there are many other options out there for less wait-time. and the hub tool...if you need that in 6 months, there is something wrong.

Apr 1, 2002
NY
i gots me one! :thumb: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Let's not forget that King DONATED the headset and hubs for this bicycle giveaway!

Although Prostate cancer kills more men most of them are older I think whereas breast cancer typically strikes middle-aged women. I've heard that upwards of 90% of elderly males who die of natural causes, if autopsied have prostate cancer on some level so with the human life expectancy going up I think we just opened up the door for prostate cancer to kill more people who would have already been dead. I am in no way saying that one cancer takes priority though, I think fighting all cancers is very important...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
RideND said:
How come all of this stuff lately is for breast cancer? I mean its good that they are giving to charity but why does everyone pick breast cancer?
Because boobs are cool!

Instead of asking why OTHER people are focusing on breast cancer maybe you should donate some cash to the groups fighting prostate and testicular cancer without the expectation of a possible reward. And to answer the question I know you'll ask... Yes, I do donate both time and money to charities that I feel are worthy. I would love to give to all but I don't have those resources. We do the best we can with what we have. Sure Chris King could have donated more, but they didn't have to donate at all. Yet they did. Hey maybe next year they will do yellow hubs and headsets for testicular cancer! :p

And to the guy who wants an easier cancer test for men: Dude, have you seen a woman undergo a mammogram? They get their boobs SQUISHED. My GF hates them but has them because they are important. Ouch!