Quantcast

Pisgah Grandfather District's future

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
If you like riding the trails in the Wilson Creek area of Pisgah, check this out. If not, still check this out. A few motivated individuals in Boone are working with the Forest Service and others to create a way of managing and maintaining the trails that we all love.

http://rockyknob.wordpress.com/

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
I really wanted to make that meeting but had a funeral to go to. hopefully things work out for the best

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
I think it's probably a good thing but I hope we don't lose a bunch of trails.
Any chance of a legitimate, correctly built, freeride trail in the forest?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I think it's probably a good thing but I hope we don't lose a bunch of trails.
Any chance of a legitimate, correctly built, freeride trail in the forest?
This is the first step to something like that. With biker's current relationship with the forest service in that district, we aren't even in a position to ASK for a trail like that.

This relationship will be a good thing for bikers, but it will take time to see real benefits. I think it could give riders an opportunity to adopt some of the semilegal trails up there and volunteer to maintain them in exchange for legitimacy. Some of those trails are pretty much beyond repair at this point though, as the article implies.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Freeride as in: 20 mile singletrack flow. IMO wood structures aren't the Pisgah style. I would love to be able to haul tools out to these trails and legally dig and improve.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Great work. It would be big step if the trail status could be clarified and then subsequently supported.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I'll keep dreaming for a trail like that in NC.
Yeah don't we all, What ever powers that keep it from happening must be super strong like BAM!
There was alot of work done on Headley? the trail that ran down the side of 181, if they could keep that and improve on it.......it would be close to a freeride trail.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah don't we all, What ever powers that keep it from happening must be super strong like BAM!
There was alot of work done on Headley? the trail that ran down the side of 181, if they could keep that and improve on it.......it would be close to a freeride trail.
It sounds like their first step is to officially acknowledge that there are more trails in the forest than they have on the map, then define those trails by how they are getting used. Then establish a "system" of trails around the 181 corridor that a lot of people come to ride and- gasp- maybe even add some signage. That in itself would be a huge step.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It sounds like their first step is to officially acknowledge that there are more trails in the forest than they have on the map, then define those trails by how they are getting used. Then establish a "system" of trails around the 181 corridor that a lot of people come to ride and- gasp- maybe even add some signage. That in itself would be a huge step.
Don't you know someone that "works" for the FS and has the responisbility for mapping some of those trails? :p I mean really just put them on the map, who would know?