Quantcast

Piston issue on Hope V2 Brakes

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I seem to have and issue with the rear caliper on my Hope V2 brakes. One piston, the outer one, is not coming out straight in it's bore. It has caused uneven pad wear on two sets of pads now. (the original pads and the second set I put on) It is like the leading edge of the piston is coming out further than the trailing side. I have cleaned the caliper and pistons, pushed them in straight. After a short time of using the brakes, the piston starts coming out of the bore crooked again.

I do not know what to do to fix this. I am talking with CS, but I am not getting too far with them yet.

-Brett

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I did just replace my brake adapter to make sure it was not bent causing an issue. I wouldn't think my rear triangle/tabs would be bent on my 2011 Demo as I do not see any major gouges/scrapes on it.

-Brett

Nov 27, 2012
i seem to have and issue with the rear caliper on my hope v2 brakes. One piston, the outer one, is not coming out straight in it's bore. It has caused uneven pad wear on two sets of pads now. (the original pads and the second set i put on) it is like the leading edge of the piston is coming out further than the trailing side. I have cleaned the caliper and pistons, pushed them in straight. After a short time of using the brakes, the piston starts coming out of the bore crooked again.

I do not know what to do to fix this. I am talking with cs, but i am not getting too far with them yet.

-brett

it would be risky if i advice you the better would be to move to a good mechanic for this problem

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They are just crap brakes(or not lubed when assembled), had two sets the same piston always seizes or moves abnormally. They are also very touchy if you don't have perfect caliper/disc alignment, I can't run them on my hardtail as the the tabs on the frame won't even line up with a facing tool, my old Magura's work fine though.

Best thing to do is get new seals and check the pistons for wear of they are scored of polished on one side get new ones.

The biggest thing when putting them back together is use some good caliper grease, I use STA caliper grease and the difference between using it and rubber grease is amazing.

Last edited: