Quantcast

Pivotelation

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Finally got my Macneil post in. Now my SL has a home... And the Riot is finally finished. Just in time for spring DJ.

Looks prime. Please put that seat down though, thats the main reason Pivotal seats and posts were invented, for SLAMMING!

Maybe a hydro brake? Juicy 7 or Ultimate would top it off perfectly. What are the cranks? Profiles or Wombolts? I can't quite tell... Spec list?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Looks prime. Please put that seat down though, thats the main reason Pivotal seats and posts were invented, for SLAMMING!
He might not be able to. My MacNeil post wouldn't slam because it's wider near the top. So, I switched it up to an Animal post for maximum slamitude.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
There was a whole discussion with him and his prior post to where it was at - and he likes it where it's set. He makes a point - its impossible to even ATTEMPT to sit and pedal with the seat slammed on most of these bikes.

Looks sick bro - ride 'er hard!

He might not be able to. My MacNeil post wouldn't slam because it's wider near the top. So, I switched it up to an Animal post for maximum slamitude.
Yes I understand that but he's got about 3" of post showing there, my seat post isn't even that long! I have a Macneil the same as DirtBag's and its slammed as much as it can:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199323

Anyway, great bike! My mate has one with very similar spec to yours, they ride very nice.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
A-Grove nailed it. I like the seat where it is for 2 reasons. 1. I like to actually pedal while sitting and 2. I like it there for balance while jumping. The seat just feels natural at that position. I put it where the last seat was. I haven't ridden it yet so I may move it slightly.

In reality I wanted the pivotal so I could get the lightest seat/post combo. I don't care to slam it down - in fact I think it looks worse on a 26" bike. To each their own...

For brakes I purposely went manual. I had a hydro on it and did not care for it. There is no better manual than a BB7 with SD7 lever. It is simply the grabbiest manual combo.

As is it weighs 28.25 lbs even. I have Schwalbe table tops and when those are on it comes to 27.5.

Cranks are Shadow Torrids.

Here is the spec list:

08' Riot - 21.5" tt, horizontal drops
RockShox Argyle 318 - lowered to 80mm
Shadow Conspiracy Torrid cranks, 175mm
Woodman Bill SS rear hub, 36h, laced to Mavic EX721, DT spokes
Woodman Bill LTi front, 36h, laced to Mavic EX721, DT spokes
Deity bar, 31.8mm
Tree splined 24t chainring, 1/8”
'We the people' integrated headset, 1-1/8”
Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium pedals
Thomson stem, 50mm, 31.8mm
Macneil pivotal post, 27.2mm
Macneil SL saddle
BB7 manual brake caliper
Avid Speed Dial 7 lever
KMC 710 SL chain
Profile euro bb
12t Mosh 1/8" cog
Surly clamp
Shadow Conspiracy white cable
Kenda K-Rad tires, 26 x 2.25”
ODI lock-on BMX grips

Bosco - 55lb Pitt, fawn with black muzzle. Chillin'.

Thanks for the props. One thing I am proud of is that everything is black, white or sliver/chrome. Well except the red knobs on the brakes, the blue knob on the fork and yellow on the rims and tires. Stickers are coming off the rims and with the TT tires, all is complete..

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
There are plenty of reasons to NOT slam your seat.
Seated pedaling
Being able to sit down and roll endless fakies
Being able to pinch the seat for no-handed tricks
No-footed manuals
etc.
But hey, whatever floats your boat.... :D

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
A clean ride you got there. hows the gearing with that 24t sprocket? Ive been running a 25-12 for a long time on my ss, and I just ordered a 26t to raise the gearing a lil bit so I won't max out so easily.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
That's no attitude to take. The cool kids are never gonna let you hang with them.

There are plenty of reasons to NOT slam your seat.
Seated pedaling
Being able to sit down and roll endless fakies
Being able to pinch the seat for no-handed tricks
No-footed manuals
etc.
But hey, whatever floats your boat.... :D

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Hmm. RIT dye. May be a good idea for the red knobs.

The cool kids let me ride with them with my seat up. They think it goes well with my over 30 age and non girl-pant clothes.

antm

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
miami, fl
You might give the RIT Dye a shot on the red parts of the avid calipers. Ive used to to dye all kinds of things black.
Ahh, that's it! Ive been thinking about dyeing my snow camo funn seat black. Looks like I'll be trying that tonight.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
can I ask a stupid question, what is "pwned"?
Silly internet slang for "owned" but to a higher degree (something to do with how close the "p" is to the "o" on the keyboard). The Urban Dictionary will keep you hip to all the fresh lingo home skillet. :monkeydance:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Bike looks killer! who cares about where you have the seat, I always catch sh!t from the guys I ride with cause I have the seat on my DH bike even with the bars, it's all personal preference.

the macneil post only works with macneil seats correct? I have a predicament, I have a pivotal seat I want to run on a DS bike, but it's not a macneil and macneil is the only company(that I know of) that makes a pivotal for my seat tube diameter.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
man you still weren't done with your riot? lol My Mayan Riot was done first go. Nice seat/seat post choice. I have the brown leather capital. Those macneil posts are so light you don't even have to cut them. but that might go for all pivotal posts.

Question: How long is the spindle for the torrid cranks? im running odyssey 41 thermals and the cranks are juuuuuust barely missing the chainstays.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
MattMatt86 -
There are a bunch of other manufacturers that also make pivotal seats - Fly, Kink ect. There are also a number of pivotal post makers, but all of them only make the 25.4mm (or whatever BMX standard is). Macneil is the only one I know of in real MTB sizing. They do 30.9 which is what my 2 DH bikes are so I may invest in 2 more pivotal set-ups. The posts and seats on my DH are like over 2 lbs so the pivotal would save a ton.

I did cut my pivotal to pull another 70g or so. Since I don't need it I just took it off.

Xtremedoritoes -
I was done but I wanted the macneil set-up but could not find anyone in stock. I ordered a Ceneca and they shipped the Macneil instead so I was psyched. I know that they are the same thing just rebadged, but I like the Macneil combo.

I have had a monster of a time getting the cranks just right. The Profile BB I purchased was like 10 years old and had no spacers. It took 3 tries to get the correct spacer and set-up. On top of that I had 3 different chainrings so I was constantly changing the spacing.

Then I tried a Profile Ti spindle and it did not fit the arms of the Torrids. There is a post about it on here, so I don't care to relive that experience. Then I tried Macneil Conjoined cranks and they ended up hurting my knees. So in the end I sold the Conjoined and the Ti spindle and put back on the Torrids. Long answer but the spindle is 5.75".

I have the tightest set-up where the arms are a few mm away from the frame and are far enough away that I don't flex them into the frame. And I have the Tree splined literally 2-3 mm away from the frame. Basically as tight of a fit as you can safely get. That way I have maximum spindle to crank interface. There seems to be no manufacturers that make an aftermarket spindle in Ti in a 5.75". All are 5.5". Except Profile which won't work.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Bike looks killer! who cares about where you have the seat, I always catch sh!t from the guys I ride with cause I have the seat on my DH bike even with the bars, it's all personal preference.

the macneil post only works with macneil seats correct? I have a predicament, I have a pivotal seat I want to run on a DS bike, but it's not a macneil and macneil is the only company(that I know of) that makes a pivotal for my seat tube diameter.
shim it up. cane creek makes a sick shim in every size. black too.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I gotta check. I thought the bulge was above the "Macneil" logo on mine. Could be wrong. But then again I don't care as I don't put it that low...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
lookin' flashy! Just about dialed now huh? very cool.
So much for having the matching post and stem huh?

oh yeah, Macneil seats don't only work with macneil posts, they are compatible with ALL "pivotal" posts/seat combos. And not all are relabeled from the same factory. I believe some have slightly different quality differences between brands, which is a bit odd...
As far as I know Fly doesn't make a pivotal either like was mentioned above, but others do, like FBM, Season, Redline, Duo, ABC, etc... But like you said, as far as I know, Macneil is the only one to go oversize on the posts. I've got a 30.9 on my SplinterMX.

Edit, DirtBag, there are two different "bulges" on some of the macneil posts... yours looks like an OG (is it 1" or 27.2?). The OS versions have a bulge that is just below the logo, like they are almost forcing their advertisement on your bike, preventing slammage, but on the OG 1" posts, it's just like a flare towards the top above the logo...

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Satori - Nice memory on the "matching stem/post"... Yes I broke my trend. But for a worthy reason...

I have the 27.2. I gotta check when I get home on the bulge location, just for curiousity.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
The OS versions have a bulge that is just below the logo, like they are almost forcing their advertisement on your bike, preventing slammage,
That's what I had, I hated that thing... so now I'm slammin' with the Animal post. Well, as slammed as it can get without the seat hitting the tire. Bikes look better and are just as functional with seats that are slammed or close to slammed... I don't care what you too cool to care what is cool kids say. :biggrin:

That bike is still dope, though.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
they were invented as a way to save weight. just because you are a trendy dork who sets up his bike based on what others may think about it, don't force feed us your mindless bull****...
They were invented to eliminate poor seat hardware and seat rails that bend and pull out of the seat. The weight savings was a bonus to the design.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i like both. rail seats are a lil better because u can further dial in your seat by moving it forward and back on the rails.

my 20 has pivotal, 24/26 has rails. i was entertaining the idea of going pivotal on my bottlerocket.....

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
hey quick question. Your gearing. You're running a 24 up front. what about the back? Your chain looks like its the perfect tension.

I currently have a 25 up front and an odyssey 12t cog in the back with a half link chain, and wheel slammed but its as loose as a 70 yr old woman's vajayjay.

Buuuut It's not loose enough to take out just one link either. then it would be too tight. It's a pain in the ass. I don't want to get the Derailure hanger and get some surley single speed thing which was recommended by a trials rider i ride with.

Does anyone know of any bmx style chain tensioners (as in those that dont need the derailure hanger) that would fit the incredibly small riot dropouts and fit the 10mm axle? I have the DMR revolver hub with the hex bolts.

Thanks!

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I currently have a 25 up front and an odyssey 12t cog in the back with a half link chain, and wheel slammed but its as loose as a 70 yr old woman's vajayjay.

Buuuut It's not loose enough to take out just one link either. then it would be too tight. It's a pain in the ass. I don't want to get the Derailure hanger and get some surley single speed thing which was recommended by a trials rider i ride with.
How about you pull your wheel back 0.1" and fix the whole problem for free?!

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
How about you pull your wheel back 0.1" and fix the whole problem for free?!
cause everytime i fufanu or land fakie the wheel slams itself?????

I tried putting crap inside between the axle and the dropout but it falls out. So I'm just trying to find a chain tensioner like I did for my old bmx