Quantcast

PJ Post Descends 34,000 Feet At Diablo Freeride Park

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
This past weekend, Diablo Freeride Park Team Rider PJ Post set a single-day vertical descent record by completing 33 complete runs at Diablo Freeride Park for a total of 34,320 feet descended within a seven hour period.

"This is something I've been wanting to do for a very long time", said PJ Post. "The fast gondola in conjunction with a variety of fun trails made Diablo the perfect venue to pull this off."

Video documentary by George Ryan: http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=1181928168&channel=1155217098

STATISTICS
Total # of runs: 33
Average runs / hour: 4.7
Vertical descent per run (ft): 1,040

Average vertical descent / hour (ft): 4,903
Average miles / run: 1.6
Average miles / hour: 18.37 mph

Total linear miles descended: 52.8
Total vertical descent (ft): 34,320

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Rider PJ Post set a single-day vertical descent record by completing 33 complete runs at Diablo Freeride Park for a total of 34,320 feet descended within a seven hour period.
Is that a record at Diablo, or like a world record? :shocked: Congrats either way.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Just out of curiosity, is this a running record at diablo, or just something someone decided to try? Just for my own satisfaction, how long does it take for the gondola to get from bottom to top, Last time I was a Diablo I traveled to the left of the lift down though god no what trails and ended up at the bottom in just under 5 minutes (I was trying to beat shutdown time for the lifts to find out they shut them down a few minutes early anyways), So, if rumor is correct that you can travel from bottom to top on gondola in 6 minutes plus 1 minute wait time in line that puts you at a solid 5 runs per hour over 7 hours puts in a solid 35 runs, this sounds like something I would like to try and accomplish, do you think that a free lift pass would come out of the deal if it was accomplished to beat the current record? and can we take all the fun trails or do we have to stick to specific trails?

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Just out of curiosity, is this a running record at diablo, or just something someone decided to try? Just for my own satisfaction, how long does it take for the gondola to get from bottom to top, Last time I was a Diablo I traveled to the left of the lift down though god no what trails and ended up at the bottom in just under 5 minutes (I was trying to beat shutdown time for the lifts to find out they shut them down a few minutes early anyways), So, if rumor is correct that you can travel from bottom to top on gondola in 6 minutes plus 1 minute wait time in line that puts you at a solid 5 runs per hour over 7 hours puts in a solid 35 runs, this sounds like something I would like to try and accomplish, do you think that a free lift pass would come out of the deal if it was accomplished to beat the current record? and can we take all the fun trails or do we have to stick to specific trails?

I think this falls into the humor category moreso than the competition record field. No doubt it's an impressive challenge, but I think that it's another one of those Mini Mac type deals; if the staff isn't having fun, it's hard for the rest of the riders to do the same. With a place like Diablo, even the guys calling the shots can't take themselves too seriously...

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
Cool, nice job! Glad I got to witness this incredible work in progress.
I can't believe they antiqued him at the end though.
And I look forward to having a bowl of PJ Puffs real soon.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Mini Mac said he was going to try this last year, and I think he got lost on the way down... I haven't seen him since then.
Mini Mac isn't lost - I hear he hangs at this bar in Vernon from time to time... :biggrin:

I think Mini Mac needs to bust out his lucky Speedo and show PJ the Eye of the Tiger.

...then he should try and beat him in this vertical descent record. :biggrin:

On a personal note: This is the most homo-erotic thing I've ever written... The record was set here, today, on RideMonkey.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
This just dawned on me, my son and I went down this past sunday, both equipped with brand new tires, him with new Nevegals and me brand new mobsters, After one day 15 runs my son's rear tires is 75% gone, After one day and 20 runs mine is 50% gone. Just out of curiosity how many times did he have to change his rear tire? Did my son and I go through alot of tire because we stuck primarily on the Rocky trails? I kept my son off of alpine as much as possible to limit traffic jams, but if less rock trails and more flow trails were substituted would there be a substantially less amount of tire wear or is this just diablo in general to eat tires like this? I'm not trying to sound ignorant (even though I am) but I race year round and I've never had this much tire wear in one day before, is diablo known for this? What kind of tire do locals run, I usually run Maxxis High Rollers, the Mobsters were on sale though, this is the first time i've run them maybe it was just the tires.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
This just dawned on me, my son and I went down this past sunday, both equipped with brand new tires, him with new Nevegals and me brand new mobsters, After one day 15 runs my son's rear tires is 75% gone, After one day and 20 runs mine is 50% gone. Just out of curiosity how many times did he have to change his rear tire? Did my son and I go through alot of tire because we stuck primarily on the Rocky trails? I kept my son off of alpine as much as possible to limit traffic jams, but if less rock trails and more flow trails were substituted would there be a substantially less amount of tire wear or is this just diablo in general to eat tires like this? I'm not trying to sound ignorant (even though I am) but I race year round and I've never had this much tire wear in one day before, is diablo known for this? What kind of tire do locals run, I usually run Maxxis High Rollers, the Mobsters were on sale though, this is the first time i've run them maybe it was just the tires.
Those Mobsters are garbage. Ryan (Timekiller) bought them on sale too, and on their first day of riding all the little nubs on the outside of the tire were starting to split and rip off.

I don't know what the story is with you and your boy though. My crew runs with High Rollers and Nevegals, and they seem to last a long long time. My HRs are getting near a year old, and have made dozens of trips down the mountain as well as miles of XC riding.

Unless you guys were skidding a lot, I can't see how a tire can wear 75% in 25 miles...

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
I'm not trying to sound ignorant (even though I am) but I race year round and I've never had this much tire wear in one day before, is diablo known for this?
You race downhill year round? Why werent you at Platty this weekend, or any of the Diablo races?

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
I'm running High rollers on my bike now. The front one has made at least 12 trips and the rear about 10 to diablo and both still has plenty of meat left on them. What psi were in the tires you were running?

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
As I had stated about the High Rollers, those are the tires that I usually run and have never had problems with them, This is the first time I have tried the mobsters. As for my son he may have been skidding alot, he is new to those types of rocks and at 9 he's a little shy about getting too much speed, and when he does get speed it usually results in skidding to slow down. As far as not being at any of the Diablo races. I primarily run endurance XC events so I usually schedule my downhill races at events that hold both XC and DH races in the same weekend. Needless to say it doesn't lead me to too many Diablo races. and as for Plattykill, I have yet to resign back up for norba. I have been racing for years and a few years ago Norba became kinda a dictatorship and cause a lot of bad feelings with a lot of us racers. I have heard they have come under new management and are a lot better now, I think next year I will resign with Norba and attend some Platty races, as far as Diablo, I'm definitely rethinking my primary racing into downhill and Diablo is at the top of my list to do next year, I've just gotta discuss it with my sponsors as to what my primary discipline will be. But thanks for the tire info. by the way I was running 30 psi and my son was running 35 psi (minimum listed pressures in both tires) I've never seen an advantage to running 20-25 psi like a lot of people claim, then again I don't race downhill at Diablo like you guys do, maybe your onto something.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Yup I have the sale mobsters (super soft compund) Im running ~18-22 psi. front and ~20-25 psi rear. I def. did not wear 75% of the tire yet, and I have about 4 or 5 trips on them to diablo. I love the tires, but they are def. wearing too fast.

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
Back on topic - Just a few things I noticed on the video.

It appears he cut in line at 9am.
The lift is NEVER open at 3:59pm.
You definetly need a support crew to accomplish this feat. A mechanic for flats or whatever. And a pizza delivery guy...

I have done 26 runs in one day without any special treatment. My average is 23.

G30RG3ryan

Monkey
Feb 24, 2002
Sparta, NJ
He didn't "cut", people were supportive of his cause and let him through. The lift is open at 3:59, he barely made it down in time to do his 33rd run. And luckily PJ's bike was running hella awesome and didn't need any work all day. Drinks and food were brought to PJ at the lift all day so he was set to go.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
Well... it can't be beat. Aside from that, there is nothing stopping anyone from trying, except the guaranteed failure factor.

Apr 18, 2007
Back on topic - Just a few things I noticed on the video.

It appears he cut in line at 9am.
The lift is NEVER open at 3:59pm.
You definetly need a support crew to accomplish this feat. A mechanic for flats or whatever. And a pizza delivery guy...

I have done 26 runs in one day without any special treatment. My average is 23.
I call BS. if he sneaked in the line then the record can't stand. what a crock of ****. you need someone there to take photos of it to validate things.

bah

Polish Rambo

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
why is everyone making such a big deal over supposed rules? i never saw a post stating what ANY RIDER had to do to attempt the record...
bring a mechanic, have someone deliver pizza to you, tell the people in line what you are doing and they will probably let you up front, especially on a week day... and I wish you the best of luck in your attempt. PJ is a very talented rider and he had some luck on his side.

as for the lift not being open at 3:59... bull****. I worked the rental shop last summer and we would get rentals back at 4:25-4:30. the lift attendant up top rides the lift down, and its a 6-7min ride down. Anyhow, Diablo doesn't operate the lift, Mountain Creek does.

PS- if you watched the video, you would realize the humorous tones

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
There was no "special" treatment given. If there was a line, PJ waited on it....If other riders opted to let him go in front of them, that's their perogative. There was no intentional "sneaking" or "cutting" of lift lines. It appears that there are a select few individuals trying to discredit a great accomplishment that they clearly can't match.

Great job PJ! Record stands!

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
Not trying to discredit at all. Great accomplishment. Just trying to be fair if someone else wants to try and beat it....

Humorous tones acknowledged.

And nothing better than laying down a challenge to everyone else.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
Not trying to discredit at all. Great accomplishment. Just trying to be fair if someone else wants to try and beat it....

Humorous tones acknowledged.

And nothing better than laying down a challenge to everyone else.
exactly...but it just seems like no one would acknowledge it if it was to happen to someone else. but im sure the ones who are posting are friends of this cat and dont want to see it attempted

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
everyone at the park was having fun with the whole thing. the video captures the nature of the day perfectly. guys that are focused on the "record"...you just don't get it.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
while i agree with that it was having fun and a cool record. He does have an advantage over other people, i had the same thing when i was little in my towns memorial day parade, my float somehow always got top 3. maybe it had something to do with my dad running the parade. but cool record if i wasn't such a lazy bum i'd try it.

G-RockMurray

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
so i tried on sunday but fell just short :disgust: my down fall was needing a new roter stoping for ice cream (3 times) and taking a 20 min nap.....on top of stopping to talk to people so my total was 10 runs falling just 23 shy of a tie :clapping:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
so i tried on sunday but fell just short :disgust: my down fall was needing a new roter stoping for ice cream (3 times) and taking a 20 min nap.....on top of stopping to talk to people so my total was 10 runs falling just 23 shy of a tie :clapping:
Capital effort. Props for the 3 ice cream stops. 2 is my record.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
He didn't "cut", people were supportive of his cause and let him through.
I was there that day and there was no line to cut, I didnt see any special treatment. That dude was hauling ass all day, more than I can say for all the e-tough guys who disagree. Anyway, why not help out someone who is putting out a big effort.