Quantcast

Places to camp around Whistler?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i parked my truck in a dark corner of the parking lot and slept in that once!

other than that there is a place about 15min south on the right...but i forgot the name so i am no help (as usual):rolleyes:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by HippieKai
i parked my truck in a dark corner of the parking lot and slept in that once!

other than that there is a place about 15min south on the right...but i forgot the name so i am no help (as usual):rolleyes:
Riverside...

I could have sworn you could park all night in lot 4...hmm I will have to look into this.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by bibs
hey I dont know where good places are to camp, hit me up if you see me at the lift though. I am riding a grey/black turner and probally a speedmetal jersey.....
This won't be till the week of July 4. But I most certainly will say howdy since you too ride a turner and are therefore a higher form of life. I ride a black one with a blue White bros fork.

Originally posted by kidwoo
This won't be till the week of July 4. But I most certainly will say howdy since you too ride a turner and are therefore a higher form of life. I ride a black one with a blue White bros fork.

hehehe, turners rock, mine has a WC boxxer its an 04'...love the set up now that its dailed in!!....us Turners guys gotta stick together!..:D;) :D

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
2 years ago it was legal to sleep in your car in lot 4. Last year they had signs saying they would tow you. However, I have heard that you can still park overnight. The only place to camp is the RV place which is riding distance away. North of Whistler on the right. They do have some decent private spots for tents. That said, hotel rooms in Whistler are so cheap you aren't saving much money if you can split the room wiht somebody.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Yeah thats the way I remember it too. Ok I didn't think I was going insane.

But yeah the prices are so cheap right now some places are 59$ cdn a night walk in rate.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Roasted
Yeah thats the way I remember it too. Ok I didn't think I was going insane.

But yeah the prices are so cheap right now some places are 59$ cdn a night walk in rate.
That's still more expensive than sleeping in the woods and jumping in creeks.;)

Maybe a relevent question at this point would be this:

Who manages the land surrounding Whistler? I'm used to BLM and/or US forest service management and camping pretty much wherever I please. What's the story outside of Whistler (Garibaldi provincial park etc)? I'm not going to spend a week sleeping in a parking lot in an area surrounded by woods and wilderness.

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
I can't remember the name of the road, but it is a traffic lighted intersection before you get to creekside, there is a paved road that soon turns to dirt that fallows a good size creek up to the right. Follow for a couple miles and you will come to a small access road for kayaks and a good camp sight along a single track trail that paralells the river. About 50 ft from the vehicle turn-around. In the summer I usually just string up a hammock in that area.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Chuckwagon
I can't remember the name of the road, but it is a traffic lighted intersection before you get to creekside, there is a paved road that soon turns to dirt that fallows a good size creek up to the right. Follow for a couple miles and you will come to a small access road for kayaks and a good camp sight along a single track trail that paralells the river. About 50 ft from the vehicle turn-around. In the summer I usually just string up a hammock in that area.
:thumb: THANKS

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I'd vote riverside too. It is more expensive then the rustic type campground, but if you have a few people you can split the cost down to make it worth it. Its very close to the village 5 minutes...not 25...., has hot showers, and laundry, a store and cafe with internet... and also a bike shop..

deelux 247

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Sherwood, Oregon
We camped just north of Whistler on a side dirt road to the right which I think is an old powerline road. When you get up there just drive around and you should be able to find something. Thats what we did anyways good luck and good riding. If you hear any banjos it's no big deal really!! :heart:

Yo Kidwoo.. Pm me with details of when you are coming up.. I may have room for you for a couple of nights at my place.. I am about 20 min north of the village.. In Pemberton (there is also lots of good riding here).. I usually have freinds up from the states on Weekends.. but if I know when you are gonna be here I can arrange some space for you..
Peace.

Originally posted by shootr
Yo Kidwoo.. Pm me with details of when you are coming up.. I may have room for you for a couple of nights at my place.. I am about 20 min north of the village.. In Pemberton (there is also lots of good riding here).. I usually have freinds up from the states on Weekends.. but if I know when you are gonna be here I can arrange some space for you..
Peace.
is "mad flow" in good shape still?... I wanna show the guys that trail next trip up.

Jewels

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
I once partied all night long in the day lot. Music blastin bike ridin beer drinkin till 5 in the am. No one sweated man...they even played The Exploited's "Maggie" uncut on the f-in radio dude...Whistler?? Heaven?? Probably the same place if ya think about it...you Washinton pukes...ENJOY FOR AN OUTTA TOWN BROTHER:mumble:

hellskull

Chimp
May 20, 2003
I was just about to start this same thread. I'm going up this weekend (21-23) I was planning on just sleeping in my car at the day lot so if anyone has had a BAD experience with this please let me know. Hey bibs, you gonna be there that weekend? It would kick ass if I could just find a warm shower saturday night. Not looking for a bed because I'm excited about trying out the new hatchback I just got a week ago.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
me and dwight are gonna drive up and tent it when we go to whistler in july/august. not sure where were gonna "camp" but we'll have to see when we get there!! when we go with my parents we are gonna stay in a hotel, cause we'll use their money!!!

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
One time I slept in my truck in one of the parking lots and the security guard kicked me out. He wouldnt have noticed except for the fogged up windows.

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
Myself and frizanko will be up there the 21 to 24th. We'll be on channel 2.32 or 2.50 on the walkie talkies. Those are unofficial ridemonkey channels. Look us up!

Originally posted by hellskull
I was just about to start this same thread. I'm going up this weekend (21-23) I was planning on just sleeping in my car at the day lot so if anyone has had a BAD experience with this please let me know. Hey bibs, you gonna be there that weekend? It would kick ass if I could just find a warm shower saturday night. Not looking for a bed because I'm excited about trying out the new hatchback I just got a week ago.

Nov 21, 2003
There is a provincial park on the way to Pemberton that has camping, its on the right near the hairpin turn leading up hill to Pemberton and is attached to the park with the waterfalls. Its only about $10 or so, but its about 20 minutes or so out of Whistler.

hellskull

Chimp
May 20, 2003
Hey Chuckwagon, look for me on a nicolai HT. I'm also headed down to Corvallis on the 25th so lets hook up for some riding somewhere along the line.

I was there 2 weeks ago and slept Under my buddies truck. The only problem I had was rain and some drunk chick almost stepping on me as she walked by at 3 am. The whislter Mounties drove up lights shining on me sometime in the middle of the night. They sat there for a minute till I pulled the sleeping bag over my head and then they drove away. They didn't seem to have a problem with sleeping in the dirt lot.

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
Originally posted by hellskull
Hey Chuckwagon, look for me on a nicolai HT. I'm also headed down to Corvallis on the 25th so lets hook up for some riding somewhere along the line.
How long are you going to be in corvallis for? I could take you out to falls city on the 25th or 26th.

check out www.santiambicycle.com 's forum for some pics and info.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by shootr
Peace.
Wow, thank you very much for the offer. I'll be driving up the weekend of the 4th of July and staying probably until that Friday. I'm probably going to bring a freeride (climbable) bike as well as my DH bike. I may take you up on the offer.......at least for a shower.:p

Oh yeah, I come with beer.:thumb:

Brock: Driving, mostly so I can have my tools.

Thanks again for the input guys.

--Kevin

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by brock
Bring your skateboard. I have a nice place for you to stretch your legs that is about 5 minutes off the freeway on your way up.
Well that's at least one less day at whistler!! (This is not a bad thing).

Yes you and I will meet up, I am certain of it.:D

I think I have more of a chance getting broken biking than I do skateboarding so I'll get in touch with you about the drive up.

Thanks man. BOTH of those parks look awesome!!!

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I went with this buddie and we played at a camp site about 5 miles south of Whistler. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We set up our tent in te dark and learned at like 2am that we were about 10 feet from a rail road track and gad to put up with like 2 trains that night and like 3 the next night.