Quantcast

Planning a trip to Austria, few Questions.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Hey guys, im planning a trip for 2012 to Austria to watch the World champs in Leogang and ride for about 5 days.

How far is Schladmig from Leogang roughly? Has anyone here biked at either of these resorts?

Cheers.

nicolais2000

Chimp
May 22, 2011
its around 90km away (58Miles)

I personally dont like Leogang. Ok, I was there probably twice a season when I lived in Germany, but I was at least 6 weekends in Schladming. Now you know which track I prefer.
30km away from Leogang is Saalbach Hinterglem with some nice tracks.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
What are the average lift prices a day?
Do each of these hills have numerous trails?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They have a few trails but not a crazy amount. 3-5 usually. Leogang fr trail is nice but gets boring fast and is mostly in really not the best shape but there is a number of resorts under 3h drive from leo:
Saalbach - 30mins away. Good trails though they never wowed me.
Wagrain and Schladming - around the same distance. Schladming has the wc track and a dh track from the higher part of the gondola. Wagrain is more FR-ish.
A bit further away than Schlad is Maribor if you wish to do a bit of WC track sightseeing ;) Great park with an awesome red line fr trail (the blue line is a bit boring but you can find some hidden tracks too)
Inssbruck - never ridden it, only walked parts of it when I was there without a bike. Seems really steep and long. Some nice wooden features the last time I was there.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Holy, forgot about Maribor. So I could basically ride 3 world tracks over the period of a few days if I planned it right. Sounds amazing. A rent a car is a must it sounds like. Im trying to do a rough budget to have an amount to save for and hopefully get 2 more people into it with me.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
Holy, forgot about Maribor. So I could basically ride 3 world tracks over the period of a few days if I planned it right. Sounds amazing. A rent a car is a must it sounds like. Im trying to do a rough budget to have an amount to save for and hopefully get 2 more people into it with me.
you deff should get a rental car - maribor is 45 min from me and schladming is 2,5 hrs if there is no traffic - leogang is 3 hours - depending on traffic and route you choose ....

be careful if you take an austrian rental car and try to go to maribor, as their highways are not toll free - but you are able to go there without taking the highaway only spending 10 mins extra

also in the low season maribor is only operated every other hour (except weekends when the gondola is working all day!)

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
you deff should get a rental car - maribor is 45 min from me and schladming is 2,5 hrs if there is no traffic - leogang is 3 hours - depending on traffic and route you choose ....

be careful if you take an austrian rental car and try to go to maribor, as their highways are not toll free - but you are able to go there without taking the highaway only spending 10 mins extra

also in the low season maribor is only operated every other hour (except weekends when the gondola is working all day!)
Good old Europe eh.
What are the Gondola Fees? So basically if I had a rental I could pretty much use one lodging as a home base, I think ill plan to stay around Schladmig.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

I thought the worlds are in high season.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I thought they were in the last weekend of August into September. Is that the High Season?

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
day tickets are around 25 - 30€ / day.
semmering bike park is not too bad either, and somewhere in the middle between schladming and maribor.

Last edited:

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
Good old Europe eh.
What are the Gondola Fees? So basically if I had a rental I could pretty much use one lodging as a home base, I think ill plan to stay around Schladmig.
@norbar oh yeah right, didnt think that far ahead:)

you could just have one homebase, but it might be more comfortable to stay in maribor for 2 days or how every long you plan to -and then go to schladming or vice versa.... saves you from driving around 145 miles one way after a hard day of riding :) and maribor is good for 2 days or more- while semmering ...well half a day there is too much for some people :P - at least I'm not a big fan!

if you were into some rather steep and technical riding which is hard on you and your material - you could come to graz - and go riding on the "schöckl" which is the site of the 20XX (07??06? dont know) european championship - we have a gondola and some pretty cool trails - its not an official bikepark yet but makes for some non-shaped natural tracks:)

and its 45 minutes to maribor (as well as semmering)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Are there any photos or better helmetcams of Schockl? I never knew Graz had its own lift acessed trail. Its a great city and it seems there is one more reason to like it now ;)

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
Schöckl Website there is nothing bike-specific on there - just weather reports and opening hours/prices

here are 3 vids of the better trails
YouTube - ‪kanaumpasst's Channel‬‏

be aware you wont find any of the trails without help - and not everyone riding up there knows every trail :rolleyes:

if you do plan to visit - try to contact locals first - either here or on downhill-board.com - everyone is usually very helpfull! :) oh and bring spare parts! haha