Quantcast

Planning a whistler trip-need advise

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So I'm looking at possibly taking a trip to whistler this summer, and I'm trying to figure out the last leg of the trip. I really want to bring my own bike rather than rent, so I'll have a bike box for myself and my girlfriend. How do you guys go from Vancouver to Whistler? Do you take a bus? Rent a car? Seaplane? Ride a totem pole tied to a killer whale?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Look into flying into Seattle and then renting a car. If your stay is short enough not to make a rental car very expensive, this can be a cheaper/easier option. My friends flew out from the east coast for a snowboard trip last month and it was far cheaper.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yeah, the seattle drive is 4-ish hours vs. 2-ish from van.

any word on what the highway construction is like? is that still botching the traffic?

also, trip from seattle to W will let you stop in Van and ride the shore. worth it.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
yeah, the seattle drive is 4-ish hours vs. 2-ish from van.

any word on what the highway construction is like? is that still botching the traffic?

also, trip from seattle to W will let you stop in Van and ride the shore. worth it.
it is illegal to do contruction in canada on the weekends or just sunday, but its one of those for sure, so it wont botch anything then.

and the olympics arent until 2010 so im betting it will have some sort of botch, try to arrive in whistler in the evening to avoid traffic/contruction on sea to sky highway, time it well however, so you dont catch rush hour on the freeway cuz its a bitch in canada

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
make a road trip out of it and drive from home...i did that a couple summers ago...drove from arkansas to whistler and then stayed in oregon for a month...worth every minute/dollar

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
If I didn't live a 4hr drive from whistler, I'd be doing a road trip personally. That way you can check out other ride spots on the way.

With that said, the Washington traffic is typically OK on all days but Friday going North, except for when you get threw Seattle around 2PM till 6PM ish.

Jan 18, 2006
I have used a shuttle twice that cost me 65 each way they pickd up and dropped off every 4 hours or so. I can't remember the name, I will try to dig it up.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
it is illegal to do contruction in canada on the weekends or just sunday, but its one of those for sure, so it wont botch anything then.

and the olympics arent until 2010 so im betting it will have some sort of botch, try to arrive in whistler in the evening to avoid traffic/contruction on sea to sky highway, time it well however, so you dont catch rush hour on the freeway cuz its a bitch in canada
It may be illegal to do construction on weekends, but that doesn't stop people from driving the construction zone speed limits 24-7. I don't know what the law is in Canada, but here there are many areas where construction zone speed limits apply only when workers are present.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
When are you planning your trip? There is a lot of cool stuff going on in the the NW this summer. You may want to come into Seattle and check out some local trails and or a race then head north to Whistler. The drive is a pretty sweet one.