Quantcast

Plans for my bike.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Right, so, as some of you may or (more than likely) may not remember, I've got a 2004 Banshee that I've been building up. Well, since I was last on here, I've made some progress, and it's almost ridable.

Got the crankset mounted and the largest chainring replaced with a bashguard, found my derailleur hangers and mounted the rear dereailleur, ran the cable for the shifter and got the chain mounted. Bike is basically ridable except the distinct lack of a rear brake.

Well, I bought a 160mm Avid Elixir 3 rear brake today for it so that'll solve that problem. Front is still a Tektro IO cable disc brake, also 160mm but I don't plan on changing that for a while.

Anywho, here's the plan:
1. mount the brake
2. adjust everything on the bike so it's cherry
3. ride!

I plan on hitting up Crane Creek at first to see how the bike reacts and such, then ride it around Annadel a bit.

When winter hits, disassemble the bike completely. Every last fastener, part, everything. Order new nuts and bolts, sandblast every frame component, paint and rebuild. Maybe throw some new parts on it if I can afford it, namely a new front fork.

Thinking of painting it this color:

(ugly car I know, but a rad color...)

edit\\

maybe i should post a pic of said bike:

****ty indoor cellphone photo, will get a good one tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
hydro should have gone on the front since it has more power and is where most of your braking should come from. other then that sounds good
noted, I'll pick up a hydraulic setup for the front when I can.

My logic was the fact that I have NO rear brake and a working front brake, plus I rarely if ever use my front brake due to bad experiences with flipping myself over the handlebars as a kid :p

Guess I'll have to get over that eventually but for now I'm going to run the hydraulic on the back because like I said, it has no rear brake as of right now.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Got the elixir mounted, had to cut off the left grip to take the old combination shifter/brake lever off and switched the front brake to the right side (which is actually more familiar anyways since I've ridden a motorcycle more recently than a normal bike). Rear derailleur needs to be adjusted but once that's done (probably tomorrow?) I'll take it out to Crane Creek and go bomb around! Can't wait! :D