Quantcast

Plastic Gear Guard

rock-ice

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
federal way, wa
The plastic guard that sits between the largest cog on my rear wheel and the spokes became undone a couple of days ago. After further inspection I discovered that one of two small arms that keeps the guard attached to the spokes had broken. Here comes the newbeish question. How important is this small peice of plastic?!?!? Can I even get a new one at a bike shop, and if so is it worth replacing?
thanks

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
Yes you can get a new one at a shop. Or you could spend the money and have the mechanic adjust your der. and then you won't need it.

It costs maybe a buck. You have to take the cluster off to replace it; it just clips onto the spokes. The style weenies hate 'em, but stuff happens, and if it saves me from one instance of trying to get the chain unstuck from under the cluster, It's worth it, even when the LBS wrenches roll their eyes.

J

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
People used to laugh at helmets too. OK, this isn't as critical as a helmet, but it's still there for the safety of your spokes. Simply saying "Don't replace it. Just adjust the limiter screw" is like saying, "Don't wear a helmet -- just don't fall on your head." Sh1t happens.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
None of my bikes are sporting such a guard at the moment (because I am not going to pay money for a piece of plastic that I don't really need, and I am my own wrench as far as installing cassettes), but there have been plenty of times when my bike's rear spokes have tried to eat the chain. At such times a little, stupid-looking piece of plastic would have been a godsend. :rolleyes:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by Toshi
I am my own wrench as far as installing cassettes), but there have been plenty of times when my bike's rear spokes have tried to eat the chain.
sounds like you need a new mechanic who knows what the limit screws are for...:devil: ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Orven
sounds like you need a new mechanic who knows what the limit screws are for...:devil: ;)
Things get bent during rides, ya know. It's not all my fault. :angry: :eek:

And the only place that I seem to have chain problems is at an urban destination in Boston, where I always try (and sometimes succeed) at riding up a set of stairs, a bad idea especially when punch drunk at night.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by Toshi
I always try (and sometimes succeed) at riding up a set of stairs, a bad idea especially when punch drunk at night.
I have training wheels for cheap...I'd trade you with Intense ODI grips for them..:D :D :thumb:

R

rstrange1

That plastic thingy?

LX or greater rear derailleur means you throw it away.
Sram 9.0 or greater throw it away.

Otherwise replace it because you don't need to get your bicycle fixed that often.

Attachments