Quantcast

Platform Pedals wanted

farrell

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
DC
I ride those right now on my DS bike. they work for me, I'm pretty happy. oh and I wouldnt worry about replacing the pins, I've had mine for about 9 months, and the bearings are starting to wear out. They will probably break before you replace the pins, but for 40 bucks I thought they were worth it, they should last you a year atleast.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Those ZuZu pedals, while nice and all that because of the stud screw location, won't have nearly as much grip as the Stomps. The problem is that those studs are smooth and don't offer the grip that the evil threaded bastards on the Stomps (and my A-Frames) have. Nothing beats them.

So you can go with less grippy but boy o boy what a joy to replace pins on, or you can go with best grip and worry about the pins when you get to that bridge.

Oh and the Stomps are just fine. NS Bikes, the fancy pants boutique frame builder that they are, are releasing a pedal that looks just like it....oh wait that's because they're all made in the same Taiwanese factory.

There's some nice Wellgo clones too, I hear their Easton Fatboy clones are ace. Not sure if you can get them in this country though.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
A pair of five.tens solves grip issues.

I'm using a pair of crank bros 50/50's which some people say are very slippery but I feel clipped in when I'm using them with my five.tens.

In regards to wellgo, they do make some great platform pedals.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
If you're familiar with the smooth pins and whether or not you can deal with them, then yeah, go for it.

I believe the only pedals that use both the screw/allen head style bottom-loading pins that aren't smooth are the Syncros Mental pedals. And as the name implies only the mentally ill would bother to pay their obscene asking price.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Jayridesacove said:
Get pedals that let you remove the pins from the bottom. Once those studs are trashed, they are going to be a pain to replace.

For studs that are removed from the back, the f'ed up stud may f'up the threads in the pedal body as you back the f'ed stud through it.

If you f'up front loading studs, you can just take a dremel and a cut off wheel and cut a little groove in the top and then unscrew them with a small flat head screw driver and not damage the pedal body.

Who here has actually replace a pedal stud anyway? Seems like the pedals and bearings get trashed long before it's necessary. (maybe I just buy cheap pedals?)

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Never tried the dremel technique, seems like a good idea.

In regards to changing studs, I have to change out the ones on a 5+ year old pair of Snafu's that I've beat to hell and back.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I think that if I rode my current pedals for five years they would resemble a chewed up Popsicle stick. I'll probably replace them long before that happens.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Jayridesacove said:
Get pedals that let you remove the pins from the bottom. Once those studs are trashed, they are going to be a pain to replace.
that actually makes them harder to replace. when the pins get mashed up, it makes it either harder or impossible to thread through the pedal body. at least pics that screw in from the outside can be removed with a pair of pliers.

edit - just noticed someone else mentioned this. glad im not the only one that realized that however.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Riding A-Frames on my hardtail.

The new bike is being held hostage at Performance and came with some Funn Sojam Vipers that seem like the dog's danglies. The A-Frames have been run directly into rocks at the Shed without breaking or bending, bless their aluminum hearts.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
farrell said:
I ride those right now on my DS bike. they work for me, I'm pretty happy. oh and I wouldnt worry about replacing the pins, I've had mine for about 9 months, and the bearings are starting to wear out. They will probably break before you replace the pins, but for 40 bucks I thought they were worth it, they should last you a year atleast.
i've also got a pair on my DH bike and they've taken a pretty good beating so far in 1.5 years. i'll be swapping them up soon though since the bearings are so shot, not bad for $40 though.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
norco-freerider said:
that actually makes them harder to replace. when the pins get mashed up, it makes it either harder or impossible to thread through the pedal body. at least pics that screw in from the outside can be removed with a pair of pliers.

edit - just noticed someone else mentioned this. glad im not the only one that realized that however.
I have a pair of ringle zu-zu's that have taken a beating and the studs were easy to take out.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
jdschall said:
I think that if I rode my current pedals for five years they would resemble a chewed up Popsicle stick. I'll probably replace them long before that happens.
Here's what 5+ years of riding does to a pair of platform pedals. These have seen trails in Snowshoe, around here, in Hawaii and in Japan. They have smashed into countless rocks and taken many crashes like a champ.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
The bike I just bought came with Funn Soljam Viper's which at least so far seem really really nice. They're wider than my A-Frames but probably not as sturdy. And there may be an issue with mud buildup on the little griptape section but we'll have to see about that first.