Quantcast

Platforms.....

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
For DH ONLY, I recommend Syncos Mentals... but miss a pedal and you're getting sticjes, and very hard to stunt with as wherever your feet land, they stay there. Can't adjust your feet in motion. Add a set of Five.Ten Impacts to those and your glued on. I switched over to a $30 set of Oddysey(sp) Celinski's, stuck longer spikes in and rock and roll.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What's funny is that platform pedals come up in so many threads and it seems like every time this thread comes up you get about as many different opinions as you do responses. It's not like chainguides where everybody says E13, or forks where everybody says Marz (well not so much anymore) or headsets and everyone says CK or seatposts and everyone says Thomson. There is no holy grail of pedals, especially flats. If I could reccomend one and know that you'd be guaranteed to be happy with what I reccomended I don't think there would be nearly as many threads on pedals.

I'm thinking I need to sit down and seriously consider designing a set of pedals, if I can make them low profile like AtomLabs, put bearings in them that will last forever without end play, make them grippy and weigh a reasonable amount I think I could get lots of your money. But I lack motivation and I don't really have money to fund a project like this, and it would be really easy to float a loan and never be able to pay it back with income from a pedal company.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
xpedo mx-3 (if u smash rocks a lot no cause they are the lightest flats)
easton cullys
sun ringle octanes
wellgo b57

a lot of good flats out.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I got ahold of a nice pair of clipless pedals when I got into XC riding and then went back to the simplicity of flats after awhile. Haven't tried clipless since ive moved to my beefy bike. I use cheapo Wellgo magnesium pedals from Supergo and they work fine.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
I've noticed people seem to like a-frames generally. They do have good grip but are sealed badly. I trashed mine in a month so I'd never buy them again. Cheap wellgo's are my vote but I would like to pick up some NYC freeride once they get into production again.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
thaflyinfatman said:
5-10 impacts. Then (as long as you don't touch 50-50s) it won't really matter :)
amen!
welgo B-37s are the stand by classic in my mind.
i just got a new pair of funn soljam vipers, yes i know the grip tape is tarded but these pedals are wide as texas, nicely concave, and come with tall, well placed pins. only one ride on them so far but the stick like a mofo with my worn out 5-10s.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like atom aircorps for the low profile and grippy pegs, but the design is a little weak in the bearing dept. The new ones are supposedly better but haven't tried them. I also like shimano DX or holzfellers, and the specialized low pro's are also good.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
the lightest falts actually are wellgo mg-1 with ti axles.
340g range.

I myself am weighing things up between wellgo lu-a52 and Animal Hamilton, and i've got my eyes open for other stuff. I bought a pair of Odyssey Jim Cielencki(sic) loose ball (shocked to find that that neither means full compliment nor caged at all, and not even an o-ring on the inboard side) and despite the fact that they rotate, and the rolling elements are intact the bearing system is mangled so my bike rattles; and i've grown somewhat dissenamoured of the lateral concave, i think i prefer a logitudinal concave, and i'm fairly certain i want cartridge bearings, if not the pedals have at least got to have good seals in the body.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
CreeP said:
the lightest falts actually are wellgo mg-1 with ti axles.
340g range. . .
I've only tried these on another bike, but I was surprised that they gripped better than my a-frames, not to mention being far lighter.

I'd like to see a fancier version of this pedal: a nice powder-coated, thin race platform from NYC, burgtec, or similar outfit.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
KORE Elites are nice, durable, and large (4"x4"). I'm not sure if they're made anymore, though. Mine have held up quite well to abuse.

toby

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
ThePriceSeliger said:
I just got a set of the 5050xx. They will be with 5.10's as well. They don't have the traction pins either. Will they grip well?

I would get the better pins available from them. and then set the pins in an order like the a frame and htey give you perfect grip w/ five tens.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Truvativ Holzfellers. They are the perfect thickness and have an awesome shape. Those and the NYC freeride race lites are the only flat pedals I would ever consider.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Here is another pedal you may want to look at they have a huge plat form but are light and look really nice. THey are a little expensive though.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Yeah, I looked at those actually....

I'm thinking I should just replace the pins in mine and see how that works before I decide to drop 100 bucks on a new pedal.

Where can I get replacement pins BTW?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
The Home Depot?

I am not sure I could bring myself to drop lots of money on something like pedals. Tires, brakes, fork? Sure. Cranks, wheels? Probably.

Things like saddles, bars, pedals, and even the drivetrain come down to more of a 'feel' thing than something like brake or suspension performance.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Any hardwear store shold be able to supply you with set screws to replace your pins with. I picked up a bag of 1000x10mm for the retarded cheap price of $12. Pins for life!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
nycfreeride race lites. im talking with andy about something along those lines. super thin, light as hell (ie ti or mag) and the stunning good looks and killer performance just like the rest of andys components

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Just got my Block8 pedals.
They actually weigh slightly less at 490 grams than the claimed weight of 499. Size is pretty big and on par with my KORE Elites, but nearly 1/2 pound lighter.
Also these are only $60. I have researched shape, size, concave, strength, bearings, cost and weight and these were my final result.....

Attachments