Quantcast

Plattekill Eastern States Cup #4 and GES Course

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
oh wait is this the one that is like a right turn, then some rocks, then the root drop is like kind off camber into a left berm onto the ski slope?
You really don't know where the bus stop is?

In the dry it plays with your mind. In the wet it plays with your life!

Nope, that is the root drop. but as of yesterday the root is gone from the root drop
WTF? Platty gets all high-tech with that LED sign at the ticket window and now they start clearing all the obstacles from the trails??? joking

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
OKAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY

I sure hope you're gonna make it up. I'm staying sunday night, gonna be a helluva party.
It was a helluva party this past Sat :thumb: Also to the guy from Ontario who Broke his collar bone this past weekend,,Cant remember your name but sick riding with ya you were killing it:thumb: Heal up soon we will be here;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Alright, I'm de-retarded now, I see where it is. That is a fun and challenging section...first race I ever did 12 years ago went down that section in the rain...it's much easier with soft compound tires and 8" of travel...

Anybody headed up this weekend?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
.first race I ever did 12 years ago went down that section in the rain...it's much easier with soft compound tires and 8" of travel...
Yes it is 8 feet wider now......thanks (sarcasm) to Hemmich.....

Original name of that trail is "Ms. June".....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Any tire recommendations for a first timer to Plattekill?
to second bfrich, I run 2.5" minions, 3c, DHF/R. I have had nothing but good luck with them there. Tacky tires are a must as you ride on so much rock/shale and when things get wet, they get slick. It doesn't get so muddy as other mountains, just wet. I would probably have gone with 2.7s if I knew maxxisesses ran so small, but I like hi volume.

not sure I exactly remember that... pictures are too sunny!

looks fun tho - left turn into steep chute? big rocks or just loose shale?
It is way sunnier than i've seen it past...that area must be thinning out. It's a long straight trail that goes almost perpendicular to the lift. You almost go "up" the mountain, it's that flat/close to it. That trail wraps around the tree seen above, and takes a left down the chute. There's a small drop right after the tree, or you head out about 3-4 feet and there's a large shale/slate rock face that creates a bridge or ramp. The chute is mostly rocky/rooty but not a lot of loose shale. It's way steeper than it looks, but not ridiculously so.

I always go straight to the rock face then take a hard left and let it roll down the face. Took me forever to get it down and I'm too uncreative to try other lines.

Will it be taped to the tree, or will people get the option of going under it?

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
not sure I exactly remember that... pictures are too sunny!

looks fun tho - left turn into steep chute? big rocks or just loose shale?
Off camber root enterance riders left, loose shale over off camber rock entrance riders right. Big rock step-downs in the middle chute, loose shale no berm right turn exit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It is way sunnier than i've seen it past...that area must be thinning out. It's a long straight trail that goes almost perpendicular to the lift. You almost go "up" the mountain, it's that flat/close to it. That trail wraps around the tree seen above, and takes a left down the chute. There's a small drop right after the tree, or you head out about 3-4 feet and there's a large shale/slate rock face that creates a bridge or ramp. The chute is mostly rocky/rooty but not a lot of loose shale. It's way steeper than it looks, but not ridiculously so.
so its heading from the double side of the mountain to the triple?

Off camber root enterance riders left, loose shale over off camber rock entrance riders right. Big rock step-downs in the middle chute, loose shale no berm right turn exit.
ugh

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
...no berm...

ugh[/quote]

The Delta House Crew put in enough well-placed berms that add to the natural flow & keep momentum on course that it's for the best to leave this corner flat. There is a suicide ninja line that eliminates the corner...but keep that between us & the internet!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh the exit is surprisingly smooth, for lacking a berm.

Yeah, they used to run it from the triple side down the mountain, but now it's double side down like poser, picnic, headshock, bus stop, etc. You basically head shallowly across the hill then double back to hit it. Should make for a decent course.

to iheartmice,
I just disagree, having ridden whiteface, highland, jiminy, bromont, killington...plattekill doesn't get soaked through like they do. In sections, you'll find mud, but even when it's raining it drains really well. I'm not saying it doesn't get muddy, but you don't usually see the 4" thick goop that other mountains do.

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
Hmmm.. Ok. Was this in the Sport course from the GES finals?

If so, I'll be stoked I guessed it as soon as you said there is a tree in the middle of it. LOL :rofl:

If not, I'll remain as clueless as I am the other 364 days of the year. :thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
narp. If you're talking about GES finals from last year, in the cold ass weather, then you're on the wrong side of the lift. The bus stop business is right in the "armpit" between the two peaks, leaning on the double side...unless I am mistaken.

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
narp. If you're talking about GES finals from last year, in the cold ass weather, then you're on the wrong side of the lift. The bus stop business is right in the "armpit" between the two peaks, leaning on the double side...unless I am mistaken.
Ok. Back to makin sammiches, then. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
anyone know if there will be riding on Friday July 2nd? This is my first time to platty so I don't know if I should show up early?
Yes! Make sure you stop in and say hi at the Gravity Project pits! You can even meet yours truly.

Come join us for Race #3 of the Gravity East Series and the 4th Downhill Race of the "2010 Eastern States Cup" at Plattekill Sunday July 4th at 11am. The mountain will be OPEN 4 DAYS - JULY 2nd THRU JULY 5th for race practice, freeriding and Independence Weekend Celebrations!!! Hope to see you here!

SCHEDULE:

Friday, July 2
10am-5pm - race registration open, race practice and freeriding open to the public
Friday tickets: $30 if not racing, $20 if registered for DH race, FREE for Pro race entries

Saturday, July 3
9am-1pm race day registration open
9am-5pm - race practice and freeriding open to the public

Sunday, July 4
8am-10:30am race practice and registration open
10am-5pm - freeriding open to the public
11am Downhill Race begins

Monday, July 5
10am-5pm freeriding open to the public
$20 lift ticket if you race Sunday, July 4 DH race, all others $30
http://www.plattekill.com/summer/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=241

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the nice thing about platty is that you can ride 3-4 days and NOT get beat up like some other mountains

Last edited: