Quantcast

please help?

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I have an Azonic steelhead set-up as a single speed. the drivetrain wont stop creaking when i pedal. i've changed the chainline a couple times, replaced the bb, chainring and cog. lubed everything. the next thing I'm gunna try tomorrow is putting a spacer on the bb to bring the chain ring out.

could it be the chain tension? It's pretty tight with the tensioner on, but too loose with it... I try to put it right in the middle with the tensioner and it doesnt creak until i bunnyhop... then it starts again and pulls the chain tighter...

oh yeah, and the cranks are specialized big arms... if that means anything... i heard something about specialized cranks being weird about chainlines and stuff...

does anyone have any idea?

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
livetheride514 said:
the drivetrain wont stop creaking when i pedal. i've changed the chainline a couple times, replaced the bb, chainring and cog. lubed everything. the next thing I'm gunna try tomorrow is putting a spacer on the bb to bring the chain ring out.
Seated or standing? If seated it could be the rails of the saddle, the bolt for the seatpost. It could be where the spokes of the rear wheel where they cross. Pedal threads into the crank arms. Is it a square taper BB? Some people say not to grease the taper but I have with no problems. Creaks suck. Good luck!

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
okay.

-It is a creak with a little clank in it...hard to explain.
-it isnt the seat, though that does creak.
-it is definetly coming from the front half of the drivetrain, so it's not the spokes.
-It isnt a square taper. It's an isis.
-The pedal spindle is slightly bent, but that isnt the noise I'm hearing, i relized that and ruled that noise out.
-I thought the chainline was good, but it looks straight in 2 different positions. same position as 5th and 6th cog on a cassette. What should i do to pick the best one?

I was looking at it and i think one of the little arms ( i dunno what they are called) that bolts to the chainring is bent... would that make the creak... i think it is...

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
livetheride514 said:
-I thought the chainline was good, but it looks straight in 2 different positions. same position as 5th and 6th cog on a cassette. What should i do to pick the best one?
To get absolute perfect chailine is tough. It can get very good with either cut up PVC sections or Endless Fibonacci Spacer kit.

livetheride514 said:
-I was looking at it and i think one of the little arms ( i dunno what they are called) that bolts to the chainring is bent... would that make the creak... i think it is...
Not to be a pain, but I assume you lubed/greased the chainring bolts? Aluminum ones can be more sensitive to being dry. I would seriously consider replacing the cranks. I know that sounds irrational, but 2 things: 1) you could rule out the crankset, and 2) with less than a perfectly straight "spider" (for lack of better word), it is possible to fold a chainring which results in the human body come crashing to earth suddenly. It is painfull.

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
Meat Foot said:
To get absolute perfect chailine is tough. It can get very good with either cut up PVC sections or Endless Fibonacci Spacer kit.
I have spacers right now...like plastic cassette spacers.

Meat Foot said:
Not to be a pain, but I assume you lubed/greased the chainring bolts? Aluminum ones can be more sensitive to being dry. I would seriously consider replacing the cranks. I know that sounds irrational, but 2 things: 1) you could rule out the crankset, and 2) with less than a perfectly straight "spider" (for lack of better word), it is possible to fold a chainring which results in the human body come crashing to earth suddenly. It is painfull.
hahhaha! i lubed them... ill lube them again just to see.

but it's weird cuz i play around with the chain tension and i went away...then i bunny hopped and it came back.