Quantcast

plese help with choosing my bike

maddragon121

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
hi everyone i am getting into freeriding and i currently have a crappy old palomar gt and need to get a new bike. i was thinking about ironhorse maverick 1.2 24'' and i think that would be suitable for me. i am 13 and weigh about 100 pounds. now the maverick is a hardtail but alot of the stuff i plan to do is ganna be dirt trails and small jumps maybe only giving me 2-5 feet of air. so would this bike be suitable for some begginer freeriding?

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Whats up... That Maverick I believe is more of a beginer XC bike than a trail / little dirt jumper.. How much is new? How much you want to spend or do your parents want to spend.. Cause I would look for a used bike more of a freeriding bike like a used Kona Shred they ar elike $700 new but I am sure if you are looking to spend like $400-500 you can really find a used bike to start off with. Good lUck

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
In general, I doubt you'll find something that's right for you for less than around $400 used (not to say that a suitable bike for less doesn't exist, just that it'll take some luck to find). Without knowing your budget, it's hard to recommend a specific model, but I second El Gordo's recommendation of a used Kona hardtail--they're solid bikes and used ones are relatively inexpensive. In my opinion, you should avoid non-local eBay auctions until you really know what you're doing (and even then, it can be sketchy). Go for something local if at all possible; you might see what you can find on Craigslist. If you know anyone who's an experienced and knowledgeable rider, get them to help you look over any bike you're thinking of buying.

I almost forgot: check out the Iron Horse Yakuza series. That's their budget freeride line, with several hardtail and full-suspension models. I think they're mostly $1000+ new, but if you search the net, you can find 2006 closeouts for a whole lot less (froogle.com and qbike.com are great for that). Better yet, so as to avoid buying sight-unseen, you might even be able to find a used one near you.

One last suggestion: once you have an idea of your price range and what features you want/need, try putting wanted ads on this site, Craigslist, and wherever else you feel like, and specify that you want to keep it local.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
its tough to wait but go mow some lawns, wash dishes, whatever, just save up a bit more and get yourself something that will last longer then one jump. The specialized hardrock series would be a little better but really you'd want to got with a specialized p series, a giant stp, or the ironhorse yakuza hardtail. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22319&subcategory_ID=3050 thats what I started out on, bomber bike and it will last you at least two years even if you are a complete hack.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
you could always ask your parents to pay for half, thats how i started out. my dad paid for half. that way, you could spend around $800. it doubles your budget. ask them, they will probobly say yes. no i have a job, and he doesnt pay for anythng and i owe $1000 for a new frame. take advantage of it if your parents will pay half or some.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Yeah work a little and get some more cash together no use in spending 300 bucks of your hard earned money on a bike that isnt worth it wait a little and beg your parents bro it always works and if you can get like 500-600 bucks together trust me you can find something used a real nice hard tail like a Kona, I really dig the kona hard tails bro.. Good luck..

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
my budget right now is only up to 300 bucks but i mean i could have another 100 bucks in 2 weeks
If you can have another $100 in two weeks does that mean you can have another $400 in 8 weeks? If so go to your LBS and see what they can put on layaway. What brands are sold in your area?

Good things come to those that wait. Patience is a virtue. etc, etc....

maddragon121

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
well i will only have 100 bucks in 2 weeks because my birthday is in a couple days and i can usually rack up some money that way. so i might save more money over time so i think it is a good idea to get a good bike that will last. and my dad said he might pay for some but he also said that he will pay for half but i will have to pay him back 10 bucks a month for the next like year or 2 but he will pay for some. and in my area i have a dicks sporting goods (dickssportinggoods.com), a sports authority (sportsauthority.com), and two small local bike stores that i could all check out. although i found on the internet 2 bikes that look nice, specialized epic, and the diamondback assault 07.and also for my size i am about 5'4'' so should i go with a 26'' or a 24''?

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Both of those are also XC bikes.

Find out what brands your bike stores carry and DO NOT get a bike at dicks or SA. Find out the brands and post them up. Jump on that offer from your dad. He sounds like a reasonable guy. If you explain to him that buying a more expensive bike will save money in the long run I'm sure he'll understand. 1. You won't outgrow the capabilities of the bike as quick. 2. It won't break constantly. In your situation you're much better off dealing with a local bike shop that can help you work out problems and give you advice as you need it. You should get a hardtail as your first bike not a full suspension. HTs help you become a smoother rider and ultimately your style will be much better. Every brand has a good HT jump/light FR bike now. Get back to us with those brands. Try to come up with at least $700-800.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
If there's any possible way, just get the money for the Iron Horse Yakuza Chimpira that someone mentioned earlier (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22319&subcategory_ID=3050). That bike will last you a long, long time, and the 15" size they're selling should fit you well for a freeride/do-it-all bike.

Whatever you get, stick to a 26" bike--24" wheels are usually only on kids' bikes or dedicated dirt jump/skate park/street bikes, neither of which would be right for you.

maddragon121

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
well i was looking at a stores website there are alot of bikes with full suspension, should i totally stay away from full suspension and get a hardtail?

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Like I said you'll be a much smoother rider if you get a HT first. Not to mention thy are simpler and lower maintenance. In your budget you can't get a whole lot of good FS bikes.

Do yourself a favor and go with a local bike shop that can provide you with the service you need.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Like its been said before, starting out with a hard tail is a great way to start learning in mountain biking. It teaches you the finesse you need to ride smooth on a bike where as starting with a full suspension bike would make you ride with less attention because theres more room for error. It will also be real hard to find a decent full suspension bike at a low cost.

My .02 is to check out the Gt Chucker on ebay. You can get one of those for a steal. I've got an 05 Gt Moto which is basically the same thing and its my ds/dj/urban bike. I think i got mine for $430 after shipping and it has lots of quality components. They're great for the money and durable as heck. It is a dirt jumper design so it probably wouldnt be the best if you wanted to go ride on long xc rides or anything but its great for any kind of jumps from park to dirt.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
^^^Yeah you can.
My little brother (11yrs) snapped his hardrock frame after about 3months, and Specialized wouldn't warranty it because he put a 100mm Manitou Minute on it rather than sticking with the stock peice of **** RST.
Specialized sucks.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I've never ridden a Cowan, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems like its geometry would be too DJ-oriented.

You might see if you can find one of the Norco Shore series hardtails (I believe the Bigfoot is the cheapest). The current models start around $1000 Canadian, so I bet you could find a used one in your price range pretty easily, or perhaps you could even get the cash together for a new one. They're really solidly built, and in my opinion they have great geometry for a freeride bike.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
^There are always used Norcos to be found cheap. Of course, that in itself could tell you something, but I don't know first hand.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
we have a cowan at our shop that we can demo and the geometry feels like it could be trail worthy too. The head angle is more slack then i expected so it felt more freerideish. just my two cents

I've never ridden a Cowan, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems like its geometry would be too DJ-oriented.

You might see if you can find one of the Norco Shore series hardtails (I believe the Bigfoot is the cheapest). The current models start around $1000 Canadian, so I bet you could find a used one in your price range pretty easily, or perhaps you could even get the cash together for a new one. They're really solidly built, and in my opinion they have great geometry for a freeride bike.

rid3HB

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Kona-Ryder: my bad. i had one and so did my brother, along with many numerious kids that grew up around me, had hardrocks and didnt have a problem with the frame or anything. i guess that i stand corrected.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
^There are always used Norcos to be found cheap. Of course, that in itself could tell you something, but I don't know first hand.
With as many of them as there are in BC alone, it's no wonder cheap used ones are so common...there's basically an endless supply! I've ridden a couple different Shore HT's, and I really liked them both...I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that line.

maddragon121

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
well i went to both my local bike shops and unfortunatly they dont carry konas =( but i asked the guy what would be a great beginner freeride bike and he left for a minute and came back with a pretty nice lookin bike, the scott voltage yz 35. i gave it for a test ride and it rides great. but i mean that was in a little parking lot but it seems like it would be good for freeriding. it is easy to control and manueverable.
would this be a suitable bike for a begginer freerider?
and also the bike comes with 2 versions, one with a greater distance between the handle bars and the seat and one with a shorter distance. they are both 26 inch tires though.the one with the shorter distance i could easily wheelie on but the long one is not as easy. so which version should i go with if i do get it? im thinking of the one with the shorter distance?

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
My two cents: I don't think there's anything wrong with the Voltage, but that's more of a jump/street-orient frame (more compact geometry, shorter travel fork). You can certainly ride it elsewhere, but I think more of a true freeride bike (like the Iron Horse Yakuza) would be a better choice since you'll likely find it more comfortable and confidence-inspiring for riding trails, freeriding, etc., and still manageable for dirt jumping.