Quantcast

Plowed.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
ive had jumps ive built bulldozed before..... worst feeling ever. you know what this means dont you? build them bigger, better and outta concert so they cant get plowed again :thumb:.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
We've rebuilt before, but it was after vandalism.
This was the Parks Dept. driving a backhoe....
The main trail boss moved onto private property a little over a year ago, and much of the old crew stopped hanging out so much, that's why the place went to crap and got plowed. With no real management left, the trash piled up, and the digging got a little sketchy, people were drinking and smoking, leaving beer cans scattered around, the city/parks people started getting complaints, and it got shut down.
So, if you're on public property; keep your spot clean, respect the neighbors, be courteous to passers-by. Don't drink and get high where anyone can see it.
We survived in a high-traffic area for over 5 years, by being respectful and keeping the place clean. Once that stopped, so did the jumps.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
So, if you're on public property; keep your spot clean, respect the neighbors, be courteous to passers-by. Don't drink and get high where anyone can see it.
You mean throwing juice boxes on the ground, and acting like a hard ass to everyone, and converting someones water can to a bong, and burning the benches, and getting hammered isnt "Trails"? What is this world coming to!!

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
It's dirt. Ever square inch packed by hand or foot.
The soil at this spot is amazing. Forms and packs beautifully when moist. No rocks ANYWHERE.
Crumbly and dusty when dry though.
Dirt like this, plus water hoses is a dirt jumpers dream. We had to pack water in from the river, it was a pain in the summertime.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
You mean throwing juice boxes on the ground, and acting like a hard ass to everyone, and converting someones water can to a bong, and burning the benches, and getting hammered isnt "Trails"? What is this world coming to!!
:thumb:
Sadly, this is exactly what some people think.... then they blame anything and everything but themselves when it blows up in their faces.

Juice boxes are IN. Preferred beverage for hardasses everywhere!

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
It's dirt. Ever square inch packed by hand or foot.
The soil at this spot is amazing. Forms and packs beautifully when moist. No rocks ANYWHERE.
Crumbly and dusty when dry though.
Dirt like this, plus water hoses is a dirt jumpers dream. We had to pack water in from the river, it was a pain in the summertime.
i think he means the carpet

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . This was the Parks Dept. driving a backhoe....
. . . .

Were there any warning or meetings first? You may be able to parlay this into getting a designated spot with water hookups etc. It could be worth getting a large group together, requesting a meeting with Parks headquarters, etc.

Give them a dose of their own mission statement:
"The mission of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department is to provide and protect outstanding natural, scenic, cultural, historic and recreational sites for the enjoyment and education of present and future generations."

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Like I said, the crew that had held it together for years and years had moved on... I think one guy from the new crew did meet with the parks people, but all it did was delay the plowing for a little while. Most of the old crew is happy to build on private land, and sick of dealing with the hassle of public jumps. It would be cool if someone could step up and get some public jumps going with the city/parks dept.'s blessings though. But it wont be me!

yesimaddicted

Monkey
Apr 28, 2007
centeral Euroland via CA
Like I said, the crew that had held it together for years and years had moved on... I think one guy from the new crew did meet with the parks people, but all it did was delay the plowing for a little while. Most of the old crew is happy to build on private land, and sick of dealing with the hassle of public jumps. It would be cool if someone could step up and get some public jumps going with the city/parks dept.'s blessings though. But it wont be me!
some of us at the U of O cycling/mtn bike team have been trying to work with the university to us land near the bmx track. but thats not going any where fast.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Damn! Those were great trails! But hey, now is a good time to start a new spot that is even better. I found that when I started building my trails, I did not know wtf I was doing. Now that I have experience, I often think about how I would change up the layout a bit.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Damn! Those were great trails! But hey, now is a good time to start a new spot that is even better. I found that when I started building my trails, I did not know wtf I was doing. Now that I have experience, I often think about how I would change up the layout a bit.
Yeah if nothing else, the place was a great learning experience. :thumb:

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
We've rebuilt before, but it was after vandalism.
This was the Parks Dept. driving a backhoe....
The main trail boss moved onto private property a little over a year ago, and much of the old crew stopped hanging out so much, that's why the place went to crap and got plowed. With no real management left, the trash piled up, and the digging got a little sketchy, people were drinking and smoking, leaving beer cans scattered around, the city/parks people started getting complaints, and it got shut down.
We survived in a high-traffic area for over 5 years, by being respectful and keeping the place clean. Once that stopped, so did the jumps.

That's the thin line my spot is balancing on. I try my best to do all that ya mentioned. I introduce myself to everyone that passes thru the trails and try to explain to them what we're about. Everyone seems respectful of all of our hard work and for the most part we are left alone.

Your story of the main digger going off into private property sounds just like me. I almost left my spot for a while cause of the old main crew falling apart but i came back this year determined to revamp the spot and get people excited about the trails again.

Your story helps keep things in perspective...

I wish ya the best with your next spot.