Quantcast

POC Trabec AM Helmet , when?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Does anyone know when the POC Trabec is going to be available to US distributors? I have been watching our shop's distro's and no sign...

In bad need of a replacement for my xen and I want to wait for this one...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
that helmet is sexy looking.

picked up a poc receptor bug for snowboarding and am pretty stoked on it. you can tell that they pay attention to the little details and turn out a quality product.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i didnt really ask for anyone's opinion so thanks...

This will most likely be the best AM helmet on the market this year, so can anyone provide useful information?

And def getting the black/white color

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
laugh all you want, but POC makes basically the best and safest helmets on the market.

manhattanporjktjrktj3... this is the first I've seen/heard of this lid. and i dig it. Shoot them an email with your questions, they've always been good at getting back to me within about 24 hours. Also, check with your LBS. I know that QBP carries their stuff, so there's the possibility it might be in their inventory.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
I had three of the MIPS Cortex DH dual skin helmets and every single one of them developed a fault witht he MIPS mechanism, quality control on that product SUCKED big time. The rest of the POC line is awesome.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Speaking of, anyone know of a multi-impact AM helmet?? Every nice helmet I've ever bought has been broken within a month. From either dropping it off of the bike, actually taking a crash on it, or clipping my head on a rock or tree. I have been looking at just getting a protec multi-impact skid lid, but the lack of venting for AM riding really turns me off. I really thought with POC multi-impact DH helmet, that the Trabec was going to be one as well.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I wonder if that's passed CPSC testing yet... Judging by the design I'd imagine that it would have a much harder time passing CPSC than the European CE standard. Actually, those vent-holes look like they were designed to fail the CPSC hemi test (which the CE test doesn't have). Wonder if it might be a Euro-only helmet?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is actually why I put the thread up, it hasnt hit the inventory yet...
email them. that's the best way to get an answer (if they have one to give). THeir primary focus is snow gear, MTB unfortunately plays second fiddle.

I had three of the MIPS Cortex DH dual skin helmets and every single one of them developed a fault witht he MIPS mechanism, quality control on that product SUCKED big time. The rest of the POC line is awesome.
really? i rode mine all season without an issue. had a few impacts, including a lawn dart. what signs did your helmet show that it had a problem?

Speaking of, anyone know of a multi-impact AM helmet?? Every nice helmet I've ever bought has been broken within a month. From either dropping it off of the bike, actually taking a crash on it, or clipping my head on a rock or tree. I have been looking at just getting a protec multi-impact skid lid, but the lack of venting for AM riding really turns me off. I really thought with POC multi-impact DH helmet, that the Trabec was going to be one as well.

the only other company i know of that makes multi impact rated lids is Bern

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wonder if that's passed CPSC testing yet... Judging by the design I'd imagine that it would have a much harder time passing CPSC than the European CE standard. Actually, those vent-holes look like they were designed to fail the CPSC hemi test (which the CE test doesn't have). Wonder if it might be a Euro-only helmet?

dunno about this particular lid, but their own internal testing seems far more stringent than most standards. I know the cortex dh passes astm 1952.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
CPSC uses a hemispherical object to smash helmets (in addition to others), which the European CE does not have. It's the reason CPSC helmets usually only have narrow rectangle vents, while CE-only helmets can have larger squares or circular vents. Not saying that it couldn't have passed in it's current state, just stating that it looks more like a CE than CPSC helmet design.

Shrug, time'll tell.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
laugh all you want, but POC makes basically the best and safest helmets on the market.

manhattanporjktjrktj3... this is the first I've seen/heard of this lid. and i dig it. Shoot them an email with your questions, they've always been good at getting back to me within about 24 hours. Also, check with your LBS. I know that QBP carries their stuff, so there's the possibility it might be in their inventory.
I'm into it, then again I wear a damn 15 buck 661 piss pot helmet all year round.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Any more news on this lid? Two different models of the same style right?
(Forget where I read that in a product release statement post Interbike.)

Expensive? Yes. When you think about what it's protecting? I'm down with a little extra dough spent helmet wise.

I'm not a big fan of loud, flashy graphics so the look of this (and pretty much all of POC's stuff) appeals to me... Plus, I'm a fan of basic black. Love the simple, utilitarian look of their full face, and now this, helmet.

One question.... I have a pretty large noggin. Used to only wear Bell stuff because of it. I'm talking 7 & 7/8 in a New Era fitted baseball hat.
Funny thing was that I don't fit a Giro Xen well... but the Large Hex (which I'm looking to replace) does fit ok... although it rides a little high on the skull for my tastes... Could be an oval vs. round thing, I dunno...

Heard that POC's stuff runs small... yet their site's size guides say that most of their stuff will go up into the 62cm range.
Any experience with the sizing?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Heard that POC's stuff runs small... yet their site's size guides say that most of their stuff will go up into the 62cm range.
Yeah, it runs small. I wear a L Louis Garneau XC helmet and a L Remedy for DH, and I can barely get into their XL/XXL.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One question.... I have a pretty large noggin. Used to only wear Bell stuff because of it. I'm talking 7 & 7/8 in a New Era fitted baseball hat.
Funny thing was that I don't fit a Giro Xen well... but the Large Hex (which I'm looking to replace) does fit ok... although it rides a little high on the skull for my tastes... Could be an oval vs. round thing, I dunno...

I'm in the same boat as you, big noodle (I think my new era size is 7+3/4"). I wear an XL 661. If my POC Cortex were any smaller, it wouldn't fit. Not sure how this translates to their non-full face lids.

My advice:

(A) try it on before you buy it

if that's not feasilble:

(B) order from somewhere with a good return policy.

Its not like you're on the fence between 2 sizes. It's either gonna fit you or it won't. You're at the limit of the largest size like me, so it may also depend on the shape & proportions of your head.

Last edited:

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Yeah...Good point... (fit or not) been that way with helmet sizing for most of my life... Got talked into a Remedy for my FF helmet by a buddy... slid his on.. a Large... was ok. Pushes a lot on my forehead.. but it eventually settled in... Bearable though... and that usually means a purchase as most stuff is a NO GO right from the start. I have to kind of lift away my goggles from my face with my index fingers at the same time as lifting up before yanking the helmet off but it's not a big deal...

I really wanted the Pro-Tec helmet that looks so much like the Trabec but their stuff... forget it for larger sizing.
Will have to wait until the POC is more readily avail. to try it on I guess...

Just checked and Chain Reaction is showing an XL/XXL size... although currently unavail....

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Not even in the QBP catalog yet, which means it's a ways out. Usually they list the item, but show it out of stock so you can get on the watch list months in advance.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Not even in the QBP catalog yet, which means it's a ways out. Usually they list the item, but show it out of stock so you can get on the watch list months in advance.
I saw that but if you notice qbp doesn't sell all of the stuff POC offers...Maybe this bad boy isnt making the line? It would be stupid but maybe they arent.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I saw that but if you notice qbp doesn't sell all of the stuff POC offers...Maybe this bad boy isnt making the line? It would be stupid but maybe they arent.
Also, North America tends to get stuff later than Europe. POC is based in Sweden I think. The EU is their primary market, and their mtb stuff plays second fiddle to their snow line.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Would love to be able to slide that XL/XXL on my noggin before ordering from CRC when they're in... Just don't want to have to keep the fingers crossed on both hands and have one puckered @zzhole until the moment of truth when it arrives here in the US.... Been there and done that and don't like the thought of having to ship anything back to the UK... Or, sell it for a greater loss here...