Quantcast

Police Cars

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
A few months ago, most of our high way patrol officers recieved new Chargers, our local police recieved Mitsubishi Lancers.

Some of this chargers are v8 5.7L & 340 hp, while the rest are v6 3.5L 250 HP
So what kind of police cars does your local police department uses.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
All our local cops have Chargers, state cops have the interceptor (police Crown Vic)

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
City of S.A. has a couple of the 'ghost' v8 chargers. Good to know they're using tax $$ on one of the most fuel-inefficient vehicles out there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They make police cars that are not Crown Vics???
Yeah thats the most common issue. Some have some FWD Chevy Impala's and recently some depts. are going with the Charger (most likely RWD, not AWD?)

I think in Europe you'll find BMWs, Subbies, and a rare Lamborghini but I don't know what is most common. I think NZ has mostly Holden(GM) Statesman?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They are in the process of switching to the Chargers around here.

The other day I saw a Magnum SRT8 Sheriff patty wagon that was awesome. I thought that was the dumbest car when I first saw the commercials, until a friend of mine bought an RT last year and I drove it. I can only imagine a high speed chase in the SRT8, wow.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I see a lot of NH state troopers with Chargers, my town has Crown vics and an Explorer SUV, VT has impalas, I saw a blacked out Vette in CT once.

I hear in Chicago they have these:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Lots of Chargers, mostly Crown Vic's, some Explorers for city cops.

RCMP has lots of marked slick top Camaro SS's and Mustang's.

There's one 02 Z06 stationed on the TransCanada in Saskatchewan.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Crown Vic's.
CHP has a couple older Mustang 5.0's too
There's also a Dodge Ram cop-truck in I.V.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Drive over a curb? A field?

That thing has no ground clearance.
you watch too much CHiPs. Let me guess, when buying a car you ask the salesman if it will flip and burst into flames when a ball rolls into the street......

jell-oe

Chimp
Jun 1, 2005
sunapee, NH
Local cops have impalas and an Expedition, staties all have the new chargers...I've talked to a statie, and he said that he has had his up to 140; and knowing him, it's true.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Local cops have Impalas, and an expedition.

State guys are getting tricky. Still got alot of interceptors/CV's, but they've got a few chargers, a dodge NEON (yes, a neon), and quite a few expeditions which are real annoying because you cant tell them from normal ones. On the way to school i drive past probably 2 speed traps and are passed by at least another 2 or 3 pace cars. For a while, after a real bad accident on i-95 a few weeks ago, they would park random cars with police decals before that spot that looked quite convincing.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i saw some undercovers in a mustang last week. on the other side of the fence some dude was dealing crack. ahhh Harlem

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
City of S.A. has a couple of the 'ghost' v8 chargers. Good to know they're using tax $$ on one of the most fuel-inefficient vehicles out there.
they get the same listed mileage as the crown vics but eek out almost 100 more HP at the wheels.

we drive crown vics right now but the rumor mill is leaning toward hemi chargers for next year.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure of the level of sarcasm in that remark, but the Charger averages about 25mpg with a Hemi. I doubt a Crown Vic gets anything near that good.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Between city, county and state there are Chargers, Crown Vics, Impalas, Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions and Camaros. I saw a picture of a Subie STi, but that maybe have been some promotional thing. In Aspen or Vail they used to have Saab 9-5s, but they've switched to Volvo XC 90s.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
My crown vic gets aoubt 9mpg average from typical po-po driving. we replace our cars at about 70k miles because 70k police miles is equivalent to about 200k teenage driver miles. we wear those cars slap out.

the v8 hemi charger and the crown vic both have a listed 17/25mpg but at least the charger cuts back to 4 cylinders when it is idling/low output. i test drove one a few months back and holy crap it was fast. a little bit smaller compartments than the crown vic but handled a lot better.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
State Troopers and piddly 'burb departments (my-dick-is-bigger-than-yours) here have Chargers, SLPD has Impalas.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
hey maybe someone can clear this out for me, i remember from a family trip to kona island seeing no real patrols, just regular trucks with roof strobes, so my question is, are those cars from private owners, or are they city property?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
in town we have chargers with v8, and we have a few impallas that suck because they have super slim lights on top and they can sneak up SO easily...... speaking of police cars can they check your speed if your driving twards them? if im going say an extra 10mph over the speed limit can they check that?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
hey maybe someone can clear this out for me, i remember from a family trip to kona island seeing no real patrols, just regular trucks with roof strobes, so my question is, are those cars from private owners, or are they city property?
Owned by local gov't (county, city). I know have seen the same thing. They just use trucks rather than cars

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The Interceptor (crown vic) got 12ish mpg (reported). I know the charger does better than that. Seattle has a couple but they are all doing speed trap duty. This used to be done all by motorcycle. I saw one peel out down the street the other day chasing a guy hauling ass in a 35 zone. I must say, much more impressive than a vic.

Our staters are almost all chargers and gold impalas. Non of them have light bars anymore.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
in town we have chargers with v8, and we have a few impallas that suck because they have super slim lights on top and they can sneak up SO easily...... speaking of police cars can they check your speed if your driving twards them? if im going say an extra 10mph over the speed limit can they check that?
Yes.

(extra characters for five character minimum)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
..... speaking of police cars can they check your speed if your driving twards them? if im going say an extra 10mph over the speed limit can they check that?
No, that's why I always punch it when I see a cop in the median. Also, if you hold your hand in front of your face as you pass it's impossible for them to identify you as the driver.