Quantcast

$ = Politics, right?

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
:mad: :mad: Home depot announced today that every single hourly (i.e. lower paid) employee worldwide at ALL it's companies (like Expo Design Center, etc.) will be cut back to a maximum of 37 hours a week. And that is for their dedicated fulltime employees! MEANWHILE, BOB NARDELLI, Home Depot's new CEO was recently granted a $20 million bonus just for signing on! Come on, Bob, sell that yacht and throw down some schwagg to your workers who deserve it. Make Home Depot the Hope Depot.

Now, while 3 hours a week may not sound like much, think of the $20/hour employee, who probably had to devote his/her life to getting to that salary level in their Home Depot career route, who now comes home $240 short a month. That hurts. Many of H.D.'s other employees are living hand to mouth as it is. This cut-back will seriously impact a lot of families.

And what are these poor suckers to do? As it is many are forced to work "unpaid" overtime just to keep up with their workloads & not get fired.

Be human, Bob, and cut your folks some slack.

In the meantime, don't buy the wood for your next North Shore project from the bright orange box. Boycott the Depot and Boycott their propaganda shows like Trading Spaces and Makeover.

:mad:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What's the significance of the 37 hour number? Is that a magical benefits number, or something?

edit: Source? I can't find anything on that in the news.

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
3 Hour cutback was what they needed to do to meet their predicted profits - gotta keep stockholders happy.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Double edge sword on this one. Yeah, Bobs a dickhead and doesn't deserve a $20 million bonus ... no one does, ever. BUT, cutting everyone by a few hours is far better than hacking away at the work force - wouldn't you agree? Or would you rather spin the wheel ... do I get 40 hours, or do I get walking papers ... c'mon lucky Four-Zero.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Exceptions will be made for those who are required to be there more than 37 hours. If they can't get their job done in that time, there's no way in hell Home Depot could allow an employee to not get paid. Doing so would be invited the employee to sue.

If an employee really needs the extra money, there's always a second job to be had.

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
reflux said:
Exceptions will be made for those who are required to be there more than 37 hours. If they can't get their job done in that time, there's no way in hell Home Depot could allow an employee to not get paid. Doing so would be invited the employee to sue.

If an employee really needs the extra money, there's always a second job to be had.
Ya get terminated if you do work overtime for free, yet if you don';t you don't get your job done & ya get fired.

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
ALEXIS_DH said:
are there hourly employees making 20 bucks an hour in home depot??

i thought they all got paid around minimum..
No, they get paid okay, but have to work hard for it.

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
narlus said:
if home depot needed to cut hours, trim the poor performers. don't cut everyone's hours across the board.

hello, Lowes!
Yep.

Although the bottom line here was that neither was trully necessary. Bob was trying to up his $20 million + in stock options.

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
Bob has recinded the 3 hour cut. Management said that it had something to do with the thousands of phone compaints as well as all the internet protest postings on forums like this. :evil:

Looks like it worked. Thanks for listening & responding everyone!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
if home depot needed to cut hours, trim the poor performers. don't cut everyone's hours across the board.

hello, Lowes!
Have you ever asked a Lowe's employee for help on how to fix something? In my expereince, Lowe's employees SUCK. :D They don't know dick and are not very helpful in the stores. Home Depot people are (generally speaking) a pleasure to deal with.