Quantcast

poll: Wheel Size for Dirt Jumping

What wheels size combination is best for a beginner dirt jumper?

• 26/26

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • 24/24

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • 26/24

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I am planning to build a dirt jump hardtail, so I'd like to know what you recommend for a beginning dirt jumper and why.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I think 26/26 is the easiest way to start, you'll keep more speed through a line, and its more stable. I do wish however that I could ride a 20 inch, but I'm far too much of wuss for that.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I would think that dual 24's would be better for the park, kinda like a BMX I guess. You can get some really nice hybrid dirt/street tires for 24's too, both Maxxis and Arrow make some sick ones.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
For dirtjumps and skatepark I can't imagine any serious advantage that 26" wheels would hold over 24s. So many people would make that 20" argument that I don't see any way that 24s wouldn't be better. But what do I know.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
There are plusses and minuses to all wheel sizes. 26's keep speed a little better but are harder to get up to speed, 24's get up to speed a little quicker, but seem to loose speed faster. I think there are better tricks that can be done with a 20", but me being the big sissy that I am I hate not having some suspension and no front brake.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Li'l Dave said:
There are plusses and minuses to all wheel sizes. 26's keep speed a little better but are harder to get up to speed, 24's get up to speed a little quicker, but seem to loose speed faster. I think there are better tricks that can be done with a 20", but me being the big sissy that I am I hate not having some suspension and no front brake.
It seems to me that the big plus of 26" wheels is that they roll over stuff more easily; thus "keep speed" better. On smooth dirtjumps and at the skatepark this is not an issue so 24's seem like a no brainer. Obviously the geometry of the frame is a huge factor...

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I agree, it really does depend on the frame. If the frame cam accept 26's I would just keep them, rather than putting 24's on. Otherwise, get a frame that is 24" specific.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
gyroscopic effect 20" is not as effective as 26"

20" = twitchy feeling coming off mtb(73-74 degree HA vs 69-70)
flickable, nimble
24" (cruiser)= more stable still twitchy (steep HA)

24" mtb= stable not as twitchy (slacker HA)

26" = stable not very flickable or nimble (unless you have a steep HA)

stable refers to in the air.
if your used to riding 20" some learn to jump on them as the skill tranfers straight to mtb.
if your not used to it and don't want to get fully rigid get a light mtb, skip the drivetrain and the front brake to save weight, ss, use a short travel fork.
i would suggest trying out a few dj bikes and find somehting your comfortable with if you can.

I do all three. But think of it in this manner..... you're just beginning.... stand a 20" bike next to a 26" bike...... do you really want to be that much further off of the ground when you get slammed????? YES>>>> IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But who am I to heckle.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I see what you're saying, but I fall way more often on the rare occasion that I ride a BMX bike, because I've grown up on a 26" MTB. And I doubt you would fall noticeably harder on a 26"--it hurts no mater what!

B

bigkonarider

I hate steep head angles --
so i run 24" r & 26" up front...
It works real good for me on a Large Bullet...
It all depends on the bike & geometry really...
shoot for 68* HA for 4x ...............in my opinon
:monkey:

Johnny Wadd

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Brooklyn
right now i am switching back and forth on my brooklyn park frame.
26X24 to 24X24.

not sure what i like better yet.

the 24X24 seems to be more work. like its not as easy to get the front up,
just means i have to pull up harder,

I really dont know yet, gonna keep the 24Xw24 for a while and see how it goes for me.

If i could have i would probablly run 26X26 but my frame is meant for 26X24 cant fit the 26 in the rear..