Quantcast

Portland freeriding?

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
http://www.pumpclub.org/files/pdx_mtbpark_proposal-1.1.pdf I wanted to say hello to you all. Ive been hanging out on NSMB for a while, but I was glad to find this site because it has to do with the area/places that I ride. I was interested to get some feedback on the link above. PUMP has proposed a freeride park in Washington park. Have you guys heard anything about this? Do you think it has a chance? Anybody know what we can do to help it along?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Yes, I've heard about the idea, but NO, I don't think it'll happen.

Portland Parks and Rec really have a bad taste about bike riding in washington park, the fact that the trail constantly gets rebuilt after being torn down shows them the mtb-ers that ride there are not only irresponsible but refuse to obey the laws. I'm not frowning upon not-so-legal trail building, but in this case we've pretty much screwed ourselves.

flydi007

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
asleep at my desk
i've heard about this park too and to be honest i don't think it'll happen either. considering that just to build 10 feet of singletrack to connect the fire roads in Forest Park it is going to cost $30,000 for environmental impact testing, i highly doubt the city is willing to invest in a much larger project than that.

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
deweydude said:
Since when do the words P.U.M.P. and freeride go together :confused:
I never thought I would here them both in the same paragraph
I never thought I'd quote Bob Dylan but maybe " the times they are ah changin' " I thought the location, Washington park couldn't have been a worse choice as far as getting the opposition up in arms. Put it right in the heart of " soccocer mom land " and watch it hit the fan! But maybe put it out past Linton on Hwy 30 and we might have a chance. Just a thought. :sneaky:

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
thruster said:
I am with you on this one Deweydude P.U.M.P. freeride yeh right as far as I know they were one of the main reasons one of our trails got torn down.

Illegal trails rule!! :D :D
are you thinking of the same trails I am thinking of? Have I ridden with you?
we had some conflicts with them back in the "OTB" days

elRey

Turbo Monkey
mmmm nothing like getting yelled at by angry MAX conductors. washington park was great when the jumps were there, it was lift access mountain biking in downtown portland!

i didnt thiink any monkeys knew about the stuff in washington park. :) :blah:

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
Yes proabaly the same trails you are thinking of. Yeh we have rode together on the same trails we just hang out with different groups.
Let me guess you are riding Dings old Norco.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
elRey said:
mmmm nothing like getting yelled at by angry MAX conductors. washington park was great when the jumps were there, it was lift access mountain biking in downtown portland!

i didnt thiink any monkeys knew about the stuff in washington park. :) :blah:
I've ridden the Zoo Trails, even done a couple photo / video shoots there.

I say, just load up the car and some buddies and drive to Falls City. Best trails around.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
TWISTED said:
I've ridden the Zoo Trails, even done a couple photo / video shoots there.

I say, just load up the car and some buddies and drive to Falls City. Best trails around.
i agree, most any other freeride trail is better than the trails at the zoo. i just ride there cuz its close and a MAX ticket costs a 1.15. any chance those photos or videos are online some where?

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
elRey said:
i agree, most any other freeride trail is better than the trails at the zoo. i just ride there cuz its close and a MAX ticket costs a 1.15. any chance those photos or videos are online some where?
I've got a DVD here. Only a handful got made though. The photos were taken by Karen Johanson. I think she's got a couple on here website.

Too much drinking last night. No riding today.
I'm thinking about some nice easy trail riding with the girfriend tomorrow.
Tim