Quantcast

Possible mid-Atlantic Monkeyfest?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
So, if we were to maybe do one in October, where would we have one, and what would the interest be in actually making an official one happen?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Tennie said:
No thank you.

Great first post :rolleyes:

I think its a great idea! Snowshoe is a good suggestion, but when does it close? If we want to do an XC/DH/Camping type of thing, we can always go out to Sherando and camp for a few nights, do an XC ride Sat, and do some shuttle runs Sunday. I'm down for somthing like that!

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
BigMike said:
Great first post :rolleyes:

I think its a great idea! Snowshoe is a good suggestion, but when does it close? If we want to do an XC/DH/Camping type of thing, we can always go out to Sherando and camp for a few nights, do an XC ride Sat, and do some shuttle runs Sunday. I'm down for somthing like that!
I would love to do one - As long as the wife will let me go I'm IN

How cool would it be to DH and XC in the same weekend'

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
How about somewhere near North River / Reddish Knob. Tons of great camping spots in the National Forest and epic riding of both the xc and moderate DH variety. We might have to worry about hunting season in Oct. though. I'm not sure when that starts exactly.

Konabumm said:
I would love to do one - As long as the wife will let me go I'm IN

How cool would it be to DH and XC in the same weekend'
Y'all need to come down to the souf and ride the Pisgah area. Forget the same weekend of DH/XC/shuttle - how about all that in the same ride:rolleyes:

Add to that the rattlesnakes, moonshine, and a certain way the locals look at you (think the movie "deliverence" :oink: :oink: :oink: ) and your sure to be in for a good time. Yeeeehaaawwww:weee:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
It sounds like a good idea and I also prefer the idea of an "XC/DH/Camping type of thing"...an opportunity to ride, camp, drink and raise hell w/o being hassled by the man. I'm not familiar with Sherando but places like Brush Mountain in Blacksburg or destinations in the I81/Harrisonburg/GWNF area spring to mind for me, personally. You know...places where you can do the entire thing for very little coin besides grillables, drinkables, smokables & gas.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
BigMike said:
Sounds GREAT to me! I was actually thinking of holding an semi-underground Super D race in this area this fall. My only issue is that My wedding is Oct. 14th and I imagine Oct. will be pretty busy for me.

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
jdschall said:
How about somewhere near North River / Reddish Knob. Tons of great camping spots in the National Forest and epic riding of both the xc and moderate DH variety. We might have to worry about hunting season in Oct. though. I'm not sure when that starts exactly.

This area definitely would be good. So much to ride, although crazies with guns in the woods is a little sketchy. But, if you ride fast enough, most of em wouldnt be able to hit you.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
In light of the manner in which all previous attempts at a Mid-Atlantic Monkeyfest have died on the vine, may I submit a little Langston Hughes-

A Dream Deferred
by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dhphoto said:
This area definitely would be good. So much to ride, although crazies with guns in the woods is a little sketchy. But, if you ride fast enough, most of em wouldnt be able to hit you.
I just checked VA's hunting regs. Muzzleloader season starts on the 11th of November. Rifle doesn't start until the 18th of November. Archery is in season, but those guys need to be real close to get a kill and at that range they would have to be freaking blind to mistake a MTB for a deer. In summary, that means Oct. is a good / great time to be in the National Forest.

Somebody step up and set a date and a location and make it happen... Ralph?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I'd like to suggest the weekend of Sept. 30th & Oct. 1st.

Places:

Either Sherando/Big Levels or Stokesville area of GWNF (Reddish area)

Riding: An XC ride, DH shuttle runs, possible Super D race (for fun).

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
jdschall said:
I just checked VA's hunting regs. Muzzleloader season starts on the 11th of November. Rifle doesn't start until the 18th of November. Archery is in season, but those guys need to be real close to get a kill and at that range they would have to be freaking blind to mistake a MTB for a deer. In summary, that means Oct. is a good / great time to be in the National Forest.

Somebody step up and set a date and a location and make it happen... Ralph?
and im pretty sure you cant hunt in national forests anyway

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
BIRDMAN111 said:
and im pretty sure you cant hunt in national forests anyway

National Forests yes. National Parks no.

edit: Dates to avoid: Oct 13-15. The MORE mtb club is having a big gathering near Douthat. It looks like all local campsites are already booked for that weekend.

Labor Day weekend (Sept 2-3-4) can be pretty crazy too. Lots of campers.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
jdschall said:
National Forests yes. National Parks no.

edit: Dates to avoid: Oct 13-15. The MORE mtb club is having a big gathering new Douthat. It looks like all local campsites are already booked for that weekend.

Labor Day weekend (Sept 2-3-4) can be pretty crazy too. Lots of campers.
oh yeah youre right

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
mud'n'sweat said:
I'd like to suggest the weekend of Sept. 30th & Oct. 1st.

Places:

Either Sherando/Big Levels or Stokesville area of GWNF (Reddish area)

Riding: An XC ride, DH shuttle runs, possible Super D race (for fun).

excellent idea, Im sure there would be a decent turn out of locals from the harrisonburg area too. Most of them are cool, so it would only add to it

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Hey, I would try to make the trip from the Burgh, (as long as work and family obligations permit)

sounds like a cool time!

anyone check out (I think it is) Big Bear Lake? I think it is in West Virginia. A bunch of friends just got back from a camping trip there this past weekend... I will find out more about the riding and camping situation if you'd like!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
dhphoto said:
excellent idea, Im sure there would be a decent turn out of locals from the harrisonburg area too. Most of them are cool, so it would only add to it
Nice, I've really been wanting to meet more riders from the h-burg area. I now live in the shenandoah side of afton and predominantly ride at all the spots between Staunton and H-burg. It would be great to meet up with more people out this way.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
sirknight6 said:
So who wants to organize it?
I'd love to, but I don't want to overextend my help where I may not be able to deliver. This is exactly 2 weeks before my wedding. Who knows what kind of craziness my girl has in store for me. I need to find some valium to slip to her for a solid couple weeks leading up to the day! :rofl:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
sirknight6 said:
Wow, not even married yet and whipped already! :p

:rofl: :D
Yeah, we've been together 6 years. She's proven to be pretty cool. Definitely not your typical women, although some of the standard tendencies are still kind of there. :help: :rofl:

Aside from getting wedding crap done right before my big day, there wouldn't be a problem.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Partly to revive a lost thread and partly because I'm avoiding bumping my own, what is going on for folks on Oct. 21-22??? My local riding buds either work or are adapting to life with new babies that weekend and I've already cleared it with the other boss. I can leave as early as Friday evening after work and don't have to be home until Sunday night.

I've been looking at Sherando Lake and it's looking cool- camping, riding...even fishing.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
damn...i feel compelled to help, but i probably have no clue what I'm in for.
You could always propose something for Elizabeth Furnace/Reddish Knob! I'm seriously considering Sherando for 10/21-22 but would be happy to drive an hour less to get to my destination. I've never hit up the GW/JNF area trails anyways and hear a couple runs are even partially shuttleable.

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
You could always propose something for Elizabeth Furnace/Reddish Knob! I'm seriously considering Sherando for 10/21-22 but would be happy to drive an hour less to get to my destination. I've never hit up the GW/JNF area trails anyways and hear a couple runs are even partially shuttleable.
crap, actually, I'm gonna be in Portland Maine that weekend...so no luck on that idea