Quantcast

Possible noobie DH'er in Portland

FlynHawaiian

Chimp
Jul 7, 2003
Hey All-

I just recently moved to Portland (Fairview, near Gresham to be exact) and as soon as I get my fat a$$ into shape, I'd like to try DH. Not races or chutes or ladders, and nothing technical.

Is there a place with a chair lift that an outta shape noobie can learn to ride his gravity sled? How's Ski Bowl? Are there any camps or seminars to help teach people how to DH? Or should I hook up with a bunch of riders that would help me out as they laugh their a$$es off when I crash and burn?

Also, what shops do you folks recommend for repairs and specifically who would you ask for to work on your bike?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
mb

flydi007

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
asleep at my desk
i've never been to ski bowl but i hear it's nice and am planning on heading up there in the near future. i'm still relatively new to DH, so if you want someone to ride with/laugh at let me know. also, my husband works out at performance in beaverton. they've got some good mechanics out there-mainly skip and rob. they know their ****.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
FlynHawaiian said:
Hey All-

I just recently moved to Portland (Fairview, near Gresham to be exact) and as soon as I get my fat a$$ into shape, I'd like to try DH. Not races or chutes or ladders, and nothing technical.

Is there a place with a chair lift that an outta shape noobie can learn to ride his gravity sled? How's Ski Bowl? Are there any camps or seminars to help teach people how to DH? Or should I hook up with a bunch of riders that would help me out as they laugh their a$$es off when I crash and burn?

Also, what shops do you folks recommend for repairs and specifically who would you ask for to work on your bike?

Thanks,
mb
Don't know how far Willamette Pass is from you..but they have lift access. It's fun there too!

sugarNspice

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Portland, OR
I'm in the same boat. I need to get my butt in shape & I would love to try DH too. I just need a new rig first with lotsa travel. :) That & to get into shape.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
FlynHawaiian said:
Hey All-

Thanks,
mb

Aww Marv, I told you - just come back up and we'll hit Whistler.

OldBikerdad

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Gresham, Or
I Just bought A new Freeride/Downhill Bike And am looking for People to ride Light freeride and Downhill With. I have Wendsdays/Thursdays off from work and I would be in to shuttling or Ski Bowl.

Drop me A message if interested Jeff

FlynHawaiian

Chimp
Jul 7, 2003
Wassup Loreto-

Riding in Whistler with you was great. But I would like to get in much BETTER shape and get some skills before I hold you back again, ha, ha, ha.

Marv

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
The best shop in the P-town area is Universal cycles, on columbia in NE portland. They have or can get just about anything you want. I dunno about camps or seminars in this area, but I'd say just go out and get used to riding your new bike. We might shuttle somewhere this weekend if the rain holds out, but that's not looking too likely.

FlynHawaiian

Chimp
Jul 7, 2003
Hey-

Thanks to all those that responded to my post.

I will certainly check out Universal Cycles.

Hopefully someday soon I can hook up with you folks to do some slow and easy DH'n (as soon as I can get back to having one chin. Ha,ha,ha).

Aloha,
Marv

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
Hey Noob,

There just so happen to be TWO good shops in your immediate vicinity, either of which can serve your needs for advice, tech help, and maybe even some people to ride with; Gresham Bikes and Shiloh Cyclery, both in Gresham and should be in your local Directory. At Gresham, talk to Larry, he's an MTB friendly BMXer and he has a bigger bike too, so he's not just tolerant, he actually rides and enjoys freeride/dh. Shiloh is chock full of DH'ers, starting with Brad, the owner, wrench, and all around good guy. Shiloh also has a cool collection of old Stingrays that I always like looking at. Hit me with a PM and I'll be happy to hook up with you sometime when I'm OR, I work down there a few days a month and am always looking for a new spot to ride while in town, maybe we can explore together.

Oh, and I know how you feel about not wanting to hold people back, but you'll find that in Freeride/DH there's really a lot of people who would love to give you a good ride or two, and help you along a bit, despite a large difference in skill level. I ride with people all the time who grossly outclass my skill set, but they still call, and I still go, whenever I'm lucky enough to be able to make the invite! Have fun, don't sell yourself short, and you'll be hanging with the big dogs in no time.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Ryan and I (eknomf) are getting ready to go do some light downhilling right now. We'd like to go shuttle Syncline. It's located out across the river from Hood River and I'll bet isn't too muddy, might not be muddy at all. I think that would be the perfect place for you to practice, unless you fall of the cliff.
Anyone out there looking to do some riding today?
Tim