Quantcast

Post Canyon information

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Here is some information I recently sent out to HR riders. This affects area riders, particularly from Portland, so it bears posting here:

"The Hood River County Recreational Trails Committee was created by the County Commissioners for the purpose of advising the County on recreational activities in their forestlands. The committee is comprised of outdoor enthusiasts representing mountain bikers, equestrians, hikers, ORV users, and other citizens, including a member of the Forest Advisory Council. The Committee is led by the County Forester.

We, Jen Bisset and Chris Bernhardt, are your mountain bike reps. We want to keep you informed of what is going on with the committee, and we want to make sure we are accurately representing your interests.

On Tuesday, April 20, the Committee met for the first time. The following issues were discussed:
- The initial work of the Committee will focus on the westside forestlands. This area encompasses Post Canyon to Kingsley Reservoir.
- Several of the lower Post Canyon trails and the trailhead are on private land not owned by the County. The County is anxious to meet with these landowners and secure access agreements with them so that people will be able to continue to use these facilities.
- The County Forester noted that the Post Canyon area is seeing a high level of use, and that environmental degradation has occurred. It is anticipated that remediation projects and trail re-routes will be undertaken in the future, particularly to protect and enhance the streams.
- One of the first tasks assigned to the Committee is to map the existing trails in the westside area. Once an accurate trail inventory has been created, the Committee can move forward on determining what action, if any, needs to be taken.
- The County Forester has asked that all trailbuilding be put on hold until the existing trails are mapped and the Committee has had a chance to evaluate the situation.
- The committee hopes to have a first draft of the comprehensive map done in the next 6 weeks. At that point we will meet again to assign “zones” before going out into the field to verify what is on the map.

Please contact us if you have any questions/comments. Meetings are open to the public, so please feel free to attend.

Jen Bisset (jenniferb@summitprojects.com)
Chris Bernhardt (gorgechris@yahoo.com)"

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
Thanks for the info. I have heard many rumblings regarding land south of Hood River and "wilderness designation," but nothing about Post Canyon questions or conflicts.

How does this change what GFRA is doing? Will this affect the timing on replacement to "two chair," or extension to "GP," or the graduated drops that were to be built through the "IMBA" grant GFRA was just awarded? Also GFRA has a map that is basically done- but I'm sure you know this...

If I can help any let me know... I'm all over the place- so I am in contact with people all over the State that use Post Canyon. I'm also in town there every couple of weeks...

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by roamingoregon
Thanks for the info. I have heard many rumblings regarding land south of Hood River and "wilderness designation," but nothing about Post Canyon questions or conflicts.

How does this change what GFRA is doing? Will this affect the timing on replacement to "two chair," or extension to "GP," or the graduated drops that were to be built through the "IMBA" grant GFRA was just awarded? Also GFRA has a map that is basically done- but I'm sure you know this...

If I can help any let me know... I'm all over the place- so I am in contact with people all over the State that use Post Canyon. I'm also in town there every couple of weeks...
Thanks for checking in. Lots going on with the Wilderness Issue; there is a meeting going on tonight. Click here for details.

For additional info on the HR Co. work, click here. There is not any pressing or urgent issue with PC. The County has been incredibly pro-active and very understanding. We are very fortunate to be involved in this process, and not simply shut down and shut out. Best way to stay informed is to email Jen and ask her to put you on the distribution list for the information.

You'll need to check with GFRA about their plans to continue/finish work. One of their members has been very involved in the process, and was there when the County Forester made his request. GFRA has been very candid about their map, and will be sharing the information with the County GIS coordinator to help with the initial mapping of the trails.

GFRA returned the grant for the beginner drop trail. Apparently there was some miscommunication between myself and GFRA when I wrote and submitted the grant on their behalf. In any case, we are forming another group to go ahead and build the drop trail, likely in the Family Man area, over the summer.

Keep in touch!

EDIT: added info