Quantcast

Post work ride on a beautiful night

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MBC and I hooked up with MMcG for a jaunt through our local convenience spot. MMcG was a little worried about his legs holding up since he's hasn't been able to do as much riding as he would have liked so far this year. But as I expected, he kicked butt and did just fine.

Sunny and 85 today after work. Take away the swarms of mosquitos and it would have been perfect. Boy are the mosquitos harsh so far this year.

I had a strange instace of my tire separating from the rim about halfway through the ride. Not sure what that was all about.

Anyway, two hours and eight miles later, a great ride was finished.

A few pics...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mark on a pile of logs.

MBC pedaling along. Pedal pedal pedal...

New toy to play on!

Mark gave it a try too.

More logs.

Not my best collection of pics, but you get the idea. :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good Times Good Times!!! I'm diggin how the 29er handles those type of log crossings...no fork dive once you get up and are heading over and the big wheels help to smooth things out considerably!!

IAB got a nice huck in during the ride, but I wasn't ready with my camera to catch him in mid-flight. I took a few pics, I'll get em up later.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mackie said:
And he's had it for significantly longer than any other bike he's owned!:thumb:
Ha, awesome point!!

Great pics and a great post work ride!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
IAB got a nice huck in during the ride, but I wasn't ready with my camera to catch him in mid-flight.
Heh, I forgot how big that drop was when you add in the tranny landing. I was in the air longer than I really expected. :clue:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Again it was a great ride. The trails were in really good shape and the weather was ideal.

Here are a few pics from my camera. The best one MBC took. I suck at taking photos.

Here's IBA doing his best Ryan Leech trials riding impression on a short log ride early on in our loop:

MBC just riding along:

Phil up and over a pile of logs:

Me over the same spot (photo taken by MBC - not how hers is much better than my photo of Phil):

Phil coming around a slightly tricky uphill switchback (hard to tell from the photo):

Phil coming up a rocky uphill section, just before his wheels slipped out from under him (same thing happened to me in about the same spot - weird):

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I Are Baboon said:
It's about 10 minutes off 84.

From 91, you catch 691 in Meriden CT to 84 in Southington CT. Real easy to get to.

Huh?!? That's waaaay out of the way.

From 91S to take 84W (in Htfd) to the Rte 4 exit. Go right off the exit and the Res will be up a little ways on the left.

Where was my invite? :mumble:

Great pics!

splat

Nam I am
tonyhawk said:

From 91S to take 84W (in Htfd) to the Rte 4 exit. Go right off the exit and the Res will be up a little ways on the left.

Great pics!

I Will be coming from Bridge port , I will be on the bridgeport ferry, leaving port jefferson NY at 4:00 arrving Bridgeport 5:15 ( this is next thursday 6/29 )

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
tonyhawk said:

Great pics!
Couldn't he come up Rt 8 from Bridgeport and then 84 East to Exit 39??

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
the only thing with riding the Res that late is that you'll have to haul major ass or do a shortened loop to avoid the MDC police who like everyone out of there at dusk.

splat

Nam I am
tonyhawk said:
Aha - nevermind. I had thought you were coming from MA.
Yeah I will be spending 2 days down in Islandia,NY figured I stop by for a CT ride for my Thursday Night ride.

MMcG said:
the only thing with riding the Res that late is that you'll have to haul major ass or do a shortened loop to avoid the MDC police who like everyone out of there at dusk.

so I guess I wouldn't need lights :rofl:

OK so at that time what would you reccomend, coming from bridgeport ?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
perhaps Tonyhawk can recommend a good lights on friendly ride destination.
or maybe a closer destination?

Miller's Pond in Durham is about 10-15 minutes off exit 11 on Rte 9. We've been working with the land manager to build new trails here - one last year and one this year. Combined with a network of abandoned singletrack we found and cleared on the North side of Foothills Rd (see map), there's a solid 8 mile loop that is very technical with many natural log rides and other enhancements.

Since it's closer to Bridgeport than the WH Res by about half an hour, you can probably get there by 6 for a 2 hour tour.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
ukjason said:
Where do you get those ridemonkey tops from?

They were sold last year on a one-off kind of deal.

Perhaps there could be enough interest to do another run.

Might be a good idea to post a thread in the lounge to see if there would be enough interest to merit doing a second run of the jerseys.

MJM