Quantcast

Potato guns?

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
I've seen potato guns in a lot of mtb flicks. Now tell me: How do they work and how do you build one?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Lots of info out there, just google it. Mine was made from 2" schedule 80 pvc with a 3 foot barrel for portability. The chamber had a removable cap on the back where the AquaNet was sprayed in. It was fired with a gas grill piezo electric ignitor.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
squarewheels said:
just google it.
also, bevel the end of the barrel so that it cuts the potatoes to fit.
Bevel the inside edge rather than the outside edge so it compresses the ammo. :sneaky:

basic design that works well -- 2" diameter 4' barrel joined to a 4" diameter 2' chamber. Piezo sparker to trigger. Engine starter makes a good propellant; you know, when gasoline isn't good enough :evil: .

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
The best birthday present I ever got was a potato gun made out of PVC pipe and gorilla glue, with a ball valve and a presta valve on the end. With about 100psi., it was strong enough to dent a portapotty with frozen brussell sprouts from 100ft. And much better than one using propellants because they don't explode in your face.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Barbaton said:
Bevel the inside edge rather than the outside edge so it compresses the ammo. :sneaky:

basic design that works well -- 2" diameter 4' barrel joined to a 4" diameter 2' chamber. Piezo sparker to trigger. Engine starter makes a good propellant; you know, when gasoline isn't good enough :evil: .
helluva chamber you got there!
good call on the internal bevel. mine was on the outside since that's easier to make, just run it on a bench grinder for a minute. how'd you do the inside edge?