Quantcast

Powerball is now at $365 million

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Powerball jackpot hits new record
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Another record lottery jackpot is up for grabs.

With no winner Wednesday, the multistate Powerball jackpot jumped to $365 million for Saturday's drawing, the largest jackpot in U.S. lottery history.

The previous record for a U.S. lottery was $363 million in the Big Game, the forerunner of Mega Millions. It was won by two ticket holders in Illinois and Michigan in 2000. The last Powerball record was $340 million, won by an Oregon family in October.

Powerball tickets are sold in 28 states, along with the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

However...

There's No Way To Increase Powerball Odds
David Highfield

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH The Powerball drawing Wednesday night was worth $300 million.

Shady Side Academy statistics teacher Richard Tony said that there is not good way to increase the odds of winning – other than buying one ticket with every combination of numbers.

Whether it is playing the same numbers each time or any other system of picking, Tony said nothing increases the odds.

KDKA’s David Highfield reports that 70 percent of the people that play the Powerball allow the machine to automatically pick their numbers.

Of the people who have won the Powerball, 70 percent of the winners let the machine pick their numbers.

Tony said that it’s all random and the percentages don’t necessarily mean anything.

The odds in winning the Powerball are one in 146,000,000.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Until some "sucker" wins... I think you would change your position if someone handed you that check...
Don't give me that, Numbnuts. :rolleyes:

Lotteries are for suckers, plain and simple.

How about this - you keep playing the lottery for the next 40 years and I'll invest an equivalent amount. Let's see who ends up with more at the end.

:p

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
You could buy Ridemonkey just to ban N8. Please buy a ticket!
:stupid: I am going to partner with Skookum. He is psychic, and I must be too. I even have N8 on ignore and knew that he would start a thread about the lottery. Skookum and I could rule the world.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The largest lottery in the world is the Spanish lottery during Christmas time. However, the pot isn't taken by one person, it's spread out over a very large number of winners. Almost everyone knows someone who wins each year, but that's because EVERYONE buys a ticket. The tickets are over $20 a pop, and the average win is about $80,000-60,000. Most winners split the money with their families. This is a totally different idea of a lottery, and I definitely respect it. Hardly anyone aggrees with me, but I'd rather win $80,000, pay off college, abroad, and buy a small truck than win $340 million and not know who my friends are.

J

JRB

bikenweed said:
<snip> but I'd rather win $80,000, pay off college, abroad, and buy a small truck than win $340 million and not know who my friends are.
:stupid: Well - I wouldn't mine $250k, but that would make things golden for me. I could be really content, and still work.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
SkaredShtles said:
Lotteries are for suckers.
I tend to agree...I think I've played the California Lottery probably 5 times in my life--that includes scratch off tickets.

However, someone always wins and you can't win if you don't play. With that being said, I'm not saying that people should drop their paycheck on lottery tickets, but a buck here or there for a ticket isn't too big of deal.

When I was a kid, one of my neighbors won $465,000 from the lottery and my uncle won $80,000. It is possible to win...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:

How about this - you keep playing the lottery for the next 40 years and I'll invest an equivalent amount. Let's see who ends up with more at the end.

The $20 a week lottery player is an idiot (total $1040 for the year). The person is who buys $5 of Powerball tickets because he would get $340 million dollars (29 yearly paydays of $11.7 million) is playing a dream at best.

I am going to buy $5 of Powerball tickets. I might even check it Sunday night if I remember.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bikenweed said:
Hardly anyone aggrees with me, but I'd rather win $80,000, pay off college, abroad, and buy a small truck than win $340 million and not know who my friends are.
If I had 340 million I wouldn't need any friends. I would just buy everyone. :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:

Did I play it? No. "Numbnuts"...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Talking about Powerball dreams, this is going to be mine:

Heading to Chile with my DH, Trail, and XC bikes in the back.

Skeg

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
This topic always comes around when the pot get's HUGE...

I just love how the losers stand on the sidelines and say that people playing are losers wasting their money.

It's really sad. :nopity:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
A buddy of mine had a bumper sticker which read: " The Lottery: A tax on people who can't do math"

I've never bought a lottery ticket but I do daydream about what I would do w/ the winnings. Maybe I'll grab a ticket tomorrow at one of the friendly neighborhood pilot stations along w/ a bottle of st. ides.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Nothing really. If people want to give their money away voluntarily to the gummint, that's their choice. :D
That was really a yes/no question.