Quantcast

Pressing in sealed headsets

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
So i've got my first sealed bearing headset (raceface diablous), and I'm about to install it. I've got access to a park headset press.

Only thing is I'm a little concerned about applying that much preasure on the bearings. I was given advice by a freind to take off all the shims on the headset press and press against the headset cup flanges. So is this how it's done? I'm a little skeptical.

Thanks

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
Ensure that the tool doesn't contact the actual bearing - but merely presses the outside diameter of the cup instead. You could use the tool to press on the inside diameter of the cup, but it may damage the headset.

Also face your head tube, if it's not done already...good luck!

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
can't you just pull the sealed bearings out and press the cups in by themselves? seems like that's how I've seen other sealed bearing headsets go in before.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
the idea of that press is that it fits on the inside part of the sealed barring and/or the outside cup part depending weather or not it can take the load....kinda like this,
maybe you should have a shop dude or someone with "real" experience other than your friend.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
can't you just pull the sealed bearings out and press the cups in by themselves? seems like that's how I've seen other sealed bearing headsets go in before.
I have found that that is generaly a bad idea. They are usually pressed in and retained with loctite. Pulling the bearing out with the wrong tool can destroy it. There is really no way for you to reach inside the cup and under the bearing to pull up on the edge of the bearing that presses against the cup. In extreme cases, it is possible to ovalize the cup (not headtube).

I would look around. I thought the Park cam with some adapters. I have seen some headsets where the adapter fits down inside the HS without touching the bearing, but they can get wedged in.

You could always just make some shims out of wood. Thats who I do it. The edge of the cup will press into it, helping to stop it from slipping.

Old_Dude

Monkey
I used a 2 x 4 x 4 (1 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 actual) and very carefully tapped my sealed bearings in . . . piece of cake.

To help make this process much easier, I hung the rear of my frame with a bungee in my bike stand so that the head tube was perpendicular to the top of my wooden workbench. Also, I placed the base of the head tube directly above the leg of the bench and just tap, tap, tap and in it went - no prolblem. When I installed the other bearing into the reverse end of the head tube it was the same process - just have to negotiate the bungee a little to make sure the head tube is perpendicular to the bench top.

I guess I shouldn't have done this but I did use a wee bit of Phil grease inside the head tube - between the outside wall of the bearing and the inside wall of the head tube. Oh well, it works great. (sorry about the crappy photo - and yeah, that's tape on my frame)