Quantcast

Pressing out headset

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
But seriously, in the era of skinny headtubes, deep-insert cups made sense for increasingly long forks, yah? If you couldn't add girth you could go deeper...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But seriously, in the era of skinny headtubes, deep-insert cups made sense for increasingly long forks, yah? If you couldn't add girth you could go deeper...
Had to run the 180mm 66...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I can't recall the application for which I originally obtained the Steelset. I am sure it was ill-advised.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The more I think about this, the more I think kerf cuts are the way to go. If I can get two near each other and use a punch on the cup to free the slice from the headtube, I can actually use some of my work stuff to assist as Westy noted. Got a hand-pumped hydraulic spreader/cutter (Jaws of Life style) that I could use to squeeze the remaining headset and hopefully peel it away from the HT a bit more.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Thread a hack saw balde through that bitch.
Cut fast at first then slow your roll and check after each cut.
About 60* from each other, knock the piece in.
Tap the rest out easy peasy

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think my old Nicolai frame "needed" to have a cup with a full inch of pen to keep the Germans happy.
They would not have liked the 1deg headset that went in to it.

EDIT- Are the steel cups hardened? Could be a lot of hacksawing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think my old Nicolai frame "needed" to have a cup with a full inch of pen to keep the Germans happy.
They would not have liked the 1deg headset that went in to it.

EDIT- Are the steel cups hardened? Could be a lot of hacksawing.
I would doubt it, a hardened cup would be prone to cracking. You want such a component to be tough but not hardened.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I would doubt it, a hardened cup would be prone to cracking. You want such a component to be tough but not hardened.
That's what happened to a steel cup one I had, couldn't work out why my steering got heavy.
Possibly an FSA......?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Kerf width was all I needed. Used a hacksaw threaded through HT for most of it.

Cut the cup down most of the way with a Dremel to meet the kerf on the insert portion and then saw-bladed them together till it seemed only a paper thin layer remained.

Hit it round the cup rim with a hammer to loosen it, figuring it had room to collapse and pull away from the wall now, and then tried the standard cup remover. Knocked out easy.

Put it back in by hand as a guard while I do the other side. But I apparently need more hacksaw blades, so I will let this Festivius miracle sit tight for later.

received_1075025106617211.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So...after all my headset work, it is as it always is. Should have left it alone.

Really didn't like the feel of the angled set at all. Alloy Chris King back in.

Anyone need a 1 1/8" 1.5 degree angled headset??

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
So...after all my headset work, it is as it always is. Should have left it alone.

Really didn't like the feel of the angled set at all. Alloy Chris King back in.

Anyone need a 1 1/8" 1.5 degree angled headset??
You got 1.5 degrees from your headset? My works headset eeks out just one degree. I did like that better. I'd go for way more ... but not really at the expense of reach. I'm happy to just continue to ride it as is.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's from the guy on Pinkbike who machines them and claims 1.5 degrees.

Want to give it a try?

If you liked it, I'd take your 1 degree in trade...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It's from the guy on Pinkbike who machines them and claims 1.5 degrees.

Want to give it a try?

If you liked it, I'd take your 1 degree in trade...
Thanks, but no. I have a matched set and I don’t want to faff for 1/2 a degree.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, personally, I think a dropper, wide bars, short stem and decent reach all combined are far more effective than 3 degrees of HTA. I'd much rather have a dropper and 70HTA than 65 and no dropper. I'm not an advocate for super-steep HTA...but I think the amount a slack HTA helps/benefits has been blown way way out of proportion by the industry and every social media shrill.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Well, personally, I think a dropper, wide bars, short stem and decent reach all combined are far more effective than 3 degrees of HTA. I'd much rather have a dropper and 70HTA than 65 and no dropper. I'm not an advocate for super-steep HTA...but I think the amount a slack HTA helps/benefits has been blown way way out of proportion by the industry and every social media shrill.
I haven't been riding much over the last year but for the whole time I have had no dropper on my ~64deg hardtail, I'd go no dropper over a 70deg HA.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I also know how to ride a bit... so there's that. I'd take where I am + dropper over no dropper and fewer degrees. The days of stopping to lower the seat at the top of the hill are long gone.