Quantcast

Presta tube in Schrader wheel?

tolleyman

Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Anyone know of any known problems doing this. The lock ring on the presta stem seems to cover the schrader hole okay.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
They make inserts for the valve hole(using these on a pair of wheels right now) or you could go to the hardware store and pick up a rubber grommet. I have also done it running a nut on the inside. There is a small possibility that the rubber at the base of the presta valve will squeeze into the hole and get sheared.

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
yeah just put the lockring on the inside of the rim and mabye one on the outside as well if your paranoid. it should work fine. or you could just cough up the few bucks and buy the right tube.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Some presta lockrings(I never use) have a shoulder milled into them to fill the schrader hole in the rim to keep the presta stem stable.

Really the only time you might have trouble running a presta in a schrader hole is using a mini pump to inflate the tire.

J

JRB

I use inserts on some and the nuts on some. They both work fine. The little rubber grommets for firewalls work. I think it's the 3/16" ones that work well.